Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 591 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeidaraGrimmjow

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because you say so right? This is what happens when you give an honest opinion about something than fans go up your throat for not conforming to their opinion. Jujutsu isn't bad but I gurantee most of its appraisal is because nothing in this round stands out. Its fine if you like it but your shill game won't convince me that its good.
Lol is that what you think? I honestly couldn't care less what you think of it. Your opinion or anyone else's on a series I like is less than irrelevant. I will not allow you to smear it with erroneous statements however. Whatever you or I think, the data speaks for itself.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
If its a series you like= Its not being pushed
If its a series you hate=JUMP SUPER PUSH
Lol is that what you think? I honestly couldn't care less what you think of it. Your opinion or anyone else's on a series I like is less than irrelevant. I will not allow you to smear it with erroneous statements however. Whatever you or I think, the data speaks for itself.
You cared enough to response to my post about it on two different occasions because I thought it was less than perfect,

Haru Hana

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I read Jujutsu up to chapter 12. It's not bad, that's for sure, but not "great" either. I found it forgettable. The fight is quite boring and unexciting, character design is not impressive. But there's still some interesting things about it tho, that's why it gains some steam. In my opinion part of Jujutsu's sudden increase in popularity is there is no "more hype" battle manga debut this round or the round before that. Jujutsu is really lucky because WSJ is quite slow now both in quality and quantity of battle shonen manga while the manga itself is not outright bad. If that luck allow the manga to have more time to develop into something better then I guess it's a win-win.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
But now everything from 2015 and after is considered "Super Pushed"? That's like 7 manga in total and they all have very different circumstances and backgrounds. Is everything new just considered as automatically pushed? There should be more to it than just liking something or hating it.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States

You cared enough to response to my post about it on two different occasions because I thought it was less than perfect,
Okay so I like the series, big deal. I certainly wouldn't have said anything though if you had simply stated your opinion on it. But you didn't stop there. You seem to believe that a series you don't care for is being "pushed" just because it's now doing well. Like it or not Jujutsu has pulled itself up on its own merit, not editorial meddling. It's also a ridiculous argument that being the best in a particular round leads to popularity or even survival. If people don't like a series they don't vote for it plain and simple. Btw I don't think it's perfect, way to put words in my mouth.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I haven't read much past chapter 10 of Jujutsu Kaisen and only the first three chapters of Act Age (lack of translation is at fault here). While I do enjoy Act age plot more then Jujutsu Kaisen's neither really strike me as all that super appealing. Act Age in my opinion would be more fitting in a monthly magazine. As for Jujutsu Kaisen, I'm not sure if this is just me, but it comes across as kind of a hollow plot similar to how Bozebeat was while it was running for example: the reason the MC is doing the thing he does is paper thin to the point of asking why is this character the MC instead of X other character, a scope in terms of world I'm not really referring to world building with this just what is the "defined" area that the series is currently operating in (is it one city? multiple? ect.), is this a "public" know problem or only the society the MC is apart of know about it, and for what reason does the overall plot have for the X-circumstances to be happening now, what ever time period is taking place. Neither of these series is particularly bad in my opinion just they needed more time to be thought through before being serialized. A little side note connected to Jujustsu Kaisen how many Exorsist manga have gotten switched to another magazine after they first debut in WSJ?
You can look at it this way. WSJ didn't really find anything that could show signs of a stable future for almost two years and they really needed something for their future lineup. They had to put their trust in something and allow something to live and grow.

They are quickly consuming series which can get anime adaptations, at this point all that's left is Bokuben and Dr. Stone and you can bet they already have anime adaptations planned or in production for them.

They need more things for the future. Jujutsu and Act-Age have had the best reception since the round of six new manga from the start of 2017, so why not give them a chance, especially since the authors seem to be able to keep up with the weekly task?

Getting rid of Act-Age and Jujutsu would make the scenario from above even worse. They could try getting something that's much better than Act-Age and Jujutsu for some people, but what are the chances of that plan being successful?

Let's say that in an opposite scenario, they quickly axed both Jujutsu and Act-Age instead of how things are right now.. So in theory they axed them because they wanted something even better, with even better reception, that's even more successful. What if everything else they tried to serialize afterwards had really poor reception and didn't take off in the slightest? Wouldn't things be much worse that way? At that point they would have nothing new and stable for the future, with 2-3 years passing by since their last success, Dr. Stone.

In my eyes, it makes the most sense to keep the things that have most positive fan reception. Jump have always been about getting fresh ideas into the magazine consistently and constantly. They can't axe everything in their way for three years in a row while hoping they find the next big series. These two deserve a chance, like many other manga from the past did. They can't afford to let a long time pass with nothing new for their future as a magazine.

I personally have fallen in love with both series, like some people from Japan. Right now I can't say I'm the most attached to them, but I feel that will change as long as the series continue to grow and improve. I really feel like they can both improve, since they both have their own flaws and they can improve if they are given the chance to do it.

I will look forward to future serializations and I always hope to see good manga being serialized, it makes me even happier if a new and good manga becomes successful. If either Jujutsu and Act-Age fall flat in their quality at some point, that would be unfortunate, but I don't think it is the wrong choice to allow them to stay if the fans from Japan seem to like these new manga the most out of all of the other recent serialization rounds.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so I like the series, big deal. I certainly wouldn't have said anything though if you had simply stated your opinion on it. But you didn't stop there. You seem to believe that a series you don't care for is being "pushed" just because it's now doing well. Like it or not Jujutsu has pulled itself up on its own merit, not editorial meddling. It's also a ridiculous argument that being the best in a particular round leads to popularity or even survival. If people don't like a series they don't vote for it plain and simple. Btw I don't think it's perfect, way to put words in my mouth.
Is that why it went from being in the bottom 5 one issue straight up to 1# after one issue?

