American Politics | Page 306 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Thoughts on Biden being the democrats‘ nominee? If it happens.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I think it's pretty disappointing. I was really quite disappointed with Warren staying in the race despite her prospects being so abysmal that she placed third in her home state. The campaign had to know things weren't going well prior to that. I feel like Biden wouldn't have beaten Sanders in several states if she had rallied her supporters behind him. And now with her dropping out she's not even doing that, which is rather puzzling.

I don't dislike Biden personally, and I'll happily vote for him over Trump, but he represents far too much of the status quo, the exact thing that got Trump elected in the first place. Hard to be optimistic for things changing for the better in this country when the person you vote for is bought and paid for by corporations.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Warren ruined her campaign fairly early on unfortunately. Moved away from her progressive position, lost whatever enthusiasm she had going for her... Crackpot theory: She will endorse biden and soon enough she will be running as his VP. Biden has a lot of issues with younger voters in general and could seriously benefit from running with someone with at least some progressive credentials. Add to that, warren being fairly palatable to democrats at large, except billionaires... Of course, democrats could double down on repeating 2016 and select some other corporate hack to run with biden thus ensuring the only thing democrats run on is on removing trump from office and thus ensuring trump gets reelected.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Warren might bring more female voters to the table as a running mate, but I'm not sure what Biden's numbers with women are currently.

Warren's campaign had some unforced errors IMO. She acquiesced to the establishment and didn't run against Clinton in 2016, therefore giving up the progressive mantle to Sanders and I think his movement proved it wasn't going anywhere, especially due to how poorly Clinton's run went. Then you have the whole fake controversy between her and Sanders, and her supporters going out of their way to shit all over Bernie's campaign. It just looked like a corporate-backed hitjob to me, attacking a candidate not based on his platform but on the actions of some of his moron supporters. It also coincided with it becoming obvious she wasn't getting the sort of progressive support she was counting on either. Coincidentally (or not), her total evisceration of Bloomberg in the debate only served to help Biden as well.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Sigh... because you're making blanket statements and treating it like it's the norm when no evidence suggests this is the case. Thanks for worrying about my butt's feelings though.
No I'm not. You're the one who thinks I do. And evidence does suggest that there are plenty of dubious soldiers.
The video could do with some more random obnoxious blaring noises - I don't think there were quite enough

It really wouldn't be the first time that the USA would've elected a guy who speaks like they've recently woken up from a coma - if Biden does win the democratic race, any debates between him and Trump will be pure gold (assuming that the whole race doesn't take place over Twitter)
Right now on Twitter it's Bloomberg vs. Trump using Star Wars is amusing. What's sad is that long time ago I'd have been amazed at the stupidity and childishness of Trump, but now I'm whatever. It'd probably be hilarious to see Biden vs. Trump on Twitter... it's not like other countries can think any worse of us given Trump has destroyed our reputation.
Thoughts on Biden being the democrats‘ nominee? If it happens.
Shitty and horrible idea, as he's too moderate and likely to compromise with republicans, among other stuff.
Warren might bring more female voters to the table as a running mate, but I'm not sure what Biden's numbers with women are currently.
Warren doesn't need to be a running mate, many of her supporters are supporting Biden now because of how Bernie supporters have attacked them and Warren. It's sad and annoying and shows they were supporting her because she was a woman, not because of her policies, as Bernie's policies are closer to hers than Biden's. Though I suppose she could get even more supporters to join Biden if she did become his running mate or endorsed him, but the latter would make no sense at all unless she isn't as left as she claims to be.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Warren's campaign had some unforced errors IMO. She acquiesced to the establishment and didn't run against Clinton in 2016, therefore giving up the progressive mantle to Sanders and I think his movement proved it wasn't going anywhere, especially due to how poorly Clinton's run went. Then you have the whole fake controversy between her and Sanders, and her supporters going out of their way to shit all over Bernie's campaign. It just looked like a corporate-backed hitjob to me, attacking a candidate not based on his platform but on the actions of some of his moron supporters. It also coincided with it becoming obvious she wasn't getting the sort of progressive support she was counting on either. Coincidentally (or not), her total evisceration of Bloomberg in the debate only served to help Biden as well.
I haven't read anything about how well biden does with women so I suppose he probably does ok. He certainly has some behavior which is to be frowned upon (though mostly because the stuff he did stopped being acceptable). That would be another front where warren won't hurt at least.

I didn't watch the debates so I am not sure on what you mean about warren and it helping biden. Didn't warren poll a little better after debates?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I haven't read anything about how well biden does with women so I suppose he probably does ok. He certainly has some behavior which is to be frowned upon (though mostly because the stuff he did stopped being acceptable). That would be another front where warren won't hurt at least.

