Discussion - Where does Makarov rank among the Saints? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Where does Makarov rank among the Saints?

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
When was it said jura was 7th? IIRC jura said he was the least of the wizard saints during the oracion 6 events and over time he grew to be about as strong as gildarts until the grand magic games. I would be of the idea that makarov until the past year was more powerful than gildarts in which case it makes sense he would have been at least 5th of the wizard saints along with jose. It's hard to say where he would have ranked exactly because the mashima ultimately made short work of the 4 "gods". I think it is fair to say that when the manga started the 10 wizard saints were a notoriously more powerful organization though. It didn't even properly recover from loosing makarov and jose. The only significant thing that happened over the 8 years that makarov and jose have been a thing is that jura grew stronger but no one appeared to fill the positions left behind by makarov and jose...
See I couldn't remember where I got that from which is why I thought I might have gotten it confused. I might have been an anime. Don't think it was OS cuz Jura only humbly stated that Makarov (and Jose) were higher. It seems like it was said he moved from 7 to 5 in gmg. Maybe the spinning lady?

Plutogrim

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Where was it mention that Jellal is 8th?

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Pretty sure Jura was 10th in the WS ranking in X784. Makarov would have occupied a position between 5-9. I would say he's above Jose and Jellal.

Jura became 5th by the time GMG started.

LighteningLord

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Makarov was between 6-9 and Jura as on 10th position I think. when Makarov defeated Jose during the FT-PL battle, the Magic council disbanded Jose from the 10 Wizar Saints and Makarov moved higher. I am wondering that why is Gildarts not in that list somewhere?:huh

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I am wondering that why is Gildarts not in that list somewhere?:huh
I think it's because there is more to being a WS than just power level. Laxus beat Jura but it was implied that behaviour would not allow or impede Laxus becoming a WS.

Gildarts reputation, I am not sure on, but he's a good person... perhaps his wanderer + philanderer ways don't help him. In power level he probably was GOI rank all along.

**Silver**

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I think it's because there is more to being a WS than just power level. Laxus beat Jura but it was implied that behaviour would not allow or impede Laxus becoming a WS.

Gildarts reputation, I am not sure on, but he's a good person... perhaps his wanderer + philanderer ways don't help him. In power level he probably was GOI rank all along.
just wondering how long God Serena has been the strongest saint hes barely in his (30s) and there was 7 years time-skip... and God Serena definitely is trouble maker so how he is the member off Wizard Saints??

extremebegins123

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Jellal
God Serena
Jura

Makarov
José porla
and the others randons ( ishigal shit gods )

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
just wondering how long God Serena has been the strongest saint hes barely in his (30s) and there was 7 years time-skip... and God Serena definitely is trouble maker so how he is the member off Wizard Saints??

Well, none of the Gods of Ishgar (except Jura, he technically wasn't one of them to begin with) are human. So I'm betting that God Serena, Draculos Hyberion, Wolfheim, and Warrod all age differently than normal humans.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they are all over the age of 100. Warrod should be around 100 years old and is looking pretty old. Wolfheim looks old too.

But Gods (Serena isn't really a god, but he isn't human either) and Vampires probably look 30 when they are 100.

That's why Acnologia is over 400 years old, but doesn't even have a trace of wrinkled skin. The dude ages like a dragon.

So to answer your question, I think God Serena has been one of the Gods of Ishgar for at least more than half a century (this is purely based off of my own guessing).

God Serena was considered a defect sometime at the end of Tartaros. So it's been a year since God Serena betrayed Ishgar and joined forces with Alvarez's 12 Spriggan Shields.

EDIT:

As for my opinion of where Makarov is ranked among the Wizards Saints:

Beginning of Series - Tenrou: 5th Ranked TWS (strongest human TWS)

Tenrou - Tartaros - 6th Ranked TWS (behind Jura)

Tartaros - Alvarez - 5th-10th Ranked TWS (depending on how much the other TWS have trained)

Last edited:

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
What, the WIzards Saints are not human?
Was it really proved? I allways thought Ooba said that just to stress out the fact that they were out of everyone else's league in terms of power/experience etc. Not their real, like, race. Never considered them to be truly non-human entities since their first appearance. They seem pretty human-looking to me, aside from maybe Warrod whose tree ressemblance is probably due to the nature of his magic.

