American Politics | Page 471 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
As in, to get past someone stalling a bill you need 60 votes at which point you get to vote on a bill? I thought the senate generally required 60 votes to pass a bill. Except in cases where the nuclear option was used.
No, the majority of bills just require a simple majority, that's why Dems "control" the Senate, since Harris can break the 50-50 tie. It's also why Manchin and Sinema have pissed off a lot of people by not being in lockstep with Biden.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why is Sinema blocking Dems so much?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Like Manchin she's a Democrat in a Red/Purple state. When it comes to Manchin and what he supposedly stands for it's a bit more obvious, with Sinema not so much.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
No, the majority of bills just require a simple majority, that's why Dems "control" the Senate, since Harris can break the 50-50 tie. It's also why Manchin and Sinema have pissed off a lot of people by not being in lockstep with Biden.
Ah, I see. though I am still under the impression that a majority of bills requiring a simple majority is the result of the nuclear option being over the years. Gonna read up on that... Since it is the actual point of the senate to build consensus and whatnot.

That said, being clear on how the filibuster in this case operates... You need 60 votes just to end debate on a bill which in reality needs 50 votes to pass... I mean, that's obviously absurd right? No reasonable person can argue this is to further debate on anything, this is just an overtly corrupt excuse to give senators a pass on their votes for bills going on the record.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Ah, I see. though I am still under the impression that a majority of bills requiring a simple majority is the result of the nuclear option being over the years. Gonna read up on that... Since it is the actual point of the senate to build consensus and whatnot.

That said, being clear on how the filibuster in this case operates... You need 60 votes just to end debate on a bill which in reality needs 50 votes to pass... I mean, that's obviously absurd right? No reasonable person can argue this is to further debate on anything, this is just an overtly corrupt excuse to give senators a pass on their votes for bills going on the record.
Oh right, yeah. I think it might be more relevant now in more recent history. There's also the whole reconciliation process that ignores the need for 60 votes too iirc.

Yeah, I think it's the crux of the argument for ending it. Especially since filibustering can be written now and doesn't even require someone to be on the Senate floor. At least when southern Democrats were filibustering civil rights legislation back in the 60s they had enough conviction to camp out on the Senate floor.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Like Manchin she's a Democrat in a Red/Purple state. When it comes to Manchin and what he supposedly stands for it's a bit more obvious, with Sinema not so much.
seems like she's a Rep in disguise

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
seems like she's a Rep in disguise
Not sure what that even means. She at least had a progressive record at some point or another, but that hasn't really played out in the Senate. She claims to be "listening to Arizonans" in her decision making but she hasn't held a single townhall as a Senator. It's just a play to maintain office IMO. With Manchin you always knew he was a coal-stooge, who while in a similar situation doesn't even like being referred to as a "liberal". He's probably more of what you're talking about.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Not sure what that even means. She at least had a progressive record at some point or another, but that hasn't really played out in the Senate. She claims to be "listening to Arizonans" in her decision making but she hasn't held a single townhall as a Senator. It's just a play to maintain office IMO. With Manchin you always knew he was a coal-stooge, who while in a similar situation doesn't even like being referred to as a "liberal". He's probably more of what you're talking about.
She's a Republican pretending to be Democrat, similar to how BLoomberg changed from being a Republican to Democrat because he thought that'd help him? Or did he change from Dem to Rep before running as Dem again? I mean, could have pretended to be progressive?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
She's a Republican pretending to be Democrat, similar to how BLoomberg changed from being a Republican to Democrat because he thought that'd help him? Or did he change from Dem to Rep before running as Dem again? I mean, could have pretended to be progressive?
Bloomberg is a billionaire that could join the Satanist party and he'd still have support. It's not an honest comparison.

ninjabot

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

They want to limit the amount of places Georgians can vote in Lincoln County from 7 down to 1.

Anybody that doesn't think this is a clear attempt at voter suppression want to explain to me how? Georgia is a battleground state as well. Many places have eliminated Sunday voting as well, as the Black community often votes en masse with their churches. This is happening in Arizona, Florida, and Texas too.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
You're talking about the same kind of people who don't think the homeless should be allowed to vote either. So it's kind of par for the course.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Bloomberg is a billionaire that could join the Satanist party and he'd still have support. It's not an honest comparison.
I don't think he had as much support as he did after switching back to Dem.

They want to limit the amount of places Georgians can vote in Lincoln County from 7 down to 1.

