Games - Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over... | Page 23 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
OPM S1 of anime would be a great pick for the anime list equivalent.

As for Neverland, think @Copy Panda made a perfect post with a summary of it‘s flaws(and flaws of many new mangas), would be a good quote here. Though unsure how appreciated it‘s been since the first arc ended.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I completely forgot about One Punch Man in the list.I realised it after sending the list.

TPN is really overrated.The first arc was really hype worthy but after that everything seems low quality.To tell the truth only the first arc is carrying the series.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, TPN didn't live up to the hype. The first arc was good, but it was gimmicky. It relied so heavily on shock-value, twists and the prison break tension, that it couldn't quite stand on it's own two feet after that.

It had good moments post-escape, but just moments. Overall it wasn't quite that good. Enjoyable read still though.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Kakegurui hate smh.
Ah come on, don't be like that my love. Play with me!

Boruto
@Kiki
I was going to post a derpy gif, but this one of him crying over a potato brings me far more joy
That's an invalid pick. I don't know of any work called Boruto. Please fix it, @zimbardo.

Again @syx agree with Solo leveling in your list.

It gets abnormal amount of hype in MAL which is not worthy of the Manhwa quality.

Though Sung Jin Woo is badass.
I read approx. +20 chapters and can't find anything positive about this boredom fest. Even the MC is bland as hell.

Horimiya
@Brandish (8) + @revo (8)
I gave this series several chances, because of the praise it got, but in every instance, I couldn't see the charm of it.

One Punch Man
@FaustXIII (4) + @Nii (5) + @Purity of Magi (1) + @shinobi (8)
How could I possibly miss OPM... zero plot, not a single character with substance.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Ah come on, don't be like that my love. Play with me!

That's an invalid pick. I don't know of any work called Boruto. Please fix it, @zimbardo.

I read approx. +20 chapters and can't find anything positive about this boredom fest. Even the MC is bland as hell.

I gave this series several chances, because of the praise it got, but in every instance, I couldn't see the charm of it.

How could I possible miss OPM... zero plot, not a single character with substance.
I think from post chapter 50 he began to gain character development.

Reactions: syx

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

The Promised Neverland
@Arjuna (4) + @Erinyes (2) + @Farfalla (6) + @Organizized (3) + @Purity of Magi (4)
I considered to put it in my list as well, but I don't see it being praised like in the past nowadays. Though the MAL rating is still way too high. Many people agree on the issues TPN has as far as I recall. It had an extremely captivating first arc, but the quality slowly started to decline. The author was just not able to keep up a certain high level. People already started to complain after the shift of the genre after the first arc. However, I still enjoyed it a lot for a relative long time. Today, a lot of things feel rushed (like most of the higher-level Demons are already done for) and there is a lot of potential which wasn't used at all (like a Norman pov arc at Lambda). It started out as a gem, but the sign of wear is clearly visible. Too bad...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
How could I possible miss OPM... zero plot, not a single character with substance.
I think Saitama and his depression/ennui are actually pretty well handled, and Garou is excellently written villain. Rest of the cast though is pretty superficial and you need to read pretty far into the series before they actually start to have any kind of character development for Saitama and Garou.

Plot refers to how a story is told in certain order and with certain scenes chosen to drive in a point or thematics. OPM actually does have different perspectives on what makes a hero and what's the meaning of a hero, so to say it has no plot is kinda exaggerated. It's just pretty flimsy. Especially at the start of the manga. Then ONE finds it, but then he loses it again when it becomes more of a show off of funny/cool heroes, but then it kinda finds it's way again.

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
One Punch Man is one of these silly mangas that I somehow simply can enjoy, and also the art style in there is good imo. It's kinda like a Dr. Stone manga for me, but then you have class hero's fighting monsters and the MC just being himself instead of Senku (just being himself too xD) fixing science in the world with his group.

Noblesse... yeah.... yeah.... just yeah.

@Farfalla just pure curiousity, but how many chapters have you actually read of TPN? Just wondering if you continued after chapter 12. xd

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Lemme check (not that it matters since I disagree it was so amazing from the very start. Maybe I suffer from the issue Orgz mentioned in one of his posts: people made me expect too much).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Chapter 30

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
I considered to put it in my list as well, but I don't see it being praised like in the past nowadays. Though the MAL rating is still way too high. Many people agree on the issues TPN has as far as I recall. It had an extremely captivating first arc, but the quality slowly started to decline. The author was just not able to keep up a certain high level. People already started to complain after the shift of the genre after the first arc. However, I still enjoyed it a lot for a relative long time. Today, a lot of things feel rushed (like most of the higher-level Demons are already done for) and there is a lot of potential which wasn't used at all (like a Norman pov arc at Lambda). It started out as a gem, but the sign of wear is clearly visible. Too bad...

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I agree with a lot of the points brought up about OPM. That doesn't change the fact that I love it. Just caught up on like 37 chapters (including >100 page ones) and all I could think was "more please". When it goes full cylinders on fantastic action and artwork, I don't give two cents about characters being superficial (which, to be fair, I feel is sort of intentional in many cases as it's satire/parody in large part, but I digress). And I usually put story way ahead of those, so that says a lot.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

6 of my picks are in the top 10. Well, that was predictable but still. :XD

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
OPM is a parody of BNHA if you think about it

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
Is that because the narrative stakes are lower than they are made out to be, because the characters don't properly convey the gravity of the situation or because seriousness inherently has no place in the genre?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Is that because the narrative stakes are lower than they are made out to be, because the characters don't properly convey the gravity of the situation or because seriousness inherently has no place in the genre?
Yes.

Seriously, I do like BnHA. Some parts more than others. And I think it balances seriousness and comedy fairly well. My previous post was mostly memeing it.

It's still on my list though. It's better than TPN and Dr. Stone, but I feel like it gets away with a lot of dramaturgic cliches because it weighs it up with a huge cast where everyone has their own fan club amongst readers.

And to be fair, that's pretty much describing One Piece as well, which is MAH MANGA (and likely ranked very high in this round), so I'm not one to talk really.