Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion! | Page 594 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerclox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Prediction Time!

1- JJK will enter the final phase by the end of the year
2 - MHA will end in spring with with a total of 75 million copies in circulation
3 - BC will receive a small boost in sales due to the movie gets to 20+ million copies and will enter the climax of the final arc by the end of 2023
4 - Mashle gets a boost with the anime but due to it ending it will not be that much, it ends around with 8 million copies
5 - UU the anime doesn't impact the sales that much and the series ends with around 4 million copies in total
6 - Sakamoto keeps growing finally reaching the 100k club and anime announced
7 - Ruri Dragon returns and becomes a 200k seller
8 - Akane Banashi keeps growing and reaches the 100k club
9 - Yozafam anime announced and airing in 2023, it finally reaches the 50k club
10 - Blue Box keeps stagnating in sales but gets the anime announced
11- P6 will be at the bottom of the TOC and sales will start to decline slowly
12 - 2 new sport series serialized
1 - Yes it is in the final phase
2 - Wrong Horikoshi couldn't deliver with the ending this year and the series is now at 85 million
3 - Wrong with the movie boost and I got close with the circulation prediction since it's at 19 million but I did get right the climax by the end of the year
4 - True it did got a small boost and ended with 6 million instead of my prediction of 8 million
5 - True the anime didn't impact the sales at all but it didn't end.
6 - True Sakamoto finally reached the 100k club this year but no anime announcement yet
7 - Wrong it didn't return 😭
8 - Wrong Akanae Banashi didn't grew that much and is now around the 50k club only
9 - Wrong, anime for 2024 and stagnated around 30k
10 - True Blue Box sales stagnated at 100k-110k and the anime was announced
11- True it did declined in sales and went to the bottom of the TOC I just forgot to predict it would get axed
12- True 2 sport series were serialized in the magazine

Overall not that bad, I'm happy with the results haha, now getting ready for next year!!

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Bc movie is bad because of quality, or it didn't make much profit? @Giblow_20

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll have to make predictions for next year, don't know how I didn't this year.

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't do any predictions last year, but I might as well do some this year.
One Piece won't be feel like it's any closer to ending at the end of this year
Hunter x hunter will go on hiatus after these 10 chapters, but it'll come back sometime during the summer or fall.
mha won't end, but it will be very close to ending
Black clover will have another hiatus sometime during the year
Jujutsu Kaisen will see the culling game end, but will have another arc start. Gojo will not be freed.
Yozakura family will have announced it's final arc during the year
UU, Mashle, and HSF will all end, the former two will end naturally, but the latter will be axed.
Sakamoto days will get an anime and be the next big thing
Elusive samurai will be close to ending by the end of the year, but will have an anime announced.
Witch Watch and Blue Box will both have anime announced and not be close to the ending.
p6 will still be running, and everyone will be asking "anime when" for it
Akane will have an anime announced
Ruri Dragon will come back, but then be transferred to plus.
Demon bride and Ginka will both be axed, but Ginka will last longer
Of the 4 new series, all but Cipher academy will be axed, Ichinose-ke will survive to the end of the year thanks to other stuff being axed.

2 new sports series, both axed.
No new successful battle series
We'll have a new gag at some point that lasts a while despite Stivie saying that it should be axed.
New successful SoL, and a new successful series in the same vein as Akane and p6
One successful plus author makes a series and gets axed.
One other veteren from the magazine, I think it'll likely by Fujimaki.
One Piece: Correct
HxH: Didn't come back, so incorrect
mha: correct
BC: I guess it's technically been on hiatus, although that's because of the transfer
JJK: First part correct, the rest is very wrong
YF: Correct by, like, 2 weeks
UU, Mashle, HSF: 2/3rds correct, UU did not end, but Mashle and HSF did the way I thought they would.
Sakamoto: No anime yet! Incorrect
Elusive Samurai, Not close to ending, but does have an anime announced
WW and BB: Correct on one of those
p6: I wish I was right
Akane: Nope
Ruri: Very nope
Demons bride and Ginka: Correct
4 new series: 100% right

Sports: We got 3 new series! Not 2, but only 1 was axed so far
Battle: Correct unless you count Nue
New Gag: Correct if you count Nue (including the Stivie complaints)
New SoL: Nope
Plus author: Not as far as I'm aware
One other veteran: I got Fujimaki right! Although we actually got 3 veterans rather than just 1.

