Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Gintama? That‘s underrated if anything, judging by it‘s quality alone.
Not if you look at MAL. Extremely popular and highly rated.

I included it mostly because it's confusing to look at MAL top lists, and have them full of several different Gintama series. Tried to get into it several times, but never really could. The manga was an instant catch. I think flow of humor there just worked better for my taste.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Not if you look at MAL. Extremely popular and highly rated.

I included it mostly because it's confusing to look at MAL top lists, and have them full of several different Gintama series. Tried to get into it several times, but never really could. The manga was an instant catch. I think flow of humor there just worked better for my taste.
Hm I wonder how representative MAL really is for this, though I see what you mean. Pom also likes the manga of Gintama more, though she still enjoys the anime enough.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Hm I wonder how representative MAL really is for this, though I see what you mean. Pom also likes the manga of Gintama more, though she still enjoys the anime enough.
I'd think MAL is as about representative as it gets. It's the biggest anime focused database with user scoring, so as far as pure data about over/underrates, it's most likely the primary source that can be used.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Howl's Moving Castle is a good choice here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

MAL, you mob, and other 'friends' are the only basis for overrated I had available to me.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Orgz had only 2 picks so far but annoyed me with both :nah Death Parade and... Digimon? What?
Oh that's a bonus! :teehee

Death Parade was hyped up for me to no end. I made it through half the series before it lost my attention. Just not very well written or interesting imo.

Digimon, well.. it's better than Pokemon, I'll give that to Ust, but the way people talk about it on this forum makes it seem like a masterpiece in a whole different class from Pokemon / Yu-Gi-Oh etc when it's just... better.

(Not sure if Yu-Gi-Oh made my list in the end btw, think I swapped it for Digimon because I've actually seen quite a bit of Digimon and just one arc and some eps here and there of the second Yu-Gi-Oh series.)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Howl's Moving Castle is a good choice here.
It's not a bad film at all; visually it's astounding and definitely has moments of pure Miyazaki magic. But that's it - moments. Much of it is actually a bit of a mess, yet it's somehow become more popular and held in higher regard by many than any of his other films, while I regard it as the only slight misstep in his filmography. So yeah, definitely a good film, but not as amazing as people claim.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also think Howl is a good pick. It has a huge separate following and fan base, a lot more popular than some other Ghibli films. Sure it looks and sounds gorgeous, but I think it is one of Miyazakis worst. The story just doesn't quite hold. Everyone says the book is so much better in that regard. Pretty sure they are right.

Despite all that, I still rate it a 4-/5. So even at his worst Miyazaki is still pretty damn good :D
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
With the Bakemonogatari pick I thought of the Monigatari series as a whole. It is okay at best, but nowhere near good enough for the attention it got. It had only a few good arcs and episodes, rest was very boring and difficult to watch through.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
4 shared picks so far. I won't be surprised if all of my picks are shared lol.

Don't forget to PM your list for Interim Round 31
Also nominate your suggestions in the theme lottery.

We might have simultaneous countdowns in the future if you keep hosting this 'worst' lists :nod
 

Juviii

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
14,781
Gender
Female
Country
Portugal
Made in Abyss is a good pick. It was hyped like a masterpiece here and has a really high rank on Mal. It's a good anime but nowhere near a masterpiece.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
With the Bakemonogatari pick I thought of the Monigatari series as a whole. It is okay at best, but nowhere near good enough for the attention it got. It had only a few good arcs and episodes, rest was very boring and difficult to watch through.
In general, I tried to combine like-with-like, in this round.
I probably should have put Bakemonogatari under the title of 'Monogatari', but it didn't cross my mind...
:invalid

I've still not got around to watching Made in Abyss - I had it on my list since gnut (I think?!?) had posted a gif of the animation (it was pretty beautiful)
but aye [considering the hype], I'd not be surprised if it wasn't quite as good as people would have me believe...

All I remember from the Pokemans cartoon is the theme tune (it rocks harder than Attack on Titan) and the unbelievably harrowing Charmander death scene


Seeing as I have a little free time, before lunch

Here are some more picks


5 points



Bleach
FaustXIII


Dragon Ball
Hardy


Durarara
shinobi


Spice and Wolf
Brandish


The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
zimbardo


Tokyo Ghoul
Erinyes​
 
Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
You just bitched to me when I added it to the manga list =_= you deserve a new and worse nickname...
Because I keep hearing "DBZ sucks BUT DRAGONBALL THO" when in reality it has aged rather poorly too, for different reasons. It's way too slow except for the tournament arcs. It probably works better in a manga format but I admit I haven't read it.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Because I keep hearing "DBZ sucks BUT DRAGONBALL THO" when in reality it has aged rather poorly too, for different reasons. It's way too slow except for the tournament arcs. It probably works better in a manga format but I admit I haven't read it.
Yeah it's way better in the manga.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
In general, I tried to combine like-with-like, in this round.
I probably should have put Bakemonogatari under the title of 'Monogatari', but it didn't cross my mind...
:invalid
Ah no, was just explaining my pick. The 1st season isn‘t as bad as some others of Monogatari, but took it as my representative for the series on the list.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Too much filler doth make the sandwich somewhat difficult to swallow

How about something a little more digestible?


9 points



Berserk
Juviii


Elfen Lied
revo


Fullmetal Alchemist
Hardy


Rurouni Kenshin
shinobi


The Promised Neverland
Erinyes (1) + Gajeel (8)


Your Lie in April
Brandish (6) + FaustXIII (1) + Nii (2)​
 

Juviii

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
14,781
Gender
Female
Country
Portugal
@shinobi the gif for your nomination :teehee
 
Top