**Silver**

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Well, none of the Gods of Ishgar (except Jura, he technically wasn't one of them to begin with) are human. So I'm betting that God Serena, Draculos Hyberion, Wolfheim, and Warrod all age differently than normal humans.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they are all over the age of 100. Warrod should be around 100 years old and is looking pretty old. Wolfheim looks old too.

But Gods (Serena isn't really a god, but he isn't human either) and Vampires probably look 30 when they are 100.

That's why Acnologia is over 400 years old, but doesn't even have a trace of wrinkled skin. The dude ages like a dragon.

So to answer your question, I think God Serena has been one of the Gods of Ishgar for at least more than half a century (this is purely based off of my own guessing).

God Serena was considered a defect sometime at the end of Tartaros. So it's been a year since God Serena betrayed Ishgar and joined forces with Alvarez's 12 Spriggan Shields.

EDIT:

As for my opinion of where Makarov is ranked among the Wizards Saints:

Beginning of Series - Tenrou: 5th Ranked TWS (strongest human TWS)

Tenrou - Tartaros - 6th Ranked TWS (behind Jura)

Tartaros - Alvarez - 5th-10th Ranked TWS (depending on how much the other TWS have trained)
Wolfheim has Takeover magic (Lisanna.Elfman.Mira) has that magic too and Mira is normal human

Warrod he is special why he looks like a tree?? is because Warrod is comedy character and joke

Goi is considered monsters because their magic power was immense levels compared to Gmc mages...

and why Acnologia is still young??? you know Dragons is mythical creatures and can live thousands years...

:cheez:cheez:cheez:cheez

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think that Ooba was exaggerating there. If she wanted to say that they were out of Jura's league, she could have just said something along the lines of "Their power cannot be compared to any normal being".

But the fact that the 4 Gods of Ishgar were stated to be non-humans and for Ooba to stress that Jura is the "Strongest Human Wizard Saint" implies that the 4 GoI aren't human.

They may look like human or take the form of a human, but that's no surprise because we've seen many non-humans in Fairy Tail who look like human beings.

Like the 9 demon gates of Tartaros (Mard Geer, Kyouka, Sayla). All of them are biologically demon, but look like any normal human being would.

Humans like the Spriggans and Gildartz are all way more powerful than the 4 GoI. So I don't think it was used as a hype tool.

The 4 GoI being non-humans actually makes a lot of sense because it would explain why they look so young, yet have achieved the title of the "Top 4 TWS/GoI" for such a long period of time.

For most humans, it would take until Makarov's age just to reach 5th ranked TWS, and even the 5th ranked wizard is far beneath the Top 4.

Plus, Warrod is around Precht's (Hades) age, which is like 101 years old. And Precht needed a heart to stay fit for his age.

Warrod doesn't and is the currently the last living member out of the 4 Fairy Tail Guild Founders.

Last edited:

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
I don't think that Ooba was exaggerating there. If she wanted to say that they were out of Jura's league, she could have just said something along the lines of "Their power cannot be compared to any normal being".

But the fact that the 4 Gods of Ishgar were stated to be non-humans and for Ooba to stress that Jura is the "Strongest Human Wizard Saint" implies that the 4 GoI aren't human.

They may look like human or take the form of a human, but that's no surprise because we've seen many non-humans in Fairy Tail who look like human beings.

Like the 9 demon gates of Tartaros (Mard Geer, Kyouka, Sayla). All of them are biologically demon, but look like any normal human being would.

Humans like the Spriggans and Gildartz are all way more powerful than the 4 GoI. So I don't think it was used as a hype tool.

The 4 GoI being non-humans actually makes a lot of sense because it would explain why they look so young, yet have achieved the title of the "Top 4 TWS/GoI" for such a long period of time.

For most humans, it would take until Makarov's age just to reach 5th ranked TWS, and even the 5th ranked wizard is far beneath the Top 4.

Plus, Warrod is around Precht's (Hades) age, which is like 101 years old. And Precht needed a heart to stay fit for his age.

Warrod doesn't and is the currently the last living member out of the 4 Fairy Tail Guild Founders.
Although Serena is a human...

