Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymano

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
285
Reaction score
329
Age
26
Country
United States
Really? I remember him talking about his back problems before he went on hiatus in some of his comments. Back then I thought it was a mangaka-inside-joke.
Looking through his old author comments, the only comment he actually mentioned his neck pain in was 2016 issue 29, which was about 30 weeks before world trigger went on hiatus, he never mentioned it after issue 29.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Hori comment

"Ah...about the page count....sorry. I'll do my best to return to a normal pace."
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Well clearly there's a reason he's not at his normal pace.
Being a mangaka is physically grueling work. Just because they don't announce something doesn't mean there aren't some clear issues behind the scenes. It's not like he's releasing such short chapters by choice when the series is in the peak of its popularity.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Either a physical issue or a creative "how best to draw out my idea" issue imo.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Why? Sure seems to be rather similar.
Completely ignoring it as a posibillity is rather disrespectful .
I’d say it’s more disrespectful to assume someone’s having a health issue when they don’t mention anything.

Personally I think Horikoshi is just managing what he can and can’t do so he can avoid overworking himself. If the short chapters were due to health issues I feel like he’d just break altogether
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Personally I think Horikoshi is just managing what he can and can’t do so he can avoid overworking himself. If the short chapters were due to health issues I feel like he’d just break altogether
I agree. Also because recently Horikoshi went to New York, so definitely not in conditions that do not travel.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Maybe he just has a bad case of DQitis. My dad is Togashi's editor and he said it's contagious.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

>be me on payday
>goes to game shop and picks 2 games
>excited to play
>come home and browse the net
>see what your anime bro-bots are doing
>see 2 of your bros are doing this
what do?
pic related

to be on topic, I was about to say Dr Stone being in the back maybe a sign Nak is losing faith on it, but then I remembered it's getting the cover next week
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Nak is losing faith on any series that breathes. :cookiestare
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
700 chapters is too much.


>be me on payday
>goes to game shop and picks 2 games
>excited to play
>come home and browse the net
>see what your anime bro-bots are doing
>see 2 of your bros are doing this
what do?
pic related

to be on topic, I was about to say Dr Stone being in the back maybe a sign Nak is losing faith on it, but then I remembered it's getting the cover next week
Spiderman is a great game, easy platinum too.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Basically, Tabata wants Black Clover to be at last 700 chapters long. If 1000 chapters, the better.
The source is incorrect.
First of all, the declaration is not recent but dates back to April.

He also did not say that. The interviewer asked him if he would like it to last so long and he said yes, but I think he knows very well that the magazine has the last word.

In the interview, however, asks if he wants his serious years as Naruto, we speak generically of years.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
700 chapters is too much.
But even 500 would be too many if for this.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
700 chapters is too much.
It wouldn't last that long anyway, even if he wanted it to. Not with these sales.
Heck, even MHA would struggle to last that long.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
It wouldn't last that long anyway, even if he wanted it to. Not with these sales.
Heck, even MHA would struggle to last that long.
But even if sales went up or remained stable the maximum would be 8 years to be generous.

What then as already said only said that he would like the manga lasted for years, but I think he knows very well that the magazine has the last word
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont think there's going to be another series to last as long as Naruto, Bleach and Gintama again. Horikoshi seems dead set on making sure the series concludes at a little over 40 volumes and I doubt Tabata planned for BC to last for 700 chapters since it doesn't have enough content for it.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I dont think there's going to be another series to last as long as Naruto, Bleach and Gintama again. Horikoshi seems dead set on making sure the series concludes at a little over 40 volumes and I doubt Tabata planned for BC to last for 700 chapters since it doesn't have enough content for it.
I agree on everything.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
There's definitely enough content, if you think of the current stuff as the first Saga/Major arc of 4-5 it's not too hard to imagine it lasted that long. There's the different surrounding kingdoms it introduced which could each have their own saga, Yami's homeland, and I'm sure Tabata could think of others.

The matter of course is if the rankings will keep up for long enough to support those plans.

I hope we get some kind of new Naruto/Bleach/Gintama length series. I don't think any of the current manga will be it but I feel like WSJ kind of needs a new massively long term thing (now that One Piece is the only series not from the current decade). Who knows, perhaps they'll keep Black Clover around well into the 2020s just so that they've got at least some kind of legacy series besides One Piece.

I suppose Haikyuu could potentially make it to the decade mark if the matches keep getting longer and longer and longer.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
There's definitely enough content, if you think of the current stuff as the first Saga/Major arc of 4-5 it's not too hard to imagine it lasted that long. There's the different surrounding kingdoms it introduced which could each have their own saga, Yami's homeland, and I'm sure Tabata could think of others.

The matter of course is if the rankings will keep up for long enough to support those plans.

I hope we get some kind of new Naruto/Bleach/Gintama length series. I don't think any of the current manga will be it but I feel like WSJ kind of needs a new massively long term thing (now that One Piece is the only series not from the current decade). Who knows, perhaps they'll keep Black Clover around well into the 2020s just so that they've got at least some kind of legacy series besides One Piece.

I suppose Haikyuu could potentially make it to the decade mark if the matches keep getting longer and longer and longer.
I think Haikyuu is the only current Jump series that can reach the 500 mark tbh, tho this match feels alot more quicker than the previous one, I think it'll be over by december, s4 when lol
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I could see MHA going in the route of “i was originally planning on ending here, but it ended up going waaaaay longer than i planned”.

Honestly think pretty much all (successful) Jump series are designed in a way that they could continuously go on forever if Jump and the creators wished. Even the shorter series.
If the duo wanted, Death Note could have continued with a new book weirder.
The writers of Neverland could keep expanding the demon world and lore if they wished
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top