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nothing yet about the Neverland staff?

I just read the first 3 chapters of Jujutsu, that was... cool(?)

I think its doing well because of the female audience, the relationship between the male characters makes it easy to shipp them.

Tarot

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Really happy for Act-age
I'm just asking what criteria something has to meet to not be considered pushed? I really want to know that.
If it's not MHA at the top then the rest of the series are being pushed according to Chocobar.

Sheep1

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read Ishida Sui's afterword and it just got me thinking, has there been any mangaka's from Weekly Shonen Jump who went through a similar phase?

Tarot

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Sui Ishida's afterwords gave me a different perspective and understanding in regards to what might have gone wrong with the last acts of all the other Jump manga like Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto and Bleach.

I think it's time Shueisha changed the system by giving their authors a better deadline or give them more breaks like Oda (this shouldn't be a privilege). It's pretty clear the hectic schedule has been starting to affect the healths and work of mangaka like Tabata or Horikoshi recently.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Sui Ishida's afterwords gave me a different perspective and understanding in regards to what might have gone wrong with the last acts of all the other Jump manga like Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto and Bleach.

I think it's time Shueisha changed the system by giving their authors a better deadline or give them more breaks like Oda (this shouldn't be a privilege). It's pretty clear the hectic schedule has been starting to affect the healths and work of mangaka like Tabata or Horikoshi recently.
This is just how the entire manga industry is. It's especially bad for weekly serializations and new authors. Things won't change unless the entire industry crashes.

World Trigger has been on hiatus for almost two years because of the author's health issues.

Remember how this was adressed and heavily showcased in Bakuman years ago.

Only online serializations can offer some different conditions. Weekly Shonen Sunday seem to be experimenting more with their magazine. They have two monthly manga and one manga with an unusual release schedule. I think one of those monthly manga used to be weekly but they changed it to a monthly series(Birdmen). Recently they seem to be allowing an artist draw less pages so he can keep up with his deadlines, his art is very impressive.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
World Trigger has been on hiatus for almost two years because of the author's health issues.
But here it does not matter.
The author suffers from a serious illness, you can not give the fault to Jump.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Can anyone link me to this Ishida afterword everyone keeps talking about? Translated, of course.

Tarot

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Can anyone link me to this Ishida afterword everyone keeps talking about? Translated, of course.

Sounds like he'll probably quit being a mangaka.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
You can understand why Kishimoto is taking his sweet time with his next work and also why Kubo isn't interested to return anytime soon. They did it for 15 years straight.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is that why it went from being in the bottom 5 one issue straight up to 1# after one issue?
From 2013, when World Trigger was around the same amount of chapters. World Trigger also naturally but gradually gained a fanbase despite not being a massive hit right out of the gate.

And we all know Kimetsu certainly wasn't initially preforming like it does now.

It's not pushing, sometimes a series just takes a bit for readers to really latch onto. It's just that because Jump is so cutthroat competitive it's not as often we see series survive that weren't huge hits right off the bat (having buffer series underneath it always help these types) which may be why you are misperceiving this as the work of editorial pushing.

Jump Issue #25 TOC
Mutou Black (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)

One Piece
Assassination Classroom
Soul Catcher(S) (Center Colour)
Naruto
Shokugeki no Soma
Kuroko no Basket (Center Colour)
Haikyuu!!
Toriko
Bleach
Nisekoi
PSI Kusuo Saiki (Center Colour)
Sket Dance
Gintama
Beelzebub
World Trigger
Victory Uchida (One Shot,16 pg.)
Majin no Gard (One Shot, 4 pg.)

Kochikame
Cross Manage
Koisuru Edison
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san (END)

Jump #26
Smoky B.B. (Cover & Lead Color Page, New Series, 54 pg.)

Assassination Classroom
Isobe Iso Hyoue Monogatari (One Shot)
Mutou Black (Color Page, 25 pg.)

Naruto
Toriko
Shokugeki no Souma (Color Page)
Kuroko no Basket
Soul Catcher(S) (23 pg.)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Owari no Seraph - Bangaihen (Color Page, One Shot, 32 pg.)
Sket Dance
Nisekoi
Hq!!
Beelzebub
Gintama
Kochikame
World Trigger
Koisuru Edison
Cross Manage
One Piece (Absent)

Jump #27
Nisekoi (Cover & Lead Color Page, Anime Ad)

1.Shokugeki no Souma
2.Assassination Classroom
Smoky B.B. (Color Page, 25 pg.)
3.World Trigger
4.Toriko
Naruto (Color Page)
5.Kuroko no Basket
Mutou Black (23 pg.)
6.PSI Kusuo Saiki
7.Bleach
Chouzunou Ouji Yunihei-sama Z (Color Page, One Shot, 27 pg.)
8.Soul Catcher(S)
9.Hq!!
10.Gintama
11.Beelzebub
12.Kochikame
13.Sket Dance
14.Cross Manage
15.Koisuru Edison
One Piece (Absent)
Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

Last edited:

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
I think what's more shocking is the fact that only 4 manga remain from that old toc. Shows how much of a change WSJ has had in the past few years.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
More info about Hinomaru Zumou anime

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The rest according to 5ch.

Oneshot: DANNY's RADIO - 95th Tezuka Award Winner
Pretty interested in this. Maybe it will be serialized in the future, who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.