Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fans of the series likely just don't go out of their way to buy a physical version of the manga is because it's all free on the Jump+ app.
Chps dont stay free forever.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Yeah this is... the whole take is flawed. There’s been as much old blood as there has been fresh faces lately, feels like.
Not to mention, the majority of hits from as far back as the Golden Age were either from newcomers, or people with no prior hits. This whole take seems nonsensical.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So I was just catching up with Samurai 8. Am I understanding it correctly that the (all male?) Samurai warriors each need a princess companion to protect to get their dicks swords hard? This sure doesn't bode well for Kishimoto's growth with handling female characters.
On top of that, the series is still very tiresome to read, thanks to all the other problems it has (way too much text&infodumps, weird panel flow, annoying lead, barely readable artwork...). Shame for all the effort that is obviously spend on the art, which is pretty fantastic in terms of detail and pure craftsmanship.

Chps dont stay free forever.
Aren't the online-series like SxF supposed to stay free forever?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So I was just catching up with Samurai 8. Am I understanding it correctly that the (all male?) Samurai warriors each need a princess companion to protect to get their dicks swords hard? This sure doesn't bode well for Kishimoto's growth with handling female characters.
On top of that, the series is still very tiresome to read, thanks to all the other problems it has (way too much text&infodumps, weird panel flow, annoying lead, barely readable artwork...). Shame for all the effort that is obviously spend on the art, which is pretty fantastic in terms of detail and pure craftsmanship.
Eee-yup >> I am honestly shocked more people aren't talking about that, because it's seriously one of the most questionable things I've read. Like, this is arguably below Naruto's level, especially considering this is literally the first female characters in the manga.

And I agree on the art thing, it's obvious a lot of work has been put into it, but what all that effort has sacrificed is making the manga easily readable.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Eee-yup >> I am honestly shocked more people aren't talking about that, because it's seriously one of the most questionable things I've read.
The symbolism isn't even subtle! They literally show the protagonist holding a limp sword while going on about how he needs a princess to protect, so he can be a true Samurai (and get his sword erect, I assume).
This series' obsession with the overly complicated & specific rules of being a Samurai doesn't really do it any favors.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Yeah this is... the whole take is flawed. There’s been as much old blood as there has been fresh faces lately, feels like.
Yeah, the way I stated it is definitely wrong. Let me shift my own goalposts, I think Jump should stop hyping up young authors. e.g. Masaoki Shindou. There was another series/one-shot (forgot which) by a 17 year-old or so. My point is primarily that them being young shouldn't be considered as a good thing, given that Jump used to wait until students were graduated to publish them in serializations. I don't like how they're tossing that concept away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
The symbolism isn't even subtle! They literally show the protagonist holding a limp sword while going on about how he needs a princess to protect, so he can be a true Samurai (and get his sword erect, I assume).
This series' obsession with the overly complicated & specific rules of being a Samurai doesn't really do it any favors.
Tell me about it. Over the first volume, we've gotten details on the Locker Balls, the Key Holders, the swords and now the Princesses. All of these things put together has made the action really difficult to follow, and it doesn't help that we have lots of exposition on how Samurai in the setting work but not, say, basic details about where we are and what's going on.

The idea that the protagonist can only be a true hero if he has a woman to protect is almost comical in its presentation.

:kkthumbs


Yeah, the way I stated it is definitely wrong. Let me shift my own goalposts, I think Jump should stop hyping up young authors. e.g. Masaoki Shindou. There was another series/one-shot (forgot which) by a 17 year-old or so. My point is primarily that them being young shouldn't be considered as a good thing, given that Jump used to wait until students were graduated to publish them in serializations. I don't like how they're tossing that concept away.
They're not, though? All of those ultra young authors are one-shots, not full serializations.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Aren't the online-series like SxF supposed to stay free forever?
No, chapters expire once they’ve been released as volumes. Though they can be accessed with the in-app currency.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
No, chapters expire once they’ve been released as volumes. Though they can be accessed with the in-app currency.
Is that also true for MangaPlus? Because for SxF it just says "All chapters are free and ready to enjoy!" without any warning about them being unavailable later.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Is that also true for MangaPlus? Because for SxF it just says "All chapters are free and ready to enjoy!" without any warning about them being unavailable later.
Seems not. For example, Dricam has 48 chapters and none have been removed.
From what I heard, Arata Primal, LAND LOCK, and recently Blue Flag and Summer Time Rendering all have each chapter available. All are Jump+
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Samurai 8's still uneventful and boring, the girl's cute I guess but if it wasn't by Kishi I'd have written it off as an obvious flop. No impact to anything, no goal, no meaningful progress past chapter 1, a couple villains that advanced nothing and only existed for the sake of forcing in some fighting, infodumping everything before giving people a reason to care about the infodumps, it's like it's making every possible beginning mistake. There's no draw to it.

