Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
yeah this toc finally got me worrying bout mago, but as you said, those chapters need ranking :darn

not really digging bakuman, though im definately enjoying psyren

Osaka recently won the asian champions league, im pretty sure the japanese kids should be football hungry at the moment, lol its not much but im not too worried bout meister at the mo

lol and yeah, oners beating narutes is always a plus :amuse
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bakuman is safe no matter what, but the last thing Psyren needs right now is haters.
 
Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is my stance on Psyren: At it's best, it is a typical shonen jump series with an original concept and a great overall plot. At it's worse, it is a sloppy action manga. XD

I really think that at moments Psyren shines. Basically, the start of it was awesome. I also thought the whole Tatsuo min-arc was very good as well. Then the Dholaki fight was hyped up and then ended up being a huge disappointment. That's when I was starting to doubt the series. Then the current arc restored my faith in the series. I think Psyren deserves it's following and hopefully an anime next year.

This may be saying a lot, but out of all of the newer action series, Psyren definitely has the best plot. Even though that's technically only beating out Toriko, Mago and Bokkesan....but still.

As for Bakuman, it's a Tsugumi Ohba manga. You really either love it or hate it. Personally I think the man is brilliant. Especially mixed with my favorite artist, Obata. The whole series just seems nostalgic to me since it has a huge Hikaru no go vibe (Even though technically I am still reading it, because Viz is slow as fuck)...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I made the mistake of giving up on Bakuman after two chapters. Having gone back to read the rest I really enjoy it. Ohba turns Takagi and Saiko's quest to become mangaka into something as intense as the best suspense manga (my genre of choose btw).

I'll second everything Randal said about Psyren. It's maddeningly inconsistant. It's best parts are brilliant, it's worst generic. Rarely is it in between. The current arc, especially the last two chapters, were amazing.

I'm starting to come around to Bokke - san. Five chapters is to early to tell, but it gets a little more interesting with each chapter. The sports manga are generic but entertaining, I don't think either mangaka has more in them. Main character(s) loves sports, underdog team(s) with potential, nobody gives them a chance, vow to get better, get better, ultimately win against the odds. Good fun reads but little else.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ha, I'm also one of those people that is happy whenever One Piece is on top of Naruto. XD

Huh, its funny. I've been enjoying Psyren all the way through. I can't really think of a part that has made it feel lack luster. :oh

I hope that Bakuman, Toriko, and Psyren can manage to stay in Jump for a long time. Even better if the first 2 knock Bleach down a few pegs. :p

To-love doing better not surprising since the rankings are based on 8 weeks ago that's around when Celine's story arc started which had some nice character development. So the rankings for it should be higher then usual.




Don't worry To-love safe for most of this year, it has 3 OVA's coming this year with the third coming out in 2009-08-04. Wouldn't be surprise if they end up making a 2nd season considering the anime sold very well. Also the To-love manga is one of the best selling jump series outselling Sket Dance by 3 times it and Psyren by 4 times and outsold Bakuman in their first week's sales.

To-love Vol 12: 157,865
Bakuman Vol 1 154,675
Sket Dance Vol 6: 50,977
Psyren Vol 4: 37,581

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-14/japanese-comic-ranking-january-6-12

To-love's manga sales alone is a strong safety net.
This is excellent. Thanks for the information. :D
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is kind of off topic, but to further pimp Psyren, I want to make a Little Big Planet level based around the series. I already started the level, but I need stickers. Due to my lack of PS3 Eye camera, I was looking for someone to help me. If anyone happens to have a PS3 Eye and Little Big Planet PM me.

And if you were wondering, I was going to have the level start off in the city. You get the Psyren calling card. Then you fall down a hole and end up in the desert setting (My cheap little trick XD). Then you do some platforming. You reach a platform that is too high so you use rise (the jetpack) to get up it. Then you see some unaware tavoo and use trance to jack into their brains (Aka jump on their heads XD). Then you fight Alfred using Melchese Door/Burst (aka the paintball gun). Then you will face off with Dholaki. At the end you climb a high cliff and you see mount Fuji and realize it is japan in the future. I rather like my design. I just got to finish it and have someone give me the stickers. I already made the part where you are transported to the desert.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey Randel, good move changing your Avatar back. It's a different from the one I remember though (Dark Ageha, lol). :)
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Hey people, sorry for the offtopic but the other threads are closed.

Just 2 questions:

-Does anyone have cover 47 of 2008's WSJ?? Because in the Weekly Shounen Jump Scan Dump! [2008] thread that's the only cover missing.

