Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I stopped listening to Viz's podcast a couple of months ago, I will listen to it this week to see if Sasaki say anything about the whole Kenshin thing since he was its editor and often brag about how he was pretty involved in making the manga
I just listened to the news segment, and no mention of the Watsuki situation. The podcast seemed really low energy from what I listened to compared to usual. I don't know if the news story has anything to do with it.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I can't imagine we'll see another Red Sprite/Love Rush situation any time soon.
What exactly happened to Love Rush that made it get axed so quickly? Immediate garbage reception and/or absolutely terrible first volume sales? I read it and it seemed like a Monster Musume knockoff. I remember not liking the ending, but that's about all the impression it left on me
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
I've said it multiple times before, but the artwork for Cross Account is by and large the strongest aspect of the series. I'd definitely take a look at this book on the bookshelf if I was unfamiliar with the series with a cover like that
Cross Account is definitely stronger. Out of all the covers this time, it would also be the only one that I pick up if I didn't know what all of these series are about.
Date's art is nothing special though. His use of screentone lets him polish the final image into a result that seems good, but underneath the supeficial details hide weak basics. His human anatomy is all over the place, and he often gets the perspective wrong. The double spread with a girl lying on her back from a few chapters ago shows you just how much of an amateur artist Date remains to this day.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What exactly happened to Love Rush that made it get axed so quickly? Immediate garbage reception and/or absolutely terrible first volume sales? I read it and it seemed like a Monster Musume knockoff. I remember not liking the ending, but that's about all the impression it left on me

It just ranked really badly like any quick failure. I actually quite liked the ending, we got a good full relationship arc out of it where the MC got together with a girl in a reasonable amount of time in a pretty natural-feeling way which is very rare for shounen romance (and of course wouldn't have happened if it lasted longer). Honestly the monster girl aspect was the weakpoint of the series, it was just kind of intrusive and there for gags.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Is there really anything in Kimetsu..Yaiba that would appeal to me?
The main characters are cute siblings who are supported by a wholesome cast of cute and honest and brave boys who stand by each other against the overwhelming odds. You just don't know yet how much you are missing this in your life.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The main characters are cute siblings who are supported by a wholesome cast of cute and honest and brave boys who stand by each other against the overwhelming odds. You just don't know yet how much you are missing this in your life.
Well thats in line what what I love in the magazine so Ill check the manga out soon. Perhaps Ive been wrong all this time.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
What exactly happened to Love Rush that made it get axed so quickly? Immediate garbage reception and/or absolutely terrible first volume sales? I read it and it seemed like a Monster Musume knockoff. I remember not liking the ending, but that's about all the impression it left on me
it's just really bad.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
Date's art is nothing special though. His use of screentone lets him polish the final image into a result that seems good, but underneath the supeficial details hide weak basics. His human anatomy is all over the place, and he often gets the perspective wrong. The double spread with a girl lying on her back from a few chapters ago shows you just how much of an amateur artist Date remains to this day.
Very true. Which is why it speaks volume about the quality of this batch of cover arts when his cover is the most eye-catching.

Although Haikyuu cover's weird angle and Kimetsu's white background are starting to grow on me.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Is there really anything in Kimetsu..Yaiba that would appeal to me?
There's A LOT of bromance, after about 10-15 chapters, 2 new main characters are introduced and they form a trio. The idiot trio is quite charming, it definitely saved the series for me.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
should delete every fake TOCs from now on to prevent confusion~

No point to look at/translate fake ToC
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Kimetsu no Yaiba is up for pre-order on Amazon. It looks like Viz is calling it Demon Slayer.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Kimetsu no Yaiba is up for pre-order on Amazon. It looks like Viz is calling it Demon Slayer.
Yeah, we've known this for a while, they're also leaving in the Kimetsu No Yaiba part.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Or course, it is similar to Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma. Outside of manga readers, I never see anyone call it Shokugeki no Soma anymore, just Food Wars. I imagine it'll happen with Demon Slayer too once its anime hits.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Or course, it is similar to Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma. Outside of manga readers, I never see anyone call it Shokugeki no Soma anymore, just Food Wars. I imagine it'll happen with Demon Slayer too once its anime hits.
I don't know about that, Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty easy to remember, I can see why people prefer to say Food Wars because it's shorter and easier to remember over Shokugeki no Soma.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Does anyone have that image or list where it said at what chapter manga got their anime announcements? (From WSJ)
 
Last edited:

XtrnlArdent

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
28
Age
28
Country
Spain
Sukeno-sensei delivers again, he came to my country for a convention and he is one of the nicest authors I've ever met.

I should pre-order Yaiba, I don't think that any publisher will license it soon here so... I don't like the way USA does this though.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Jump weekly sales 20/11 to 26/11 (I only copied stuff in the top 50)
6-One Piece #87
32-Dragon Ball Side Story: The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha
34-Boku no Hero Academia #16
46-Dragon Ball Super #4

※30位以下のおおまかな実売目安(推定)
30位34600/50位20500/100位11200/200位5700/300位3500/400位2500/500位2000


Dragon Garow Lee new work when?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top