I think I got about half right from my predictions at the start of last year.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Reading the past predictions, I find it funny people has been predicting MHA to "end next year" for the past few years. And it is still ongoing

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Don’t worry, Ruri Dragon coming back will become the new thing everyone gets wrong each year.
Soon people will start questioning if it even existed to begin with, or was it just a result of mass hallucinations 🤣
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw I wonder why major veterans like Furudate or Gotouge never returns. Maybe they made enough money from their massive hit, and do not see the need to do the grind anymore

JBC008

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Btw I wonder why major veterans like Furudate or Gotouge never returns. Maybe they made enough money from their massive hit, and do not see the need to do the grind anymore
My guess is that maybe both want to return once their anime’s finish (more so with Gotouge, but unsure about Furudate for two reasons, the first doing an 8 year plus series could have been exhausting so he might need a longer break [which I am aware he has done other things like a few short one-shots and another brief new series for Study Jump], and the second he might do a sequel for Haikyu to do another tournament arc [similar to how Captain Tsubasa did back in 1994]. It was something I remembered after Haikyu ended where there was an opportunity to bring back some characters).

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Haikyuu ended just 3 years ago after 8+ years with almost no break, it's too soon for Furudate to comeback with a new serialization :grin

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Gaps between series of the current returning authors whether from WSJ or elsewhere for reference, bolded if the previous series was successful (also not including authors or artist that changed partners):

Horikoshi - Oumagadougi Zoo -> Bulge ---- ~1 year
- Bulge -> MHA -------------------- ~2 years

Gondaira - Poro -> Yozakura Family --------- ~2 years

Matsui - Neuro -> Ass Class ----------------- ~3 years
- Ass Class -> Elusive Samurai ------ ~5 years

Shinohara - Sket Dance -> Astra ------------- ~3 years
- Astra -> Witch Watch ----------- ~3 years

Miura - Sensei Suki desu -> Blue Box -------- ~3 years

Fujimaki - Kuroko -> RxL --------------------- ~2.5 years
- RxL - Kill Blue ---------------------- ~5 years

Kawada - Hinomaru Zumou -> MMA -------- ~4 years

Returning after a flop I imagine is quite different to returning after a success (especially when there's an anime after the manga ends keeping the popularity flowing) but it's interesting to look at.

So the average time to return currently after a success seems to be around 3 years, though some took longer.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Not sure If I should count Naruto > boruto (1.5 years) even though Kishi only acted as editorial supervisor

Also, Toriko > Build King ( 4 years)

Off topic but I am amused there is an actual construction company in Hong Kong called Build King 🤣

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My predictions review:

