Games - Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over... | Page 31 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Gintama? That‘s underrated if anything, judging by it‘s quality alone.
Not if you look at MAL. Extremely popular and highly rated.

I included it mostly because it's confusing to look at MAL top lists, and have them full of several different Gintama series. Tried to get into it several times, but never really could. The manga was an instant catch. I think flow of humor there just worked better for my taste.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Not if you look at MAL. Extremely popular and highly rated.

I included it mostly because it's confusing to look at MAL top lists, and have them full of several different Gintama series. Tried to get into it several times, but never really could. The manga was an instant catch. I think flow of humor there just worked better for my taste.
Hm I wonder how representative MAL really is for this, though I see what you mean. Pom also likes the manga of Gintama more, though she still enjoys the anime enough.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Hm I wonder how representative MAL really is for this, though I see what you mean. Pom also likes the manga of Gintama more, though she still enjoys the anime enough.
I'd think MAL is as about representative as it gets. It's the biggest anime focused database with user scoring, so as far as pure data about over/underrates, it's most likely the primary source that can be used.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Howl's Moving Castle is a good choice here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

MAL, you mob, and other 'friends' are the only basis for overrated I had available to me.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Orgz had only 2 picks so far but annoyed me with both :nah Death Parade and... Digimon? What?
Oh that's a bonus! :teehee

Death Parade was hyped up for me to no end. I made it through half the series before it lost my attention. Just not very well written or interesting imo.

Digimon, well.. it's better than Pokemon, I'll give that to Ust, but the way people talk about it on this forum makes it seem like a masterpiece in a whole different class from Pokemon / Yu-Gi-Oh etc when it's just... better.

(Not sure if Yu-Gi-Oh made my list in the end btw, think I swapped it for Digimon because I've actually seen quite a bit of Digimon and just one arc and some eps here and there of the second Yu-Gi-Oh series.)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Howl's Moving Castle is a good choice here.
It's not a bad film at all; visually it's astounding and definitely has moments of pure Miyazaki magic. But that's it - moments. Much of it is actually a bit of a mess, yet it's somehow become more popular and held in higher regard by many than any of his other films, while I regard it as the only slight misstep in his filmography. So yeah, definitely a good film, but not as amazing as people claim.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also think Howl is a good pick. It has a huge separate following and fan base, a lot more popular than some other Ghibli films. Sure it looks and sounds gorgeous, but I think it is one of Miyazakis worst. The story just doesn't quite hold. Everyone says the book is so much better in that regard. Pretty sure they are right.

Despite all that, I still rate it a 4-/5. So even at his worst Miyazaki is still pretty damn good :D

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
With the Bakemonogatari pick I thought of the Monigatari series as a whole. It is okay at best, but nowhere near good enough for the attention it got. It had only a few good arcs and episodes, rest was very boring and difficult to watch through.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
4 shared picks so far. I won't be surprised if all of my picks are shared lol.

Don't forget to PM your list for Interim Round 31
Also nominate your suggestions in the theme lottery.

We might have simultaneous countdowns in the future if you keep hosting this 'worst' lists :nod

Juviii

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Made in Abyss is a good pick. It was hyped like a masterpiece here and has a really high rank on Mal. It's a good anime but nowhere near a masterpiece.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
With the Bakemonogatari pick I thought of the Monigatari series as a whole. It is okay at best, but nowhere near good enough for the attention it got. It had only a few good arcs and episodes, rest was very boring and difficult to watch through.
In general, I tried to combine like-with-like, in this round.
I probably should have put Bakemonogatari under the title of 'Monogatari', but it didn't cross my mind...
:invalid

I've still not got around to watching Made in Abyss - I had it on my list since gnut (I think?!?) had posted a gif of the animation (it was pretty beautiful)
but aye [considering the hype], I'd not be surprised if it wasn't quite as good as people would have me believe...

All I remember from the Pokemans cartoon is the theme tune (it rocks harder than Attack on Titan) and the unbelievably harrowing Charmander death scene

Seeing as I have a little free time, before lunch

Here are some more picks

5 points

Bleach
FaustXIII

Dragon Ball
Hardy

Durarara
shinobi

Spice and Wolf
Brandish

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
zimbardo

Tokyo Ghoul
Erinyes

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
You just bitched to me when I added it to the manga list =_= you deserve a new and worse nickname...
Because I keep hearing "DBZ sucks BUT DRAGONBALL THO" when in reality it has aged rather poorly too, for different reasons. It's way too slow except for the tournament arcs. It probably works better in a manga format but I admit I haven't read it.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Because I keep hearing "DBZ sucks BUT DRAGONBALL THO" when in reality it has aged rather poorly too, for different reasons. It's way too slow except for the tournament arcs. It probably works better in a manga format but I admit I haven't read it.
Yeah it's way better in the manga.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
In general, I tried to combine like-with-like, in this round.
I probably should have put Bakemonogatari under the title of 'Monogatari', but it didn't cross my mind...
:invalid
Ah no, was just explaining my pick. The 1st season isn‘t as bad as some others of Monogatari, but took it as my representative for the series on the list.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Too much filler doth make the sandwich somewhat difficult to swallow

How about something a little more digestible?

9 points

Berserk
Juviii

Elfen Lied
revo

Fullmetal Alchemist
Hardy

Rurouni Kenshin
shinobi

The Promised Neverland
Erinyes (1) + Gajeel (8)

Your Lie in April