-Does anyone know anyway to get the covers from previous years? I`m interested in the covers from 1999 to 2004, but whatever info would be useful to me. It doesn't matter if there are Japanese o Chinese sites, I'm just looking for a hint to finding those covers =P


Well, thanx for taking one minute reading this ^__^


See ya
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This may be saying a lot, but out of all of the newer action series, Psyren definitely has the best plot. Even though that's technically only beating out Toriko, Mago and Bokkesan....but still.
I'll have to disagree with you on Toriko and Mago, as I find their plots more original and much more enjoyable for my taste. I will agree with Bokke-san though seeing as I have read 50+ chapters of Psyren and I couldn't even make it through 1 full chapter of Bokke-san :p.

As for Bakuman, it's a Tsugumi Ohba manga. You really either love it or hate it. Personally I think the man is brilliant. Especially mixed with my favorite artist, Obata. The whole series just seems nostalgic to me since it has a huge Hikaru no go vibe (Even though technically I am still reading it, because Viz is slow as fuck)...
That's probably it. I've only glimpsed at Hikaru in the U.S. version of jump and I dropped Death Note about half way through. I guess their style just isn't for me. Honestly, if weren't for the insights into Jump production, I would've dropped Bakuman as well.

Ah well, to each his own :p. Though, your favorites seem to have better luck than mine *cough* Double Arts *cough* :darn.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Bakuman is safe no matter what, but the last thing Psyren needs right now is haters.
Then i'm not needed? blast, i so do enjoy disliking the generic series (and not generic in the good black cat way... though i say that, i'm a fan of shao, he's pretty cool)


sexyrandal105 said:
As for Bakuman, it's a Tsugumi Ohba manga. You really either love it or hate it. Personally I think the man is brilliant. Especially mixed with my favorite artist, Obata. The whole series just seems nostalgic to me since it has a huge Hikaru no go vibe (Even though technically I am still reading it, because Viz is slow as fuck)...
Yeah despite being a different writer to HnG i get what ya mean. Obata's gone back to drawing in a way where he's evidently enjoying his work more than before. it has passion behind it. it helps that ohba's not a pretentious poophat this time around too

kaiten.sama said:
'm starting to come around to Bokke - san. Five chapters is to early to tell, but it gets a little more interesting with each chapter. The sports manga are generic but entertaining, I don't think either mangaka has more in them. Main character(s) loves sports, underdog team(s) with potential, nobody gives them a chance, vow to get better, get better, ultimately win against the odds. Good fun reads but little else.
Meister kinda defeated the underdog cliche thing by already having had the team become a hot tip through the last tourneys 'underdog rising through the ranks' bit, so i have to disagree... but then i'm a meister fanboy

and now for part of my post not based around quoting....

Inumaru Dashi's first volumes out in a few days, and yours truly is buying it to further his gag love (other series toget my love being FINALLY Taizo Mote Saga and volleyball tsukai gouda go for now)
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I think bokke-san and psyren share one thing. It's slow starting. Both the stories have the potential. The main question is of course how it will be worked out (in bokke's case).

In contrast to some, I think psyren started very good (which manga doesn't btw) then it was kinda mediocre even during the tatsuo arc (let's say it was mieru hito level). But still, there was something that appealed me. After the tatsuo arc, it's consistently rising up imo

as for bokke-san. Kinda strange but the attraction to the manga is coming faster to me than with psyren and toriko (read later). Bokke is the manga that started directly with an important element: the head character being a bokke and having cat god like power (which seems to be of a very high level). Like muhyo to roujie the mangaka succeeds to make the story interesting because of some great suspense elements (the bokke town, other bokkes, the northren vs southren district,...) into a story that started at its best. Bokke will prolly become that jojo like muhyo. Its art isn't generic and it'll have its own audience to survive

Toriko: one word - amazing. One comparison - one piece (an amazing manga that didn't appeal in the beginning, so "amazing" I stopped it. People talked good about it, I read it again and then you have to face the boomerang in your face :p)


oh and the cover

 
Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll have to disagree with you on Toriko and Mago, as I find their plots more original and much more enjoyable for my taste. I will agree with Bokke-san though seeing as I have read 50+ chapters of Psyren and I couldn't even make it through 1 full chapter of Bokke-san :p.



That's probably it. I've only glimpsed at Hikaru in the U.S. version of jump and I dropped Death Note about half way through. I guess their style just isn't for me. Honestly, if weren't for the insights into Jump production, I would've dropped Bakuman as well.

