Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 405 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024)
One Piece (Lead Color Page)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Jujutsu Kaisen
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Kyoukutou Necromance (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Akane-banashi
Sakamoto Days
Kamen Kitan Teo (Color Page, One-shot by Goto Togo & Matsuura Kento, 47p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, First of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
Astro Royale (23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family
Witch Watch
Undead Unluck
Kill Blue
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco
Green Green Greens
Nue's Exorcist

Dear Anemone

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024) - Information
Cycle Biyori (Cover & LCP, New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke, 54p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, Second of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release, 200,000 Copies Sale Celebration)
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page, TV Anime Promotion)
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Kyoukutou Necromance (3rd Chapter, 23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family Side Story (Special Chapter)

Last edited by a moderator:

monstera11

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Y'know. It just hit me.

If Nue and Kagurabachi lose all the cushions and become the bottom 2...

Isn't that a good thing?

It would mean that the magazine's so completely stacked that even the lowest titles on the mag have strong followings and sales, with no risk of cancellation. It'd be like the 2010s era where the mag is just so goddamn stacked that it was hard for any new series to break in. I didn't really think about it that way, but it kind of makes sense, right?
If both Nue and KGB is at the bottom, doesn't make sense to axe them actually. Both has shown so much potential and has strong and GROWING sales. Better to just "push" the older stagnating low sales series to conclude naturally asap. Soft axe.

Better to just push out the older ones that has proven they are not gonna be a hit due to stagnating sales for years. Rather than push out the fresh face that are growing and can be hit.

And in b4 anyone again hit me with TOC over anything else. Yes i get it. But keep this up for too long WSJ will end up like other mags that is clogged with subpar series that will never be a hit.

Renvent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope someone translates this. Viz doesn't translate oneshots (which is a shame because it looks like some cool potential series start out in the oneshots) so it would be nice to read it sometime soon. I really liked Phantom Seer and so I want this duo to come back and publish the next big hit for Jump.

In the same respect I really loved Kento's oneshot "Shinigami". I didn't care for Shadow Eliminators the series but the oneshot version of it was cool and it and "Shinigami" show the author has potential. This is his first series in Jump so I hope Jump gives him the time to really establish a plan and come back with a hit.

On a side note, does anyone know what's going on with NONOUE Daijirou? The last series that I could find he worked on The Last Saiyuki. I liked The Last Saiyuki and while I know he had two big flops in WSJ and probably won't be returning to Jump, I hope he found success somewhere.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Saw some of Necromance leaked pages, and art looks pretty good, way better than Aliens Area, some pages (look at your own risk):

This looks quite cool, at least visually, if story is up to the art quality, this could be a really good supernatural battle shounen.

If both Nue and KGB is at the bottom, doesn't make sense to axe them actually. Both has shown so much potential and has strong and GROWING sales. Better to just "push" the older stagnating low sales series to conclude naturally asap. Soft axe.

Better to just push out the older ones that has proven they are not gonna be a hit due to stagnating sales for years. Rather than push out the fresh face that are growing and can be hit.

And in b4 anyone again hit me with TOC over anything else. Yes i get it. But keep this up for too long WSJ will end up like other mags that is clogged with subpar series that will never be a hit.
I was actually just thinking about it this week due to being very interested on Necromance but realising Jump is a bit too "stacked" with series, at the moment we have:

One Piece, MHA, JJK, Yozakura, UU, Roboco, Sakamoto, TES, WW, Blue Box, Akane, KB, Nue, Kagurabachi and Chojo as ongoing series that are doing well and no chances of getting axed for now, 15 out of the 20 spots Jump has for most of the time with the occasional quick 21 series.

So we basically got 5 free spots, but now we got Astro Royale which unless Wakui completely drop the ball in the next chapters, is no doubt getting safe for at least 2 rounds, and now we have 16, and if Necromance turns out to be super good, we would have 17, and only 3/4 spots!

I'm not making this comment to say that any long running series need to end, just making a observation that the magazine is quite tight right now, but it's also interesting to notice that despite being tight, the 4th oldest series, Yozakura, still has only 4 years and half of serialization, so for the most part Jump current line up is quite young compared to the mid 2010's when Jump would have half of it's line up having 5 years at the least.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Saw some of Necromance leaked pages, and art looks pretty good, way better than Aliens Area, some pages (look at your own risk):

This looks quite cool, at least visually, if story is up to the art quality, this could be a really good supernatural battle shounen.

I was actually just thinking about it this week due to being very interested on Necromance but realising Jump is a bit too "stacked" with series, at the moment we have:

One Piece, MHA, JJK, Yozakura, UU, Roboco, Sakamoto, TES, WW, Blue Box, Akane, KB, Nue, Kagurabachi and Chojo as ongoing series that are doing well and no chances of getting axed for now, 15 out of the 20 spots Jump has for most of the time with the occasional quick 21 series.

So we basically got 5 free spots, but now we got Astro Royale which unless Wakui completely drop the ball in the next chapters, is no doubt getting safe for at least 2 rounds, and now we have 16, and if Necromance turns out to be super good, we would have 17, and only 3/4 spots!