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although Serena is a human...

Was it stated that Serena is a human? I don't remember of any case where it was.

We know Serena isn't a god, but that won't automatically make him a human. Hyberion is likely a vampire, Wolfheim a beast, and Warrod a tree-infected human.

I can speculate on Serena, but although he looks human, it would make a lot more sense if he wasn't.

He could be a demi-god... idk, maybe his father was a god and his mother a human. But Ooba said no mortals could be compared to the 4 GoI and that Jura is the strongest human wizard saint. She even stressed that part out cuz she kinda repeated it.

So it looks to me as if Serena is not human, along with the other 3 GoI.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Was it stated that Serena is a human? I don't remember of any case where it was.

We know Serena isn't a god, but that won't automatically make him a human. Hyberion is likely a vampire, Wolfheim a beast, and Warrod a tree-infected human.

I can speculate on Serena, but although he looks human, it would make a lot more sense if he wasn't.

He could be a demi-god... idk, maybe his father was a god and his mother a human. But Ooba said no mortals could be compared to the 4 GoI and that Jura is the strongest human wizard saint. She even stressed that part out cuz she kinda repeated it.

So it looks to me as if Serena is not human, along with the other 3 GoI.
In one of the volumes Hiro revealed that "God Serena" is the title of the 1st Wizard Saint in Ishgar.

So his real name is not God Serena.People address him by his Title.

Makarov should be 5th position slight stronger than Jura.

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
His old ass is probably last, I never saw him as a powerhouse. His best "Wizard Saint" moment was grappling Acno. When he killed Jose will FL it was cool sight but overall wasn't impressive in terms of power.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I rate him above Jura.

the problem is, Makarov is old so he cannot really fight properly. if he doesn't have heart problems then he would have been a powerhouse indeed.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
In one of the volumes Hiro revealed that "God Serena" is the title of the 1st Wizard Saint in Ishgar.

So his real name is not God Serena.People address him by his Title.

Makarov should be 5th position slight stronger than Jura.

Yeah, I know, but like I said earlier, just because Serena is not a god, that doesn't automatically make him a human. The "God" part in Serena's name is just a title, but he is still not considered human because that's what Ooba said when she stated that Jura was the strongest human wizard saint.

I agree that Makarov should be around 5th position except for GMG, because that was when Jura surpassed Makarov while FT was trapped in the 7 year stasis on Tenrou.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Yeah, I know, but like I said earlier, just because Serena is not a god, that doesn't automatically make him a human. The "God" part in Serena's name is just a title, but he is still not considered human because that's what Ooba said when she stated that Jura was the strongest human wizard saint.

I agree that Makarov should be around 5th position except for GMG, because that was when Jura surpassed Makarov while FT was trapped in the 7 year stasis on Tenrou.
True.Until proven we can't say for sure if any one is human or not.Though my personal believe is that he is a human.

Makarov with his Fairy Law should be above Jura though.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
True.Until proven we can't say for sure if any one is human or not.Though my personal believe is that he is a human.

Makarov with his Fairy Law should be above Jura though.

I guess, but I don't see any reason why Serena wouldn't be considered a non-human. Especially after Mashima went through all the trouble to explain that the 4 GoI cannot be compared to any mortal. Even Ooba acknowledges that Jura's human capabilities cannot surpass the Top 4 Wizard Saints.

If the 4 GoI are humans, I doubt Mashima would waste panels explaining that, since it wasn't even relevant to the storyline.

Physical appearance doesn't matter much to me because we've seen human-looking demons.

As for Makarov's rank, Fairy Law may be a powerful spell, but the effectiveness of the spell also depends on its caster. If the caster hasn't been training for 7 years and doesn't have the MP to match his/her opponent, then Fairy Law won't really help win the battle.

Jura can shield himself by creating an iron rock pit which will block any form of light from making contact with him.

Then once Fairy Law is done being casted, Makarov will run out of magical energy which will allow Jura to go on the offensive.

I think that Makarov was always well above Jura, but the 7 years stasis really put a heavy toll on the FT members, as noted by Gray.

While Makarov's body was at rest for 84 months, Jura was spending each day training.

I don't think it's far fetched for Jura to catch up to Makarov with that amount of time.