My first actual post in the 2023 thread, my predictions

-Yozakura Family will have it's anime announced this December on Jump Festa and a cover on issue #3. About studio, Spanku teased about possibly being Aniplex like Mashle, so i'm sticking to my very first prediction 2/3 years ago about being done by A1 Pictures, or CloverWorks. Fall 2023
-Yozakura Family isn't going to end on 2023, first because of the anime and second because a bigger threat was already teased few months ago.
-Yozakura Family will have 3 covers, one for the anime announcement, second for the 4th anniversary and third for the start of the anime
-Yozakura Family anime will give a nice boost to the manga but nothing big.
-One Piece will keep normally going, nothing new like a movie announced.
-Hunter x Hunter will go back to hiatus after 10 chapters but will be a short one since Togashi is already doing the storyboard for the next 10.
-Black Clover will keep going on through the entire year. The movie is going to be pretty good and well animated. A new TV anime is going to be announced.
-My Hero Academia comes to a end but a bit later than expected. Season 7 is announced right after Season 6 ends, unfortunately we're going to get another movie.
-Jujutsu Kaisen will not end but it's going to be close.
-Both Undead Unluck and Mashle naturally ends, both anime are going to be well animated and generate some decent boost.
-Roboco is going to be here for a looong time, S2 announced.
-Burn The Witch will still be dead but i think Kubo will publish something new about Bleach probably to link with the anime.
-High School Family is a hard case to predict, but i'm going to say it's not ending in 2023 but will be close to, and against all odds will receive a anime similar to Roboco.
-Sakamoto Days, The Elusive Samurai, Witch Watch and Blue Box are all going to have anime announced since they're all going to surpass 2 years, BB probably will be the first one.
-PPPPPP will still be safe through the year, is going to keep the Yozakura route growing little by little.
-Akane Banashi will keep being pushed and etc but it will very soon reach it's peak in sales.
-Ruri Dragon will come back, and if it doesn't get moved, it's probably back for good.
-Seeing the divisive reaction the last 2 chapters of Ichinose Family are getting by jp readers on Matome, i'm starting to think the series is possibly not going to be the home run we thought at first, i think sales will be decent/good but maybe the content is just too much for WSJ readers.
-Cipher Academy will definitely struggle because of the theme but maybe Nisio fans will save with volume sales.
-Ichigoki's Under Control will at least do better than Japan but is going to do at most the basic 4k copies.
-Jinzo Ningen 100 will actually be better than we thought, still the GFC curse will do it's job.
-Tokyo Demon Bride Story will get axed
-Ginka & Glüna will be safe for at least the next round, it will sell around 10k copies
-Tadatoshi Fujimaki, Komi Naoshi, Kawada and Tsukuda & Shun will all return. Naoshi i think will be with the vampire one shot from GIGA, Kawada maybe the gladiator one.
-We will finally get new sport series, a traditional one, it will not be done by Fujimaki, maybe it will be the baseball one by Goto & Matsuura. And the other one a mix of sports and gag by Tsurun Hatomune (Mitama Security)
-With the end of 3 action mangas, Jump is going to push for new traditional battle shounens, i think at least one will stick.
-I heard a lot of rumors about a YuYu Hakusho anime remake in the works through the year so i'm throwing a wild prediction about it
-Katekyo Hitman Reborn new anime will be announced, i would think on Jump Festa alongside Ron Kamonohashi but is probably going to be later
-Boruto anime will start Code's arc with the known story expansion Pierrot has been doing and is going to be amazing. I'm not sure about the time skip coming to the manga just yet but if it happens will be in the end of 2023.
-Dragon Ball Super Season 2 will finally be announced. The manga going to be pretty interesting now that is going to focus on Goten & Trunks and the Super Hero movie storyline.
-Dr. Stone Season 4 will be already announced some moment in the year after S3 ends
-And to finish, Nakano will finally step down as Editor in Chief, he will complet 6 years in 2023, it's time for new blood.
-Right for Yozakura getting anime, wrong for getting the cover and wrong for studio too and date.
-Right, Yozakura didn't end in 2023
-Wrong, Yozakura got only a cover for anniversary.
-Wrong, Yozakura anime didn't started yet so there's no boost to happen
-Right, OP just kept going and no new movie announced
-Wrong, HxH didn't comeback, in fact it might even be out of SJ lol
-Right, Black Clover kept going through the year. Right, the movie was good and well animated and while not announced, there are leaks about a new TV anime decided.
-Wrong, MHA still going on, but Right about Season 7 announced and a new movie also announced.
-Right, JJK didn't end but it's close
-Half Right, only Mashle ended. Right with anime being well animated but half right about decent boost, only Mashle got one.
-Right, Roboco still going with no signs of ending, and right with a movie announced.
-Wrong, nothing new for Bleach and Burn the Witch actually got a prologue anime announced.
-Wrong, High School Family got canceled, no anime.
-Half right with Blue Box and The Elusive Samurai getting anime announced but TES was the first one.
-Wrong and how wrong i was, PPPPPP got axed =/
-Right, Akane Banashi keeps getting pushed as hell but the sales already peaked and are now stale.
-Wrong, Ruri Dragon didn't come back yet.
-Right, while i got P6 very wrong, i got Ichinose Family pretty spot on! it started popular and sold well but it soon started to fall apart
-Right, another spot on prediction, Cipher Academy is struggling but Nisio fans are saving it with volume sales.
-Wrong, Ichigoki didn't do better than Jimoto Ga Japan
-Right, Fabricant 100 was 100% better than we expected at first but GFC curse did the job
-Right, TDBS got axed
-I think right, G&G did survive more than expected but wrong in sales, didn't sell around 10k copies
-75% right, Tsukuda & Shun, Fujimaki and Kawada returned, but Kawada with MMA.
-Right we got 3 sports and also right about Fujimaki not doing one but the rest i got wrong.
-Right, i guess the "3 action series ending" i mentioned was MHA, Mashle and UU, only 1 ended but the prediction was about a new popular battle shounen and we got one, Nue's Exorcist.
-Wrong, nothing about YuYu Hakusho anime, only live action
-Wrong, Reborn new anime still not announced
-Right, Boruto anime started Code's arc, it had some few expansion, it was great and it didn't reached time skip but because we are now in a hiatus.
-Wrong, DBS didn't got season 2 announced yet.
-Wrong, Dr. Stone season 4 isnt announced but because season 3 was 2 separated cours
-Wrong, Nakano still here.

