Shounen Fire Force by ATSUSHI OKUBO

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Just caught up with this series like two days ago or so. It's true that the start is not the best, but it's one of those series that gets better the more you advance into the plot. The mystery surrounding everything is what made me continue reading it and I'm not disappointed at all. It certainly has things to improve like the excessive fanservice (*cough* Tamaki *cough*), but the characters' motivations and backstories are interesting enough. The plot twists are quite well done too, but what amazes me the most are the abilities the characters have, more specifically the explanations regarding those. The main themes for powers in this series are heat and fire, two concepts that at first sight don't seem to have much potential, but the way the author uses scientific explanations to make things like time stop and gravity be a seemingly "plausible" thing with these themes is very interesting and original, so I've gotta give him props for that.
I caught up with that series when i was at chapter 180 like when tried to rescued obi like i remember the anime was at episode 3 that time but i decided to read the manga before going to the anime because i knew they wouldn't do much of a justice.

Yeah the build is pretty good (far better than the stupid 7ds build up) also there is development and most characters are doing useful with some unfortunate exceptions like tamaki , lisa and some of the side characters that as i see now atsushi ohkubo is developing now like beni for example and a bit of huan li.

My only problem is the main villains are feeling under developed like especially the big baddies and they are just there to get their ass kicked by fire force and then other bad guys are getting introduced.
He needs to developed guys like haumea for example more.
This and the fact that he introduced too many characters where not everyone will get developed is possible one of few problems i can think off.
 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I caught up with that series when i was at chapter 180 like when tried to rescued obi like i remember the anime was at episode 3 that time but i decided to read the manga before going to the anime because i knew they wouldn't do much of a justice.

Yeah the build is pretty good (far better than the stupid 7ds build up) also there is development and most characters are doing useful with some unfortunate exceptions like tamaki , lisa and some of the side characters that as i see now atsushi ohkubo is developing now like beni for example and a bit of huan li.

My only problem is the main villains are feeling under developed like especially the big baddies and they are just there to get their ass kicked by fire force and then other bad guys are getting introduced.
He needs to developed guys like haumea for example more.
This and the fact that he introduced too many characters where not everyone will get developed is possible one of few problems i can think off.
Truth be told I caught up with this series months ago, like in chapter 200. It's just that I put it on hold, and a few days ago I caught up again until chapter 221. Like you say the antagonists feel underdeveloped for the most part. Their powers and abilities are cool and they definitely are interesting personality-wise, but they lack screentime, development and backstories. I feel like if we knew more about them, we would care more, at least for me. It feels like they're only there to be a stepping stone for the protagonists to evolve even further. Let's see if this can change. It definitely looks like we're near the endgame now, so if the author wants to drop bombs of information about them it's now or never.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Truth be told I caught up with this series months ago, like in chapter 200. It's just that I put it on hold, and a few days ago I caught up again until chapter 221. Like you say the antagonists feel underdeveloped for the most part. Their powers and abilities are cool and they definitely are interesting personality-wise, but they lack screentime, development and backstories. I feel like if we knew more about them, we would care more, at least for me. It feels like they're only there to be a stepping stone for the protagonists to evolve even further. Let's see if this can change. It definitely looks like we're near the endgame now, so if the author wants to drop bombs of information about them it's now or never.
Did you read this weeks chapters? Damn benimaru vs the doppelganger of his master begin is already lit :D

The thing is ff in my opinion has better action because you see the good guys fighting the bad guys but it is not like good guys are using 0,5% of their ulimited true potential and one shot or 2 shot an enemy using basic hits like normal punches or lvl 1 tier skills while claiming they hardly fought when in fact the enemies after getting super hyped got destroyed like it was nothing.
I cannot believe how nnt was more popular than ff maybe a lot of people stopped reading in the 1 volume or something because well the fights when good only when they went to the 1rst nether arc.
 
