1. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. New Week, New Contest!
    Time for a drawing contest. The theme is Self Portrait. Showcase your artistic skills!

Voting has begun for the Brothers Avatar & Signature Set contest!
  4. The Waifu Wars 2017 have begun! Show us your love!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Info Claymore Alternative Translation and Clarification

Discussion in 'Claymore' started by Utsune, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Holy Britannian Empire
    *Be sure to check out the Translators' Academy subforum!*

As many of you may know, there are many Claymore scenes coupled with long and complicated explanations or certain expressions on which different translations may provide different perceptions. This thread is intended to provide more insightful alternatives to the 'mainstream' translations you may come across of, and hopefully clear up queries from some of the more important scenes in Claymore.

Feel free to ask for clarification in any scenes, especially the confusing ones, and/or provide any insights you may have (eg. Japanese speaker, Official tranlations.)

A personal recommendation, with whom you can get in touch here on MH:

[user]God Eye Galatea[/user] have been casually providing Chinese---> English spoilers on days the Chinese comes out earlier than the English. Chinese scans are usually reliable and GEG does the English flawless.

[user]gernot[/user] is our long-time Claymore translator here at MH. Highly picky about details just how you might like them. I personally find it an admirable skill to be able to translate accurately while retaining the original intended emotions.
    gernot's releases: http://mangahelpers.com/t/gernot/archives/translation/

[USER]waychanger[/USER] is mangastream's translator. Not so active on here to my belief but his work is highly credited. If you're ever lost with certain dialogues, do cross-reference his with gernot's, as this would usually provide you a fuller description of the panel in question.

This post will be updated as necessary.

Note: When counting page number, I count a double-page spread as two pages!

======================================================================
    ======================================================================

The Eight No.1s

Volume 03
    Page 13
    (Utsune: For some reason (I'm guessing that's the Viz translation) says "creature" instead of "monster." But 化物 literally means "monster." Minor point.)

Volume 05
    Page 11

Volume 09
    Page 26

Page 16

Volume 12
    Page 8

Volume 14
    Page 16

Volume 15
    Page 27

Volume 19

Volume 20
    Page 12
    "And then there was Cassandra..."
    (Discussion - No solid answer)

Volume 21

Page 9
    Page 15
    Page 16
    Page 23

Page 27

Volume 22
    Page 28

Page 17
    Page 29
    Utsune's note: Original phrase is "闘ってたでかいのを喰いつくしたみてーだから..."
    喰いつくした is the key phrase here. It means "ate up," "ate everything," "ate all." If you split up the components in the phrase, it's "eat" + "run out," so in the literal sense, everything of Roxanne is finished up, and gernot's "ate all" is the best choice of words.

Volume 23

Page 9, 10, 12
    Page 15
    Page 21

Volume 24

Volume 25

Page 25

Page 15
    (Utsune: Seemingly different translations, although I personally side with gernot's, the underlying message is ultimately the same IMO. The Chinese translation uses the same approach as waychanger.)

Page 27

Page 25
    Page 27

Page 9

Page 23
    Page 26
    Page 27
    Page 30

Page 5
    Page 7
    Page 27
    Page 29

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    rtin, Number A, SSJPabs and 4 others like this.
  2. number12michael

number12michael Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Canada
    Claymore Vol:21 Page 111 Translation

I bought Vol 21 and on page 111 when Roxanne meets Nedine(how its spelt) it says ... :"And in that fight Roxanne Ripped out her own right eye" but the online manga stream chapter says "and in that battle roxanne lost her right eye"

That is vastly different what is accurate ?

3. Bayuga

Bayuga Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Germany
    Re: Claymore Vol:21 Page 111 Translation

i have the german volume, and it is also translated with "and in that battle roxanne lost her right eye". i think, this is correct.

4. Goral

Goral Registered User

Poland

It probably says only that she lost her eye. Gernot's translation is very, very accurate. But VIZ version isn't far off either since it's been implied she might have done it to herself because she was copying her targets to extreme.