I think i did decently well, some quite wrong, others quite spot on :^_^

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
-Wrong, MHA still going on, but Right about Season 7 announced and a new movie also announced.
-Right, JJK didn't end but it's close
In your opinion, which of the two will end first?

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
No way in hell JJK end sooner than MHA, unless :
- Gege lost his mind
- Hori took a long hiatus
- Hori decided to spent 20 chapters of Deku and Bakugo romantically stares at each other
- Gege's offscreen no jutsu strikes again
- all the above

For JJK, I can foresee it going for at least another 30-50 chapters imo. Because :

- Gege tend to do at least 3-10 chapters per fight. Depending on the character significance. Say whatever about Gege's lack of emotional payoff or character interaction. But doing fight chapters are what he does best and no way he will skip or rush it. We still have lots of people have not gotten their spotlight yet

- Yuji, maki, yuta, hakari, higuruma still has not done their fight yet. You can argue that Gege totally shafted kashimo by killing him in 2 chapters. But maki yuta and Yuji at least are so much more important than Kashimo. Otherwise, the following arc will be for nothing: (1) TWO Maki enlightment arcs, (2) recruiting Hakari arc. Why even spend so much time with showing the recruitmenr of hakari and giving maki power ups if it results in nothing. Definitely gege gonna spend a lot of chapters showing Hakari Yuta and Maki fights with big bad

- I expect Yuji to have a long major fight, with him being the MC..

- saving Megumi plot still unresolved. Gege has deliberately left lots of crumbs and he will not waste it.

- we still don't know what is the deal with Kenjaku tengen Sukuna backstory

- the merger and end of culling game still unresolved.

Etc

Of course gege can always offscreen or rush things. But no way it ends sooner than MHA, unless Gege lost his mind and totally butcher the plot and pacing.

jiojiojiji

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Predictions:
- HxH returns to hiatus after ch 400 and then returns for another 10 chapters around the same time it returned this year.
It did not return.
- Mashle and Undead Unluck will end together around April
Mashle ended up continuing until the anime aired. Could not have been more wrong about Undead Unluck, doesn't look like it's ending any time soon.
- My Hero Academia will NOT end this year either, but the series will be close to the end with only 5-10 chapters left at the end of the year; the final season (season 7) will be announced after the 6th season ends in March, the 4th movie will also be announced to be in production.
With this prediction I was mostly right: it did not end, season 7 was announced (although it won't be the final season), and the 4th movie was announced. "Only 5-10 chapters left" is definitely wrong, I would guess there's probably still another 20-25 chapters left.
- Burn the Witch 2 will start around September
Wrong. Honestly surprised there's been no news about this.
- Jujutsu Kaisen will enter into its final arc right before the end of 2023
Wrong. Looks like it already entered its final arc back in May.
- SAKAMOTO DAYS will get its anime announced really soon, Blue Box and Elusive Samurai should follow during the first half of the year; Akane gets its anime announced late 2023
Well, this was mostly wrong. I was right about Elusive Samurai. Blue Box did get it's anime announced, although not during the first half of the year.
- Highschool Family will end
It did.
- Furudate returns (I hope)
If only.

Status
Not open for further replies.