Last edited:

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Did you read this weeks chapters? Damn benimaru vs the doppelganger of his master begin is already lit :D

The thing is ff in my opinion has better action because you see the good guys fighting the bad guys but it is not like good guys are using 0,5% of their ulimited true potential and one shot or 2 shot an enemy using basic hits like normal punches or lvl 1 tier skills while claiming they hardly fought when in fact the enemies after getting super hyped got destroyed like it was nothing.
I cannot believe how nnt was more popular than ff maybe a lot of people stopped reading in the 1 volume or something because well the fights when good only when they went to the 1rst nether arc.
I've done it now. So far the fight looks good. Hopefully we can finally see Benimaru being pushed to his limit in this fight. It is something that I've been eager to see for a while now.

Well, I believe Fire Force and NNT are opposite poles in the sense that NNT started out as pretty promising but went downhill pretty fast after the first 150 chapters or so (especially beyond chapter 280), meanwhile Fire Force started out quite slow and improved with time. That's probably why NNT, in the end, was more popular if I had to say.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
I've done it now. So far the fight looks good. Hopefully we can finally see Benimaru being pushed to his limit in this fight. It is something that I've been eager to see for a while now.

Well, I believe Fire Force and NNT are opposite poles in the sense that NNT started out as pretty promising but went downhill pretty fast after the first 150 chapters or so (especially beyond chapter 280), meanwhile Fire Force started out quite slow and improved with time. That's probably why NNT, in the end, was more popular if I had to say.
My only complains about ff were: that the rest divisions only now they get spotlight and meaningful spotlight nevertheless because been in some place where the plot demands you and just staring or barely talk and do nothing of importance is kinda annoying.

It is a good think ohkubo started developed more guys like benimaru and the others but i get the feeling he introduced so many characters that i doubt if more than 1/5th of them will get some kind of screentime.
I am thinking maybe one of the reasons why was that i used google translation to ask him if he is gonna develop

At least the fights are ok like you don't see there is strugling you see the characters are not holding back maybe so far except benimaru also sho, maki, tamaki got some development i hope ohkubo won't forget obi and hinawa because they are definetely amongs my top 10 characters of ff.

I really like he got a different turn of even i think this direction in the plot where there will be the all out war will be a good chance to see more of every division not only in powers but we may see some personality fleshing out and i hope even a bit of development.

In general i think ohkuba definetely writes better than nakaba like if we compare the generic medival theme plot vs the whole fire fighters killing creatures and stuff i would say even as plots ohkubo's plot looked more promising.
 
Last edited:

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My only complains about ff were: that the rest divisions only now they get spotlight and meaningful spotlight nevertheless because been in some place where the plot demands you and just staring or barely talk and do nothing of importance is kinda annoying.

It is a good think ohkubo started developed more guys like benimaru and the others but i get the feeling he introduced so many characters that i doubt if more than 1/5th of them will get some kind of screentime.
I am thinking maybe one of the reasons why was that i used google translation to ask him if he is gonna develop

At least the fights are ok like you don't see there is strugling you see the characters are not holding back maybe so far except benimaru also sho, maki, tamaki got some development i hope ohkubo won't forget obi and hinawa because they are definetely amongs my top 10 characters of ff.

I really like he got a different turn of even i think this direction in the plot where there will be the all out war will be a good chance to see more of every division not only in powers but we may see some personality fleshing out and i hope even a bit of development.

In general i think ohkuba definetely writes better than nakaba like if we compare the generic medival theme plot vs the whole fire fighters killing creatures and stuff i would say even as plots ohkubo's plot looked more promising.
Yeah, it's true that some divisions have done little. The First, Fifth, Seventh and Eighth companies are the ones that have been more fleshed out. I don't remember much about the other companies, especially the Sixth and the Second ones, so Okubo should take this as an opportunity to give them more screentime.

One thing that I find interesting is that even though we're near the endgame, we still barely know something about the Evangelist. She hasn't even uttered a word. I'm expecting the villains to get a lot more of screentime and exploration, especially now since it looks like this is the final arc (it looks like he has already started this with Sho).