5. littleangel

littleangel Registered User

Jordan

This is actually quite interesting, because it adds much to Roxanne's personality making her more sick and insane!! But after all VIZ is what we have to use at the end, which in this point they made the character more interesting to me. Well done Yagi, Roxanne is a masterpiece (Except for her death).

SSJPabs likes this.
  6. number12michael

Canada

agreed and i think we may get extra about her death.

But so was it already implied that she lost the eye on her own accord

7. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire

I bought the Japanese one, the phrase is "ねこそぎ失った" (nekosogi ushinatta.) "ushinatta" simply means lost, and "nekosogi" means to be uprooted (as in uprooting a plant). Effectively means "thoroughly/completely/totally lost," but you can't tell whether it implies she did it herself or not :/

8. BleachFan2010

BleachFan2010 Registered User

United Kingdom

Very cool, it does make you wonder how Roxanne lost her right eye and somehow managed to avoid further injury. Becasue in the chapter where it explained this didnt it say that even Neideen was sceptical of how Roxanne lost her eye meaning that they didnt see it happen ?

Utsune and number12michael like this.
  9. Reikonyx

Reikonyx Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Winterfell
    Meaning of "Biki"?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched around and my Google-Fu came up empty handed. But could someone please explain what "Biki" means? Or how to interpret the "biki" bubbles in Claymore?

Thank you!!!

10. BleachFan2010

BleachFan2010 Registered User

United Kingdom
    Re: Meaning of "Biki"?

It's a sound effect used to indicate that a Claymore or Awakened is using their Yoki :)

number12michael and Reikonyx like this.
  11. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire

Welcome to the forum! :)
    Good question. Haha yes it has been asked before, but it's probably buried deep beneath piles and piles of posts somewhere by now.
    I don't know what 'biki' specifically refers to. But normally "bi" signifies high-pitched sounds, and "ki" is also some kind of screeching noise. So it could either be youki manifesting as a sound, or fleshy sounds which most likely come from their expanding muscles or something. I haven't watched the anime, but I would expect them to give a pretty good interpretation of the sound so you could check it out.

Reikonyx likes this.
  12. Reikonyx

Reikonyx Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Winterfell

Thank you! I started assuming this to be the case but could not confirm anywhere. I also just started catching up on claymore again, its been a few years since I read any. Thanks again!

BleachFan2010 likes this.
  13. lordoffantasy

lordoffantasy Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States

ACtually biki is a sound effect for theri flesh, muscles, and bones contorting. when they are accessing yoki their bodies are altering and shifting, muscles stretching and contorting, even bones altering shape.

Project Spirit likes this.
  14. littleangel

littleangel Registered User

Jordan

But to tell the truth.. we all knew that if she lost her eye, it was on purpose not like it just happened by mistake! So either if she took it out by her own hands or let the AB do the job, it wouldn't matter because she let it happen in both cases. But the one that she did it herself tells that she is not scared to hurt herself at all.. The one with AB at least tells she cant do stuff this extreme by herself but the one where she did it alone tells she is a coco to the bones.

number12michael likes this.
  15. number12michael

Canada

If she really did remove it herself, then like you said that shows she is willing to do extreme things and even "hurt" herself to get what she wants.
    thats why i think she let herself get eaten by Cassandra, maybe she is slowly absorbing her power/yoki?.

Could anyone get a translation for the line helen said "Ate all of the other one she was fighting" is that a good translation, why would we be told "All"

littleangel likes this.
  16. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire

I'm assuming it's the bit in Chapter 125? ^^;
    The original phrase is "闘ってたでかいのを喰いつくしたみてーだから..."
    喰いつくした is the key phrase here. It means "ate up," "ate everything," "ate all." If you split up the components in the phrase, it's "eat" + "run out," so in the literal sense, everything of Roxanne is finished up, and gernot's "ate all" is the best choice of words.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
    By the way guys, it would be nice if future requests could at least give the Chapter number (or Volume number, whichever works for you) so I can pinpoint the scene faster :whoo

littleangel and number12michael like this.
  17. number12michael

Canada

Thank you very much.
    And so sorry for not putting chapter number/page number.
    i will put it with all future requests.

