Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,579
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh the irony that you would criticise Overlord characters for obessessing over Ainz and then we come around to Speedwagon. The most hamfisted character shill in the history of character shilling.

"Jojo's handsomeness and genius is the the pinnacle of humanity. No. The pinnacle of all life in the universe! To realize his opponents only weakness was to be punched in the face. Such strategy! Such elegance!"

The only way he could have even been interesting would have been if they just embraced the fact that he was clearly experiencing a homoerotic awakening for Johnny. I would have actually found that mildly interesting.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,535
Reaction score
21,780
Gender
Female
Country
China
Are you unironically claiming Overlord is of higher storytelling quality than Jojo
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,646
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
"Jojo's handsomeness and genius is the the pinnacle of humanity. No. The pinnacle of all life in the universe! To realize his opponents only weakness was to be punched in the face. Such strategy! Such elegance!"
The audacity to simplify down the deepness that is Speedwagon but then turn around and try to complicate Overlord... It's actually baffling.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are you unironically claiming Overlord is of higher storytelling quality than Jojo
I only watched the first 3 seasons. So my opinion extends only that far. But yes I would claim that.

In fact, I would claim Bleach has a higher storytelling quality.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,535
Reaction score
21,780
Gender
Female
Country
China
Well... He also likes FT and E0 so... I'm pretty that foundationally our ideas of good/enjoyable storytelling differ
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I only watched the first 3 seasons. But yes I would claim that but that's not saying much.

In fact, I would Bleach has a higher storytelling quality.
Or maybe it's just bait
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Or maybe it's just bait
I just don't like Jojo. This is well documented.

There are things about it I respect. I think it's very stylistic, even if I don't care for the style. And it tries some interesting things in the way it picks a genre or set of tropes and then makes each sub series it's version of that. Problem is I think it doesn't do it very well. I think the dialogue and characters are generally not good and the plot is mostly nonsense.

I think it's main value is memes.
 
Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,579
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well Zimbu is prolly happy that the riots finally happened
Yeah... took you guys long enough
:nah

Considering that the last 2 are pretty obvious (and this current topic is highly invigorating), I will leave it a little bit before we bring this all to a close
:verily
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,535
Reaction score
21,780
Gender
Female
Country
China
I just don't like Jojo. This is well documented.

There are things about it I respect. I think it's very stylistic, even if I don't care for the style. And it's tries some interesting things in the way it picks a genres or set of tropes and then makes each sub series it's version of that. Problem is I think it doesn't do it very well. I think the dialogue and characters are generally not good and the plot is mostly nonsense.

I think it's main value is memes.
You probably feel like I do when you say Overlord discusses complex themes, so probs for the best to respectfully disagree on this smh
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Panda talking shit with that avy is like "LOOKING COOL JAMMIN"

Yeah... took you guys long enough
:nah

Considering that the last 2 are pretty obvious (and this current topic is highly invigorating), I will leave it a little bit before we bring this all to a close
:verily

How awfully sadistic of you.

...

Thank you
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pretty sure that the rest of us would enjoy it more if you disagreed in a less respectful tone
:invalid
You got two left and Gry already tagged me in here so he could troll me about Overlord. So I'll see if I can hook you up. :kappa
 
  • Like
Reactions: z.5

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Still waiting for Sword Art Online to appear :awe
SAO is collectively hated by most nowadays though. It had its fair share of defenders when it was still new and the object of hype, but even those I know who liked it at first nowadays look back at it and cringe. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not actually the case everywhere, but that's why I didn't vote for it at least.

(Didn't stop me from voting FT last round though. :teehee)
 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
Lets be honest here, no isekai anime gets close to Jojo's originality and characters. Its not the deepest show out there but you cannot pair it with anything that features the "main character enters a game world, he's the strongest and has a handful of females behind" plot.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,646
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
SAO is collectively hated by most nowadays though. It had its fair share of defenders when it was still new and the object of hype, but even those I know who liked it at first nowadays look back at it and cringe. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not actually the case everywhere, but that's why I didn't vote for it at least.

(Didn't stop me from voting FT last round though. :teehee)
There is most likely a reason they keep making new SAOs you know. It‘s very popular.
 
Top