You'd think Kishimoto with all his experience would write something a bit less impotent, perhaps it's been so long since he started a manga that he has no idea how to actually introduce a setting any more.

What do you guys think of Arata Primal? It looks like it's one of the most popular series on mangaplus but it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention (then again, I only really look for manga discussion here and reddit, so maybe that's on me). I recently caught up with it, and it's pretty great so far. I'm a huge fan of survival series and this one is a great new one to follow.
I found it unbearable personally and dropped it a few chapters in, the setting and story is interesting but the MC is genuinely the most annoying of any manga I've ever read. I have never before dropped a manga because I didn't like the main character but I did here.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Seems not. For example, Dricam has 48 chapters and none have been removed.
From what I heard, Arata Primal, LAND LOCK, and recently Blue Flag and Summer Time Rendering all have each chapter available. All are Jump+
to be fair though none of those chapters have been released as volumes which is when they're removed from Jump+. The only ongoing Jump+ stuff that has volumes in English released (Boys over Flowers, MHA Vigilantes and World End Harem) aren't on Manga+ so its hard to know. Jigokuraku only has the first 3 and newest 3 chapters (in Canada at least) though.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Maybe mangaplus will remove the free chapters when they have a solution in place to access them if you want to. If they do it now, the chapter is just unavailable, which doesn't seem like a good idea.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They literally show the protagonist holding a limp sword while going on about how he needs a princess to protect, so he can be a true Samurai (and get his sword erect, I assume).
Yes, you very much do assume. It was never stated the princess is required for the bone sword. In fact, we've seen two Samurai already that didn't even have princesses that were fully capable of using their bone swords.

The true Samurai thing is alluding to something else.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Yes, you very much do assume. It was never stated the princess is required for the bone sword. In fact, we've seen two Samurai already that didn't even have princesses that were fully capable of using their bone swords.

The true Samurai thing is alluding to something else.
Based Buranchi I've seen you cut through the bs on this thread multiple times, I appreciate your comments here since you've made yourself a pretty solid, reputable dude.
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
So I was just catching up with Samurai 8. Am I understanding it correctly that the (all male?) Samurai warriors each need a princess companion to protect to get their dicks swords hard? This sure doesn't bode well for Kishimoto's growth with handling female characters.
On top of that, the series is still very tiresome to read, thanks to all the other problems it has (way too much text&infodumps, weird panel flow, annoying lead, barely readable artwork...). Shame for all the effort that is obviously spend on the art, which is pretty fantastic in terms of detail and pure craftsmanship.


Aren't the online-series like SxF supposed to stay free forever?
Obviously you are wrong. Considering you mentioned "all male?" contradicts fully with your statement, as that suggest females don't need a princess. And Daruma already hinted it: he doesn't have a conviction yet and is still worried for his father. Whatever his conviction is to protect the princess, make her Queen of the Universe or something else, is still yet to be seen.

People really love hating the manga. If its such a bore to you all, stop reading it... I'm honestly tired of seeing (especially that Spectre) shitting on it each week. Either go into the manga thread and shit there, or stop it already. We get it, you hate it, you found hundreds of flaws. Now let the other people enjoy it if they want. Just because you find "flaws" in it, doesn't mean other do too. I have zero desire to go and praise each series I like, I just read and enjoy. Do you see me or other people shitting constantly on the series we don't like? I'm also definitely purchasing it, when the volumes come out. Samurai 8 is obviously ain't going anywhere anytime soon. It's even receiving CP next week in "response for great popularity", but you do go and tell me how bad it is, I'm listening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top