Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The tournament arc was so cool in terms of character development and back story, but the conclusion of the tournament was very anticlimactic.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
MHA - All arcs involving lots of UA students and Villains + Sports fest. Every one of these is so hype. USJ, Stain, Training Camp, Bakugou rescue.

Black Clover - First Dungeon arc when Asta got his second sword. The only part of the series I can actually look back on as being better than just average (or worse). It was exciting to read.

Naruto - Chuunin Exam. This arc is still likely the best early arc in a shounen ever (that I've read). It focused on so many great characters and villains, old and new as well as starting to show some of the series mysteries. It was so damn dark too, you could feel their lives were in danger, especially with Gaara around. I look at how it was represented in Boruto, and there's no tension whatsoever.

One Piece - Alabasta. This the first time you really realise the scale of the world. Crocodile was the first "official" villain per say and really gave us a peak at what lay ahead in regards to strong villains. Binged it in like a day...

Soma - Autumn Fest. Man this series is so shit in comparison to 100 chapters ago.

Assassination Classroom - Island Assault arc. The series became more than just a school life comedy. Shit got real.

World Trigger - Invasion arc. Having villains finally introduced just put things in a whole new perspective. It wasn't just training for the point of becoming more skilled anymore.

Toriko: Century Soup arc. Combined everything the series did best at once.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The few I can think of off the top of my head:

MHA -
I liked it a lot from the start, but chapter 39(Todoroki's backstory mixed in with his fight with Izuku) was the specific moment where I thought "This is the real deal".

Black Clover - Not really any moment, but I think BC is at it's best during in between chapters, where it's just fun shenanigans with the cast.

Naruto - Chuunin Exams

Gintama - I started with the anime, so episode 25 was when I truly got into the series. It was the hot pot episode.

Hunter x Hunter - The Yorknew City arc.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com
every volume of MHA is in the top 500. Volume 1 is 254. Next weeks should be in top 50.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com
every volume of MHA is in the top 500. Volume 1 is 254. Next weeks should be in top 50.
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot that the anime technically started. I'm curious to see on Thursday how it's ratings were in the new timeslot.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I dropped all the new series, but might pick Poro back up. Although I saw the new chapter and I swear it's taunting me I want a Round 1 near me so bad uuugh
Poro got a new qt waifu, so I'm kinda wondering why would they introduce a new character so close to its ranking if they're not sure it will survive


and speaking of the new Jump issue, there is a colored preview for Shimabukuro's new oneshot in it, look it up if you think black and white version wasn't disgusting enough :xp

remember when Toriko's fans were salty because "Jump demoted him to Saikyuu" now that you have seen his oneshot do you really think this is a WSJ type of series?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,327
Age
33
Country
Scotland
English Jump is pretty early today. No new series announcements yet though, I guess they're waiting for Robot's Jump start to end first.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
English Jump is pretty early today. No new series announcements yet though, I guess they're waiting for Robot's Jump start to end first.
Its always kind of annoyed me that its released at a different time each week. Youd think it would have a set release time, not "within these 2-3 hours". Jump + updates the second it hits midnight in Japan. Makes things easy.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I'm hyped to read the Hori interview, if it's this week as I believe.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I actually hadn't thought about this topic yet, so this is cool.

One Piece: Arlong Park was probably the best arc in OP and possibly all of shounen. The fight against Arlong was filled with so much emotion that you could really feel it behind every punch. Especially the scene in the charting room, the conversation and the final attack were so satisfying.

MHA: The Tournament Arc really sealed the deal for me. Todoroki's origin chapter was really great to read and it was awesome seeing Deku telling him to get his shit together even if it lowered his chances of winning. It was also nice to see it had a conclusive ending unlike a certain other manga.

Black Clover: I remember reading this series when it had a few chapters out and the first scanlated chapter looked like trash. I think I only started because it was a new battle shounen that was literally Naruto and that peaked my interest so I started to read it. Nothing about it really stands out besides the art, but I do enjoy the chapters that aren't just mindless fighting. I find the characters interacting more enjoyable than them fighting.

Toriko: Century Soup was a damn good arc that really set up Toriko's story well as an actual action adventure manga. The fight against Tommyrod was bloody and hype and a bunch of other good stuff. Really am glad I have Toriko another shot after dropping it twice.

Reborn: I had to sorta trudge through the first 40 or so average chapters to finally get to the good parts of it apparently, so I did. The Xanxus arc was good, the Varia arc was great, but the Future arc really went downhill quick. Thankfully the series picked up a bit when the rainbow arc thing went down because it was kinda cool to see a battle royal with everyone's reasons for fighting so I was able to finish the series on a decent note. I didn't care about Tsuna the entire series though because he annoyed me. I liked the other characters like Hibari and his birds more.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Naruto, certainly. Naruto was so good at its beginning that I dare to say that it was better than One Piece.

Bakuman and Koisome Momiji are honorable mentions.
In the judgement day you shall receive no mercy for this sin.

Best first chapter of all manga of all time: One Piece.
Worst (of manga that actually survived): Hiatus x Hiatus

Best of recent manga: Dr. Stone
Worst of recent manga: We Can't Study

First rank of U19: dead bottom
Second rank of We Can't Study (Anywhere in bottom is fine)

Robot x Laserbeam: Most Solid of the 6 new manga, no surprise at all. (read my signature for further information)

Further comments and hopes: HZ "normal end" (AKA cancelation).
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Off topic: If two certain kids comes out alive on TPN I'll be hoping for it's cancelation faster than anything else in my entire reader life.
 
Last edited:

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why does it seem like ESJ was somewhat trying to avoid discussing MHA with Horikoshi in the interview the same way they did for Tabata on the last interview?
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Off topic: If two certain kids comes out alive on TPN I'll be hoping for it's cancelation faster than anything else in my entire reader life.
We will miss you.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
reading these viz interviews feels like watching that Fifa movie if you remember it

instead of making a movie about football they made a movie about the f***ing executives

this is the same shit, instead of the talking about the making manga process they're talking about the glorious editors help

anyhow, seeing all of these Hori's cps makes wanna see more manga drawn in his style, hopefully the assistants that did Imawa no Juukurou oneshot get his own series soon
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The interview started off fairly well, but they asked too much about American comics.

One day for the final artwork though. That's ridiculous.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
The interview started off fairly well, but they asked too much about American comics.

One day for the final artwork though. That's ridiculous.
If I'm right, he's also doing extra posters for the next few weeks right?. Doing all that would take some Mashima-like Flash speed drawing skills.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com
every volume of MHA is in the top 500. Volume 1 is 254. Next weeks should be in top 50.
Around 10-12 volumes of Heroaca have been in the top 500 since last Sunday (19th). It got a slight boost due to a special talk show program that aired in the Kansai region.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top