I'm not making this comment to say that any long running series need to end, just making a observation that the magazine is quite tight right now, but it's also interesting to notice that despite being tight, the 4th oldest series, Yozakura, still has only 4 years and half of serialization, so for the most part Jump current line up is quite young compared to the mid 2010's when Jump would have half of it's line up having 5 years at the least.
At the risk of sounding like "Mr E", that's why UU need to end naturally ASAP. It is already goong towards finale, but the sooner it can end the better. Magazine is too stacked now. If the stagnating oldies are not out soon the fresh young blood cannot really grow (i believe UU is currently being propped by some core hardocre fans). Yes it got an anime and overall good TOC, but i feel like it has overstayed its welcome long ago. Anyway this is not a hate or anything, so this will be the last comment i will make on UU.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
The series that need to end are MHA and Jujutsu Kaisen, they're drawing their battles out so much and the breaks really don't help the pacing. I think most of us are ready for them to go and make some space for new battle shounen.

Greens is unfortunate imo, I don't think it would've been a successful long runner regardless but I get the feeling that it'd be able to do an Agravity Boys and hang around for a year or so if it had more padding below it. Rip Shadow Eliminators, it on the other hand would've surprised me it if made it past ch 20. Even Manga+ readers don't care for it at all and they love every new battle shounen.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Everything worked at its best, Jump was right, Wakui early artstyle would totally not work on Shonen Jump, Shinjuku Swan worked perfect for Weekly Young Magazine, and also WSJ was absolutely packed during 2004/2005 with One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Eyeshield 21, Hunter x Hunter, Kochikame, Gintama, Reborn!, D.Gray-Man, Prince of Tennis, Bobobobo, Jaguar, Ichigo 100%, Neuro, Busou Renkin, Muhyo & Roji and Mr.Fullswing, so Jump actually lost nothing by not signing Wakui, probably saved his career tbh, and now Wakui debut on Shonen Jump as a very successful veteran.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Wanting MHA and JJK to be "gone and make space" compared to others is insane. They are 1 million and 500k seller pillar. MHA and JJK has proven to be one of main anchor and reasons people buy WSJ tbh. Though 100% MHA and JJK will both end long before UU anyway.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP #20 - POLL VOTING!

Yo guys, sorry for the wait, the poll for issue #20 is now open, so please don't forget to send your votes! 🙏

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The series that need to end are MHA and Jujutsu Kaisen, they're drawing their battles out so much and the breaks really don't help the pacing. I think most of us are ready for them to go and make some space for new battle shounen.
MHA yes, but Jujutsu in my opinion still has something to say.

Qukiqq

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Its annoying seeing so many people say that his old art style is better just based on the volume 1 cover art of shinjuku swan .

Its because of the bias western people have for more realistic looking art.

Its part of the reason bleach and naruto were more popular in the 2000s than one piece.

Also don't base the entire mangas art based on a volume cover , I read the first 20 chapters of shinjuku swan and imo tokyo revengers has better and more consistent art.

Also , he changes his art to fit each magazine which is indicative of a great mangaka.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country

That’s what I’ve been saying for a while. It really shows how much WSJ has rebounded within the 3-4 after the exodus.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone and their mother could see the axe coming. The series was flopping hard, people don't even bother talking about it, idk why you think it deserves much more. Blaming Jump EiC for this is funny.
The EiC should have waited to see how well volume one would sell before cancelling it. It would only be fair since everything else recently got to do the same. I thought he like Exorcist series. It should have gotten more support and opportunity to grow.

Bulju

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I just can't see how GGG can improve its ranking. The series' main appeal are deep characterisation and heartfelt interactions between people. And Jump's audience clearly doesn't really care about that.

Golf is just not interesting at all to read about without some supernatural elements.

Unless it somehow switches genre and go crazy like "Prince Of Tennis" I don't see how it can survive.
Well, this ranking is for chapter 13. The next chapter is where the golfing really picked up, and it's also the one chapter that trended on twitter for a bit. I'll hold on to my copium until next issue at least.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Well, this ranking is for chapter 13. The next chapter is where the golfing really picked up, and it's also the one chapter that trended on twitter for a bit. I'll hold on to my copium until next issue at least.
I’ll hold you to it. I sure wish I can find that drinking emoji for that copium bit I did for Tenmaku Cinema.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #21 (2024) - ToC
Kyokuto Necromance (Cover & LCP, New Series by Fusai Naba, 54p)
One Piece
Mission: Yozakura Family
Astro Royale (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Jujutsu Kaisen
Blue Box (Color Page)
Akane-banashi
Sakamoto Days
Kill Blue
Witch Watch
Undead Unluck
Me & Roboco
The Elusive Samurai
Kagurabachi
Nue's Exorcist
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
Shadow Eliminators (End of Serialization)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024) - Information
Group Cover
One Piece (Lead Color Page)
Kyoukutou Necromance (Color Page, 2nd Chapter)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, First of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
Kamen Kitan Theo (Color Page, One-shot by Gotou Tougo & Matsuura Kento, 47p)
Astro Royale (23p)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024) - Information
Cycle Biyori (Cover & LCP, New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, Second of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
It would be supremely funny if Kagura went from two consecutive bottom five placements to two consecutive color pages and then straight down to the bottom five again.

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
First Mamayuyu, now Ggg... Why you Japanese are so cruel?😭😭😭 end up that Roboco mess that has already made enough life with 200chaps, and also there is Choujo that çan replace it well.
For me it's a useless and wasted spot in the magazine that another series could have replaced, and it's blocking new successful series in the magazine. Same for Elusive Samurai, so 2 places that could be filled with Ggg and and another series (npw Mamayuyu has ended already rip)