Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
Looks like Jump Plus is holding some sort of special event this week:



I'm not sure what it's exactly about, but it appears to involve ranking your top three favorite series on the app? Can anyone translate?
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Think Twilight zone in manga form basically. A series of unrelated stories with one common topic: horror/mistery, the one thing in common is the narrator from what I read.
You can check it out yourself most of it is scanlated.
Yeah, seems to really respect Serling. I’ll definitely be checking out the chapters that have been scanlated.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
By the way, question for all of you. What's the most obscure Jump series that you know of?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
By the way, question for all of you. What's the most obscure Jump series that you know of?
Do you mean ones I've read? Since there's a wikipedia list of all WSJ manga, it'd be easy to pick something completely unknown from there.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Do you mean ones I've read? Since there's a wikipedia list of all WSJ manga, it'd be easy to pick something completely unknown from there.
Mainly that but also can mean series that caught your eye/wish to read.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Looks like Jump Plus is holding some sort of special event this week:



I'm not sure what it's exactly about, but it appears to involve ranking your top three favorite series on the app? Can anyone translate?
I think that's the gist of it. And maybe something about making panel montages for the winners. Or fans put them together as well? Not sure.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Oh, you mean which obscure series am I most curious to read?

Well besides just finding out about Outer Zone, I'd guess I'd like to read some of Arashi! San-piki, since it seems to have been jump's second ecchi series after Harenchi Gakuen and the first true long-running manga not from the original 1968 line-up.
 

hhht3x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 21, 2019
Messages
23
Reaction score
36
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
United States
By the way, question for all of you. What's the most obscure Jump series that you know of?
I've always wanted to check out 'Gakuen Jōbōbu H.I.P.' But it only ran for three volumes in 1986 so probably won't be able to read it

Also would really like to read kimagure orange road. Sounds like a fun series
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
Shape Up Ran hands down.

While you can at least see most of Tar-Chan's story from the existing bad subtitles for the anime, nothing exists of this one. Always wanted to read it since it seems like a fun slice of life based on a body building high schooler. I do know the humor is quite similar to Tar-Chan,
comical erections and all.
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
I think that's the gist of it. And maybe something about making panel montages for the winners. Or fans put them together as well? Not sure.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I posted my pre-made video/ranking to Twitter, and the official Jump Plus account liked my tweet, so there's that I guess, lol.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
By the way, question for all of you. What's the most obscure Jump series that you know of?
Maybe not obscure in Japan, but Barefoot Gen is a series I think the majority don’t know it came from Jump. Watched the movie first before I read the manga.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@tirakai ****** Kamen... Like how was this serialized in Jump?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
By the way, question for all of you. What's the most obscure Jump series that you know of?
God, this has a lot of room for choices. Temptation would be something like Manga Drifters, that ran for years, but is a pain to look up because of a certain, more contemporary manga called Drifters.

I’ll say one I actually own and have read, though; Scrum by Koji Koseki. A one-volume rugby manga from the 80s that would be completely forgotten if it weren’t for Koseki reclaiming all his series from Jump and putting it out digitally with the rest of his (far more popular and better-known) comics
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
God, this has a lot of room for choices. Temptation would be something like Manga Drifters, that ran for years, but is a pain to look up because of a certain, more contemporary manga called Drifters.

I’ll say one I actually own and have read, though; Scrum by Koji Koseki. A one-volume rugby manga from the 80s that would be completely forgotten if it weren’t for Koseki reclaiming all his series from Jump and putting it out digitally with the rest of his (far more popular and better-known) comics
I have googled "Manga Drifters" too since it was a popular manga from what I remember and it grabbed my attention, it ran for some years IIRC. But yeah, same as you I couldn't find that manga or any illustrations, could you find anything about it?
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,564
Reaction score
11,300
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I think Black Clover still has around a good 3 years left.
Thinking it will run for 500 or more chapters is as silly as thinking it will be cancelled soon.
I agreed.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,564
Reaction score
11,300
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
1.5 years to 2 years means 75 to 100 chapters. I've constantly stated 1.5-2 years in my responses because that's a realistic timeline.
75-100 chapters or weeks in WSJ is a long time. Enough time for multiple arcs or one large arc. Death Note was ~105 chapters long in length total.

It would be 7-10 volumes. More than enough to unravel the various subplots left.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I have googled "Manga Drifters" too since it was a popular manga from what I remember and it grabbed my attention, it ran for some years IIRC. But yeah, same as you I couldn't find that manga or any illustrations, could you find anything about it?
Very little. A couple of images that make it seem like a Japanese equivalent to the sorta strips you’d see in like VIZ (the UK one, not the media company) or MAD, and that’s about it. George Horvath at Land of Obscusion found... pretty much the same stuff, when doing their history of Jump stuff: http://landofobscusion.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-bronze-age-of-jump-part-1-breaking.html?m=1
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
It would be 7-10 volumes. More than enough to unravel the various subplots left.
I think this current saga will be 8 more volumes at least and I still think we'll get one last 11 volume saga after that. Although this is probably what Tabata wants so who knows how it'll actually go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top