I still think that with the way Nakaba presented the story initially, it had a lot of potential (more than Fire Force's from my perspective) but it didn't end well. NNT was a lot of wasted potential if I had to say. In contrast, Fire Force's plot is pretty interesting in itself but has a slow start unlike NNT but gets better the more you read IMO (unlike NNT which gets worse the more you read overall). Overall, if Fire Force keeps the quality as it is now, I think it will end up being better than NNT (especially better than those last 60-80 chapters). The fights are good, the characters and their abilities are interesting but some of them could be fleshed out better, the tension and the plot twists too are well done for the most part.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Yeah, it's true that some divisions have done little. The First, Fifth, Seventh and Eighth companies are the ones that have been more fleshed out. I don't remember much about the other companies, especially the Sixth and the Second ones, so Okubo should take this as an opportunity to give them more screentime.

One thing that I find interesting is that even though we're near the endgame, we still barely know something about the Evangelist. She hasn't even uttered a word. I'm expecting the villains to get a lot more of screentime and exploration, especially now since it looks like this is the final arc (it looks like he has already started this with Sho).

I still think that with the way Nakaba presented the story initially, it had a lot of potential (more than Fire Force's from my perspective) but it didn't end well. NNT was a lot of wasted potential if I had to say. In contrast, Fire Force's plot is pretty interesting in itself but has a slow start unlike NNT but gets better the more you read IMO (unlike NNT which gets worse the more you read overall). Overall, if Fire Force keeps the quality as it is now, I think it will end up being better than NNT (especially better than those last 60-80 chapters). The fights are good, the characters and their abilities are interesting but some of them could be fleshed out better, the tension and the plot twists too are well done for the most part.
I think that's the different between ff and nnt
In nnt nakaba went out of ideas very quickly and at some point you could see like the brain washed plot twist 2-3 times then it became the obsession oh god!!!!
How many times he made people to get obsessed by something at least a good 4-5 times.

Like grey d hendrickson = brainwashed
Dreufys obssesed by fraudin

The margaret obsessed by rueodecel
Meliodas and zeldris obssesed by dk

Like all his arcs had at least a brainwashed person or an obsession that's is a clear sign the dude was out cold of decent ideas
Then he establishes one thing that laters one that thing is totally forgotten

At least ohkubo has better build up plot skills also no matter how much you try you will barely find plot incosistencies like if ohkubo establishes something
then he either follows the end without suddently to get memory problem and totally forgets what he introduced 5 or 10 chapters back.

The only problem of ohkubo was the slow start of the plot like if you go and check soul eater it ended in 113 chapterds i think so he was get used to a much faster plot so i think in like the fist 30-40 chapters he fell in the super slow trap of it.
The early fights are not that good not until you get to the 1rst nether arc we get decent fights.
Also another problem is he introduced to make characters and which the majority of them have asthetically cool designs but before developing them and showing them more he introduces more of them.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
In relation to the anime, where do you think is the stopping point of the second season?
 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
In relation to the anime, where do you think is the stopping point of the second season?
The first Season adapted 90 chapters more or less. Assuming this one will also last 24 episodes, it'll probably end around chapter 180-190. Honestly, ending it just after the Shinra vs Burns final match (but before the Holy Mother of Darkness twist) would be perfect IMO. I think there are more fights too in this Season, so I don't think it's far-fetched to say that they will adapt slightly more than 90 chapters and until that point.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
The first Season adapted 90 chapters more or less. Assuming this one will also last 24 episodes, it'll probably end around chapter 180-190. Honestly, ending it just after the Shinra vs Burns final match (but before the Holy Mother of Darkness twist) would be perfect IMO. I think there are more fights too in this Season, so I don't think it's far-fetched to say that they will adapt slightly more than 90 chapters and until that point.
You mean the obi rescue? oh god i hope not because this means the pace is gonna be super fast at some point and that obi rescue arc was pretty good to be rushed.
 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
You mean the obi rescue? oh god i hope not because this means the pace is gonna be super fast at some point and that obi rescue arc was pretty good to be rushed.
Yeah, the anime has always been pretty fast paced. If the pace is the same as the previous Season the anime is going to end between chapter 180-190, which is more or less on that Arc if I'm not missing anything. Hopefully they do a good job. Personally, I liked the previous adaptación so lets see how this one goes.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Yeah, the anime has always been pretty fast paced. If the pace is the same as the previous Season the anime is going to end between chapter 180-190, which is more or less on that Arc if I'm not missing anything. Hopefully they do a good job. Personally, I liked the previous adaptación so lets see how this one goes.
Yeah but that arc didn't ended at 180 if i remember well so are they gonna stop at half of that arc?
 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Yeah but that arc didn't ended at 180 if i remember well so are they gonna stop at half of that arc?
I don't think they're going to stop at half. Either they end It before that arc or they finish it just after. It makes little sense for them to stop at half of that arc after all.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
I don't think they're going to stop at half. Either they end It before that arc or they finish it just after. It makes little sense for them to stop at half of that arc after all.
I wanted to share some i finished yesterday it is a crossover fan art between soul-eater and fire force