I didn't watch the debates so I am not sure on what you mean about warren and it helping biden. Didn't warren poll a little better after debates?
Warren did really well in the debates IMO, not sure if the latest ones had much effect on her polling though. Well, I'm saying Bloomberg basically allowed himself to be made a fool of and didn't come off well when confronted by Warren on a lot of things. She basically made it her mission (and rightfully so) to chew Bloomberg out wherever possible. And since he dropped out and endorsed Biden after, her performance ended up helping Biden more than it did her.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So... is bernie done for? The debate seemed like his last hope but it doesn't seem like it did him any favors.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Looks like it. Even Democrats hate making this country better.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, the DNC made sure of that when they insisted on still holding elections despite all the warnings about large crowds.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
does that have anything to do with the results? The elections shouldn't have been held at all, but I am not sure this specifically benefits biden.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Dunno, as many people who were scared to vote could have been a Bernie supporter.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
does that have anything to do with the results? The elections shouldn't have been held at all, but I am not sure this specifically benefits biden.
To me its bearing on the results is kind of irrelevant. The elections shouldn't be going on, regardless of who it would favor. Many states have already postponed them, even my state that originally wasn't happening until late April has been postponed to June.

It's conjecture, but somehow the cynic in me is saying that if Sanders was the one with momentum, every single primary election would have been postponed to June already.

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just to give you some foreign perspective, if Trump and Biden were German politicians instead, they would probably be in the same party (CDU).

The general consensus here is that the US has a terrible voting system that in the end comes down to not having much choice at all.

I personally also don't understand the general fear in the US of anything that is even slightly left. Honestly, by our standards, even Sanders would only qualify as moderately left.

However, true politically left positions are in a though spot here as well ever since the Social Democrats betrayed themselves under Chancellor Schröder.

What I actually do fear is that in 10 years from now, we will have a system similar to the US, were the only choice is between right-wing conservative and "anything not right-wing" progressive. The last elections for the European Parliament already headed in that direction.

The US election always gets a lot of media attention over here, much more than any of our direct neighbors' elections (maybe with the exception of France, but that was really just the last election). However no one can actually tell what your candidates represent, not even qualified political magazines, with Obama and now Sanders being mild exceptions simply because the American healthcare system alienates us, we think of it as inhuman and underdeveloped.

(this is to give you some foreign perspective, when you answer this, make sure you don't repeat someone else's reply as this thread is about US elections and not to compare countries)

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If Biden is the front runner instead of Bernie, he will get destroyed on that debate stage.

Everything from his terrible voting record to how much he lied on media. But hey, they want someone that is a "moderate" that can attract all Democrats and centrist Republicans. American politics is a joke.

Exactly why I'm a Marxist.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Old age could present an issue to biden on a debate against trump though I don't think trump has any substance advantage over biden. As in, sure, biden has a terrible voting record. And not having a voting record was a sort of advantage trump had (though I don't feel like he exploited it as much as he could have) before but now he has a presidency under his belt. A presidency which has accumulated investigations, indictments, prison sentences and perhaps most grievous of all trump's handling of covid19 which includes over a month of pretending it wasn't a threat which will in turn have an immense human cost.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Old age could present an issue to biden on a debate against trump though I don't think trump has any substance advantage over biden. As in, sure, biden has a terrible voting record. And not having a voting record was a sort of advantage trump had (though I don't feel like he exploited it as much as he could have) before but now he has a presidency under his belt. A presidency which has accumulated investigations, indictments, prison sentences and perhaps most grievous of all trump's handling of covid19 which includes over a month of pretending it wasn't a threat which will in turn have an immense human cost.
Old age shouldn't be an issue since they're all relatively around the same age. All in their mid 70's.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't think trump has any substance advantage over biden.
He doesn't have a substance advantage over anyone. One could even argue that for the people that fervently support him, it's better that he has no substance and speaks no real truths. Though that sort of thing is precisely the reason why the country is in the state it is now during this pandemic and will continue to be for quite some time.

I don't necessarily dislike Joe Biden, but he just isn't fit to serve anymore. Trump never was in the first place, but enough people like him for some reason so he gets by.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He doesn't have a substance advantage over anyone. One could even argue that for the people that fervently support him, it's better that he has no substance and speaks no real truths. Though that sort of thing is precisely the reason why the country is in the state it is now during this pandemic and will continue to be for quite some time.

I don't necessarily dislike Joe Biden, but he just isn't fit to serve anymore. Trump never was in the first place, but enough people like him for some reason so he gets by.
What's hilarious about Biden is that all the times he's ran prior to his tenure as VP, he didn't even receive 1% as a Democratic nominee. Credit Obama for his success right now.