Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 793 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyJim

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
Holy shit, what amazing timing. I didn't really consider the possibility of moving to SQ Rise, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for monthly rather than quarterly releases.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
If it is seasonal might as well go to GIGA

edit: I forgot Giga is 6 issues a year now
Giga releases 3 monthly issues on a row then goes to hiatus to whenever they feel to bring it back
Square Rise release 1 issue every season, so 4 issues per year

MangAniMY

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Giga releases 3 monthly issues on a row then goes to hiatus to whenever they feel to bring it back
Square Rise release 1 issue every season, so 4 issues per year
Yeah, kinda Ironic since I've made a PSA about how the Jump specials work

I forgot about Rise since I always get them confused LAB/CROWN..

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Two years to recover enough to draw, will definitely have to be better about our own dealings with arm and neck issues.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It would be the best solution.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Seasonal magazine. So one issue every three months.
I'll take one WT chapter per 3 months over 0 WT chapters in a whole year. Or two years. Heck, WT beat HiatusxHiatus longest record and was about to get over 100 missed issues, it was clear as daylight it would not return to Jump as if nothing has happened. I just started to fear it would get only ONE more chapter and end because Ashihara is too hurt to continue the series.
FINALLY some news about WT, the two years of not knowing what's gonna happen were worse then when WT started to have short hiatuse every now and then.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
now if only heroaca takes an extended hiatus.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Given the japanese Worker mentality I doubt that gonna happen. Think Ashihara probably also tried to tough it out when his whole neck problems started and just made it worse with every new chapter every week.

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, Ashihara went on hiatus because he physically couldn't draw. Horikoshi can draw, just not quite as much as he could a year ago.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'll take one WT chapter per 3 months over 0 WT chapters in a whole year. Or two years. Heck, WT beat HiatusxHiatus longest record and was about to get over 100 missed issues, it was clear as daylight it would not return to Jump as if nothing has happened. I just started to fear it would get only ONE more chapter and end because Ashihara is too hurt to continue the series.
FINALLY some news about WT, the two years of not knowing what's gonna happen were worse then when WT started to have short hiatuse every now and then.
Nah I'd prefer zero honestly. If the author can't handle at least a monthly schedule, even if with a reduced page count, they may as well just work on recovering instead until they can (I know that's not possible in some cases though). 20 pages a month only equates to a couple of hours of work a day given estimates of how long some manga artists have said it takes them to do a weekly chapter.

It's not worth the damage it'll cause in the long-term to rush it. Not to mention seasonal pacing is so slow its just as frustrating as not reading it at all. And seeing what's happened to other authors and what working before they're fully recovered can result in, I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone. Better off taking a few years to recover now and putting it behind you for the rest of your career (if you can) than rushing your return and suffering the rest of your career.

As frustrating as it's been, I'm definitely glad Ashihara has taken so much time off. The fact he's broken Togashi's record is a good thing really. I do hope he is as ready as he can be.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Seasonal is a terrible schedule, as youre better off just waiting for volumes, and in my experience the seasonal page amounts is sometimes only comparable to monthly and at worst just 19 pages...

And for Horikoshi Id take full length chapters over reduced count. Imagine how much content is being cut to fit in 13 pages, that could have been used to expand lots of things.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
If the doctors have kicked off then they can still work out, better on a seasonal magazine.

The comparison with Horikoshi is neither in the air nor on the ground. Apart from the fact that it does not have a minimum of health conditions, the Jump does not grant a hiatus to the magazine's third best-selling manga, especially with the fourth season in production.

WesKR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess it depends on the page count.. If he can do 85ish pages every 3 months, that's 2 volumes a year, which is pretty good IMO.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the doctors have kicked off then they can still work out, better on a seasonal magazine.

The comparison with Horikoshi is neither in the air nor on the ground. Apart from the fact that it does not have a minimum of health conditions, the Jump does not grant a hiatus to the magazine's third best-selling manga, especially with the fourth season in production.
But theres still like 3 seasons worth of content before the manga catches up. horikoshi could easily sit out two years if need be.

Tymano

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seasonal is a terrible schedule, as youre better off just waiting for volumes, and in my experience the seasonal page amounts is sometimes only comparable to monthly and at worst just 19 pages...

And for Horikoshi Id take full length chapters over reduced count. Imagine how much content is being cut to fit in 13 pages, that could have been used to expand lots of things.
The page count in seasonal usually depends on the artist. Hoshino can only sometimes only do 5 pages in 3 months, while Nightow can regularly do 70 page chapters of Kekkai Sensen.

Also a series can lose a ton of popularity when it goes on hiatus for a long time. Horikoshi going on hiatus would kill most of the momentum and sales that Hero Academia has concurrently, and that is much worse for him and jump than having less pages. Hiatuses are an absolute last resort for a mangaka, and Hori going on hiatus right now would do more harm than good.

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
But theres still like 3 seasons worth of content before the manga catches up. horikoshi could easily sit out two years if need be.
2 years? What are you on right now?

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Why would he even need to do that? It's not clear yet if he is even sick.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How do you know stuff is actually being cut and not just delayed? Recent chapters haven't felt any less in character and universe development than previous ones

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I really can't see World Trigger coming back and growing.
The anime adapted nearly the entire manga and I doubt if the series will be able to resume in a new magazine at chapter 165 with no new anime for likely half a decade.

They would have been better off moving it to Jump + on a monthly basis and upload the entirety of the series temporarily to bring more attention to the extremely underutilized service.

Status
Not open for further replies.