I drew shinmon benimaru as the soul eater moon and hibachi as the soul eater sun that's why they look different

I also posted this on reddit as a floatingcloud so do not worry it is my art.

It seems like it is the 1rst crossover soul-eater- fire force art piece world wide (at least googled searched)

ps: any constructive critism is welcomed ofc

 

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I wanted to share some i finished yesterday it is a crossover fan art between soul-eater and fire force

I drew shinmon benimaru as the soul eater moon and hibachi as the soul eater sun that's why they look different

I also posted this on reddit as a floatingcloud so do not worry it is my art.

It seems like it is the 1rst crossover soul-eater- fire force art piece world wide (at least googled searched)

ps: any constructive critism is welcomed ofc

The fanart looks pretty cool but I'm a little bit lost since I haven't watched/read Soul Eater, haha, but I more or less get it.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
The fanart looks pretty cool but I'm a little bit lost since I haven't watched/read Soul Eater, haha, but I more or less get it.
Here is how both the soul eater sun and moon look



I had to change some features and add hibachi and benimaru's features while trying to not lose the soul eater elements and since they do not show full extent of their features and only a part of them the most visible change is the different nose and hibachi sun got his demon horns because i thought that would suit him more lol

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


New chapter is up boys and girls :D
Enen no shouboutai chapter 228

So what you guys have to say about chapter 228?

I liked it a lot especially beni really wants to take his master's approval lol
 
Last edited:

Shadowlord123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
5,149
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
New chapter is up boys and girls :D
Enen no shouboutai chapter 228

So what you guys have to say about chapter 228?

I liked it a lot especially beni really wants to take his master's approval lol
I, too, liked It. The choreography and the art were pretty good. Beni just keeps surprising me. To think he would be able to take attacks of this level without a scratch... What a monster, haha. I really liked his resolution on the last pages to kill his master too.
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
I, too, liked It. The choreography and the art were pretty good. Beni just keeps surprising me. To think he would be able to take attacks of this level without a scratch... What a monster, haha. I really liked his resolution on the last pages to kill his master too.
He didn't got any damage because he is also a 2nd and 3rd generation which means the red sun attack was literally manipulated before contact unless he used the same skill he used when he went to save the 8th division like 30 chapters ago that moon kind of attack.

Oh yes here take a meme i just made since in the fire force subforum of reddit i posted it seems i barely get any appreciation in what i do.

When i saw that panel with hibachi saying what's wrong boy i immendiatly got specks from baki lol so yeah why not? :D

 

MavisPurrillion

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 22, 2020
Messages
50
Reaction score
45
Country
Canada
Latest chapter! 229! Everyone: there all just goofing off... lol
Also tears from Konro! I was like oh baby don’t cry!
Your all idiots baby!!
 

LaserBeam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
1,984
Age
40
Country
Greece
Latest chapter! 229! Everyone: there all just goofing off... lol
Also tears from Konro! I was like oh baby don’t cry!
Your all idiots baby!!
I read the chapter while hearing to enter the atmosphere :D i must say i shred a manly tear for hibachi i think the dude was worth it. Seiya!Soiyia! seiya!! soyia!!!
 
Top