Sorry to be bugging you so much.
    But could you tell me how good the translation is in Chapter 117- "Days of training where they would share the same pillow"-what is implied by "Shared the same pillow"?

Also in 117 "By this time Roxanne developed the ability to completely hide her yoki from a particular target" My english Vol says "Ability to completely hide her yoki "( it says nothing about being able to only hide it from "a particular target".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  18. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire

Don't be silly, you can't bug me :P

The first one:
    The Japanese phrase is 褥(しとね)を共にする, which is literally "to share a pillow/mattress/futon together." The typical usage mainly refers to sleeping together with a sexual connotation, but it's not commonly use (I think it sounds somewhat 'proper' and 'archaic.' A good analogy would be, it's very similar to how they say in the Bible "a man lies with a woman.")

Whether Yagi's intention behind the phrase is literal or figurative... that's up to you to decide :p I can't imagine them sleeping on the same bed though hahaa...... but knowing they are Claymores, it's possible I think.

The second one:
    The Japanese phrase is "...特定の者に対して 自身の妖気の完全消失という 特異な技..." The key phrase is "特定の者に対して," which means "against a specific person."

I find it strange the English Volume would miss out the phrase "from a particular target." It's as simple as it could be to add four words at the end. :oh

littleangel and number12michael like this.
  19. number12michael

Canada

Thank you very much!.

I always took it as they slept together sexually.

I have no idea why they left it out, seems rather important.

Could you by any chance translate there nicknames "Love and Hate" and "Dust Eater" how literal are they

I have also always wondered if the translation in Chapter 120 was correct Dae said " Its crazy to this those who had died could conveniently be revived as warriors", "They are completely different beings who merely borrowed their pre death appearance, destined to awaken"
    it kind of confused me lol

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  20. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire

Cassandra: 塵喰いのカサンドラ
    塵喰い = Dust-eater
    の = particle to indicate relationship
    カサンドラ = Cassandra

Roxanne: 愛憎のロクサーヌ
    愛憎 = Love and hate; Love-hate (eg. 愛憎関係 = love-hate relationship, 愛憎併存 = ambivalence [between love and hate]); Likes and dislikes
    の = particle to indicate relationship
    ロクサーヌ = Roxanne
    (Possibly emphasizes that she shows stronger love and stronger hate than average.)

Cassy's name is as literal as it can be. Roxanne's is also literal, but I have a feeling 愛憎 has a deeper and more implicit meaning rather than just standalone 愛憎 (see my two examples above.)

Daae: 元々一度死した者が都合よく戦士として蘇るなどありえないんだよ
    あいつらはただ覚醒を前提にした生前の姿を借りた別物だ

元々 = From the start
    一度死した者 = Those that have died once
    都合よく = Conveniently
    戦士として = As warriors
    蘇るなど = Be revived or the likes
    ありえないんだ = It is impossible

あいつらは = They are
    ただ = Merely
    覚醒を前提にした = On the premises of awakening (T/N: the feel is more 'proper' and 'scientific' rather than saying "destined to awake.")
    生前の姿 = Form/figure/appearance/shapre during lifetime
    借りた = Borrowed
    別物 = Different beings/things

Compared to your version, it's literally similar, except maybe for the "It's crazy/ It's impossible" and "Destined to/ On the premises of" parts.

Daae is saying, (1) It is impossible to revive anyone from the dead (2) and make them behave like normal warriors do.
    (1) They are completely different beings. (2) They only appear like they do when they are still alive. (3) But they are certain to awake.

I've tried to split up the sentences into key points ^^; not sure if it helped at all lol.

littleangel likes this.