Anybody that doesn't think this is a clear attempt at voter suppression want to explain to me how? Georgia is a battleground state as well. Many places have eliminated Sunday voting as well, as the Black community often votes en masse with their churches. This is happening in Arizona, Florida, and Texas too.

Literally why Republicans even had a chance in Georgia. Remarkable how they continue to get away with shit like this, despite all the claims of cancel culture being a thing.

ninjabot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watching Biden's conference right now. He's not really instilling any confidence in me. Especially when they asked him the question about how he's gonna change the minds of the black community that thinks he isn't doing enough to help us.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't think he had as much support as he did after switching back to Dem.
Well, yeah? He was an independent, so of course he didn't. Before that he was a Republican. My point is that political affiliation matters less when it comes to technocrat billionaires.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Watching Biden's conference right now. He's not really instilling any confidence in me. Especially when they asked him the question about how he's gonna change the minds of the black community that thinks he isn't doing enough to help us.
Reporter: What are you going to do to convince black people?
Biden: pppffffttt. What's their alternative? Vote republican? INDEPENDENT? *maniacal laughter*

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Well, yeah? He was an independent, so of course he didn't. Before that he was a Republican. My point is that political affiliation matters less when it comes to technocrat billionaires.
I legit did not expect him to have much support though, maybe 5% at most.

Reporter: What are you going to do to convince black people?
Biden: pppffffttt. What's their alternative? Vote republican? INDEPENDENT? *maniacal laughter*
After all, what do they have to lose? :derp

ninjabot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yeah? I bet he didn't infiltrate BLM or Antifa, the REAL terrorists

All jokes aside, I have to wonder how people who vote conservatively can hear stories like this and not just... stop to do some introspection and see why people like this gravitate toward their political ideology. I genuinely want to know what these people feel about voting for the same party that people like this vote for. I mean you could retort with "But Richard Spencer voted for Biden!", at which point I'd clarify it's a ploy. Spencer wants White Nationalism to be viewed as a friendly, intellectual form of White Supremacy unlike the KKK of old. Trump and the MAGA movement made his job harder; by making white supremacists a laughing stock.

And this part? I've heard of this before from co workers but didn't think it was particularly well known:

In the hate groups that he breached, Scott encountered credos that only cracked-out satirists could conceive. One night, he sat up drinking bourbon with a Klansman who laid out the dual-seed theory. In the Garden of Eden, it was Adam, Eve, and Abel, and Abel, born of Adam, sired the white race. Then came the snake with forbidden fruit — only, the “fruit” was Eve sleeping with the snake. The snake, being Satan, fathered Cain and the mud people, starting off with the Jews. Then, you got your Blacks, gays, commies, and Asians: They’re all the seed of Satan, too. Christians can kill them and it ain’t a sin to do so, since they’re hell spawn who don’t have souls.

Racists make it real easy for me to denounce Christianity lol.

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, just to be clear, some twisted individuals take something notably out of context as an extremist (laughably bad take) ideology, denounced by the majority without a second thought, and your instinct is to throw the baby out with the bathwater? Typical.

No one wants these types. Who cares how they vote? They aren't representative of the masses by far. They probably vote more R than D because of pragmatism (the folly of a third party never gaining steam and drawing away votes) and the fact that more minorities (for better or worse, dare I invoke the 'Democratic Plantation'...) vote D.

But it becomes politically convenient to extrapolate the rotten apples to the whole party.

I guess you're fine with that attitude towards the entire Democratic voters - because a small minority of extremists vote Democrat, ALL Democrats are extremists by extension.

Sounds legit.

Another meme-comment day.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh, and to add, I've seen more than enough comments to know that true Klansmen DON'T LIKE TRUMP.

Yes, yes, he's white. But his connections to Israel (as well as many 'dual-citizen' members of his cabinet and entourage - hello, Jared) is a big, big problem for them. He's also a sock-puppet for Big Pharma, hasn't done enough for the 'White Race' (TM), etc etc.

Hey! Something they have with the left and their hatred of Israel.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
They likely don't care because they're not affected or harmed, and it probably helps them too, IF they don't agree with the bigotry. Plus, willingness to ignore morals and other wrongdoing as long as they get what they want. I mean, I've read how some white supremacists followed some Indians around recording them and accused them of stealing jobs, when they could have better used that time to learn new skills and apply to jobs.

I mean, we saw it during Trump's election and throughout his presidency. People either supported him or were quiet because they didn't think his hateful rhetoric could affect them, then they or their loved ones got deported or something stemming from his bullshit.

Plus, I remember how so many conservatives chose to vote for a sexual offender just to piss off the libs, so there's that as well.