Ah well, to each his own :p. Though, your favorites seem to have better luck than mine *cough* Double Arts *cough* :darn.
Not really. Samurai Usagi died. =/
 

Cipo

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
278
Reaction score
440
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
try fifth. psyren's fifth. colours and covers aren't included
I think KHR! is in 5th position even if it hasn't color pages :amuse
Btw you're right, Psyren is fifth. My bad >.>

Thanks koenosaki for the cover :)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think bokke-san and psyren share one thing. It's slow starting. Both the stories have the potential. The main question is of course how it will be worked out (in bokke's case).

as for bokke-san. Kinda strange but the attraction to the manga is coming faster to me than with psyren and toriko (read later). Bokke is the manga that started directly with an important element: the head character being a bokke and having cat god like power (which seems to be of a very high level). Like muhyo to roujie the mangaka succeeds to make the story interesting because of some great suspense elements (the bokke town, other bokkes, the northren vs southren district,...) into a story that started at its best. Bokke will prolly become that jojo like muhyo. Its art isn't generic and it'll have its own audience to survive
I was never a huge Muhyo fan but Bokke impresses me a little more with each chapter. After chapter 5 I'm sold, of the three noobs it's the one I'd least like to lose. I've said it before, but I really like Sayu and Hino. Both are interesting, likable characters. And the art really is outstanding. Sad that Lingwe has dropped it. Hopefully someone will pick it up in time for chapter 6.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I was never a huge Muhyo fan but Bokke impresses me a little more with each chapter. After chapter 5 I'm sold, of the three noobs it's the one I'd least like to lose. I've said it before, but I really like Sayu and Hino. Both are interesting, likable characters. And the art really is outstanding. Sad that Lingwe has dropped it. Hopefully someone will pick it up in time for chapter 6.
Yeah over here too... Sad that Lingwe decided to drop it. It's not easy to translate. Well I hope this one isn't to be ignored because it is indeed a manga that is getting more interesting each chapter. Great suspense. I expect it to survive
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think bokke-san and psyren share one thing. It's slow starting. Both the stories have the potential. The main question is of course how it will be worked out (in bokke's case).

In contrast to some, I think psyren started very good (which manga doesn't btw) then it was kinda mediocre even during the tatsuo arc (let's say it was mieru hito level). But still, there was something that appealed me. After the tatsuo arc, it's consistently rising up imo

as for bokke-san. Kinda strange but the attraction to the manga is coming faster to me than with psyren and toriko (read later). Bokke is the manga that started directly with an important element: the head character being a bokke and having cat god like power (which seems to be of a very high level). Like muhyo to roujie the mangaka succeeds to make the story interesting because of some great suspense elements (the bokke town, other bokkes, the northren vs southren district,...) into a story that started at its best. Bokke will prolly become that jojo like muhyo. Its art isn't generic and it'll have its own audience to survive

Toriko: one word - amazing. One comparison - one piece (an amazing manga that didn't appeal in the beginning, so "amazing" I stopped it. People talked good about it, I read it again and then you have to face the boomerang in your face :p)
<hr noshade size="1">
oh and the cover

Psyren started off quite well. it was after teh opening arc with alfred (which presented AWESOME possibilities, as did the siren) that it went downhill...

Bokke could do the opposite, but i'm highly doubting it.

Also loving how much of a tiny tease that toriko cover is... ah well more coco is good!

sexyrandal105 said:
Not really. Samurai Usagi died. =/
true evidence of both our bad luck there randal. but then we are but many of the accursed fans who lose series. i'd say we have a combine victory in toriko but i hated it at first... ah well we both have series we like doing well! if only usagi was still about XD


ANYWAY
with current jump my hate list is shrinking, the only recurring element are series i slightly dislike or don't give a shit about, such as:

Bleach (now anyway, it used ot be good pre soul society.... or heck, just not in the plotless samey fights)
Reborn (now anyway, it used to be good back in the gag days... or heck, just not in the future arc)
Bokke-san (now anyway, it could be good in the future, i'm open minded, toriko proved it can happen)
Love Trouble (now anyway, it used to be good in year one... or heck, just not faffing about at the bottom of the TOC with developmentless or poor gag-filled chapters... REALLY POOR GAGS)


good god... i only dislike four series at present!
i'm scared
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Kind of surprised there's no psyren in the list noodle :p

oh and yeah I know how painful it can be when a great serie is axed. Just like mx0, man was I very sad I had to read it was ended :)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hope Kano comes back. It's a shame Mx0 died off. I still say Pretty Face was awesome.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For those hoping for Bleach's demise (or at least Toriko and Bakuman to finally take their position above it), Kewl0120 just reminded me of something: the manga is still being ranked for the Karakura fights. Once it gets to Ichigo/Ulquiorra and the current stuff, we'll see whether or not the series really is starting it's descent. (hopefully the answer is yes...but unfortunately I don't live in Japan and send in the postcards week after week)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
As a fan I'll take a fourth place ranking. I'm not so picky that I care weather it's 2, 4, or 5. Considering I like every series in the top five I can handle it. And no, sliding from consistantly third to fourth is not a sign of decline.

Yeah over here too... Sad that Lingwe decided to drop it. It's not easy to translate. Well I hope this one isn't to be ignored because it is indeed a manga that is getting more interesting each chapter. Great suspense. I expect it to survive.
Hopefully someone will pick it up. I understand Lingwe's reasons. I just hope it doesn't fall through the cracks the way Usagi did.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top