Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1076 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Even from 30 million and up it would be a nice numer for My Hero, it is the same manga figure as Reborn or Nanatsu

While for Black Clover the 20 million I think is the maximum aspirable.
Honestly, at this point I can't see it going past 15 million, unless it goes for a really longe time. For comparison, Black Clover hit 9 million with the release of volume 21 in July last year and hit 10 million with the release of volume 23 in January this year. It should hit 11 million with volume 26, but that's a considerable gap between volumes and it just shows Black Clover's downwards trend.

TheRealTravisty

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I always knew Mashle could do it. That’s my boy!

So lately, something about Bone Collection has been bothering me. Now that Tamura has returned to the magazine, I think I’ve realized what it is.

Bone Collection is ugly. Without hesitation I’d say it’s the ugliest manga in the magazine right now. I hope the artist improves. There’s nothing wrong with having a different art style but not only does Bone Collection feel mediocre, but the character designs and art just feel so poor...

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How many copies did Yozakura and Undead sell this month?

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Honestly, at this point I can't see it going past 15 million, unless it goes for a really longe time. For comparison, Black Clover hit 9 million with the release of volume 21 in July last year and hit 10 million with the release of volume 23 in January this year. It should hit 11 million with volume 26, but that's a considerable gap between volumes and it just shows Black Clover's downwards trend.
Ouch, in this volume we will see if the anime postponement affected the sales?

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
It depends on how long the manga will last of course.

If, for example, it will last another 2-3 years, it could perhaps reach 20 million.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Ouch, in this volume we will see if the anime postponement affected the sales?
If the sales decrease, it still won't make it certain that the anime's break had an influence, unless we see an increase in sales with volume 26.

It depends on how long the manga will last of course.

If, for example, it will last another 2-3 years, it could perhaps reach 20 million.
It hasn't even managed to add 2 million in circulation after an entire year. There's no way it can hit 20 million in that short amount of time.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
A thought just occurred to me: do you think if BC just ended after the Demon arc, it would’ve gotten more sales than we have right now, at a slightly higher number? One of the reasons why KNY blew up the way it did is because the series was about to end. And BC had less volume count at that point.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
A thought just occurred to me: do you think if BC just ended after the Demon arc, it would’ve gotten more sales than we have right now, at a slightly higher number? One of the reasons why KNY blew up the way it did is because the series was about to end. And BC had less volume count at that point.
Probably not. Black Clover was already decreasing in sales when the Reincarnation Arc finished.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is a complete headcanon lol, who exactly is to say KNY blew up like that because it was ending? There is literally no proof of it whatsoever.

Also, BC won't reach 20mln by the end, not even if it runs for another 5 or 6 years at this point. And MHA's peak was never anywhere near high enough to allow it to get close to 100mln without running for an insane amount of time.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
If it is true that My Hero increases by one million for each volume, experience that will probably reach 40 volumes could very well reach 40k copies in the end.

Also, BC won't reach 20mln by the end, not even if it runs for another 5 or 6 years at this point
But wasn't it supposed to last another 15 years? XD

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
This is a complete headcanon lol, who exactly is to say KNY blew up like that because it was ending? There is literally no proof of it whatsoever.

Also, BC won't reach 20mln by the end, not even if it runs for another 5 or 6 years at this point. And MHA's peak was never anywhere near high enough to allow it to get close to 100mln without running for an insane amount of time.
He said one of the reasons not the only reason lol. Of course KnY blew up for many reasons and that's one of them.

I dunno, bc for some reason doesn't appeal to Japanese folks, I mean, it doesn't even have that many fan arts or something that it can tell you, this has an established fanbase. You can only say that to the western fandom who always bring amazing colorings of the manga every week

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I dunno, bc for some reason doesn't appeal to Japanese folks, I mean, it doesn't even have that many fan arts or something that it can tell you, this has an established fanbase. You can only say that to the western fandom who always bring amazing colorings of the manga every week
Honestly if it wasn't really liked by the Japanese, they probably would have axed it years ago.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The bizarre thing with MHA is how they don't include overseas despite doing so for other series like TPN. I'd understand if they weren't impressive figures but by all means they should be so I don't get this approach.

He said one of the reasons not the only reason lol. Of course KnY blew up for many reasons and that's one of them.
Semantics, the point is the same. We don't actually know the reasons KNY blew up and considering series don't normally get a particular boost when they're ending I don't see why this reason gets tossed around so much for KNY. Unless you have a significant sample size of people saying "I got into it because it was ending" it's just a complete headcanon that doesn't find much justification in reality; series don't normally sell more because they're ending.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I would leave Kimetsu alone, it is something never seen before.

To think that the Jump continues Black Clover because of its success abroad is laughable for me, evidently they think that the following it has at home is enough.

Of course though, if Masle ends up seeing more of him despite having the same story as a base, there will be laughter.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s a bit of a shame though. If this stays until the end, then I don’t think we’ll ever see it cracking the hallowed pantheon of the 100M club.... At best, it’ll reach 50-52M depending on how long it lasts. Which is a number most manga would kill to have, but underwhelming for a series of its stature.

If we want to add global sales, it should be at 32-37M right? I forgot what number Viz’s numbers were last year (I know Viz isn’t “global”, but at least it’s a good measuring stick given what little resources we have).
Viz did say that it has 5 million copies in print:

So MHA's worldwide numbers are at least 32 million.

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Honestly if it wasn't really liked by the Japanese, they probably would have axed it years ago.
But overall isnt the anime more profitable than the manga, and that's why the manga continues because it needs more content to adapt?

The bizarre thing with MHA is how they don't include overseas despite doing so for other series like TPN. I'd understand if they weren't impressive figures but by all means they should be so I don't get this approach.

Semantics, the point is the same. We don't actually know the reasons KNY blew up and considering series don't normally get a particular boost when they're ending I don't see why this reason gets tossed around so much for KNY. Unless you have a significant sample size of people saying "I got into it because it was ending" it's just a complete headcanon that doesn't find much justification in reality; series don't normally sell more because they're ending.
Fugg, now I'm aware that many ppl didn't even know it was ending, they just went with the flow and that's it.

Right, makes sense.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
But overall isnt the anime more profitable than the manga, and that's why the manga continues because it needs more content to adapt?
I don't know, has this ever happened before?

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Viz did say that it has 5 million copies in print:

So MHA's worldwide numbers are at least 32 million.
Considering the french numbers are supposedly around 2.5mln IIRC, the total is probably around 36mln WW (although we won't ever really know until they reveal them). The fact that they don't just use the worldwide number like they do for TPN instead of the japanese one is something that I find quite puzzling.

Bodoro

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I always knew Mashle could do it. That’s my boy!

So lately, something about Bone Collection has been bothering me. Now that Tamura has returned to the magazine, I think I’ve realized what it is.

Bone Collection is ugly. Without hesitation I’d say it’s the ugliest manga in the magazine right now. I hope the artist improves. There’s nothing wrong with having a different art style but not only does Bone Collection feel mediocre, but the character designs and art just feel so poor...
Same, it bothered me too. I'll be honest, I dropped Bone Collection because of the art. The manga is quite boring for me, and the art doesn't help it. Only good chapter for me was chapter 2 because of the brother but that is it. If the art ever gets better, I may pick it up again.

Azure Warrior

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless the art will magically improve over the years like Yumetamago did for Kinnikuman's run (Lets be honest, the art style pre-Dream Tag Tournament Arc did not age well), then I can't say Bone Collection's art style is enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.