Shounen - Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

cearon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Btw there is a street game in Asia which is a kind of volley ball with only the foot. I don't know the name though
Well actually there are 3 games with similar origins. Jianzi more like foot badminton vietnamese origin (or i think it does....yes it is wikipedia confirmes it :)), Sipa of Philippines and Sepak takraw of Malaysia (saw it in thailand thou they said malay origin).

Estranho

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Btw there is a street game in Asia which is a kind of volley ball with only the foot. I don't know the name though
Here in Brazil we have a game called futevôlei or, in English, footvolley, which is mainly played in beachs in Rio.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Did anyone see the new color pages Oberon posted? Might be slightly spoilerish because the Edited Mangas haven't reached that part but damn, I absolutely love it.

Hq!!:

Feels like Furudate is improving artwise too, even though it's already on a pretty good level.

I'm loving this manga more and more, Azumane's move was really awesome. Here's were the character build between the matches kicks in, I felt so happy for him to finally break the Iron Wall that mericelessly crushed him last time.
Somehow Furudate is capable of giving every character a fair share of spotlight. I was really glad that he's not forgeting the substitute either. As much as I enjoy Kageyama I'm rooting for Sugawara too so I hope and am pretty sure he will get his time to shine too.

Ah without me noticing I've become a really big fan of the series, Jump finally got a new awesome sports manga :hee

Salce

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Kageyama is badass.

That ending! Finally Oikawa lost his smile.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Yes, kageyama at the end was awesome and he had the right to do it. Oikawa has some talent but because of that he is acting arrongant towards his own teammates and opponents. I would not be surprised if the next play will turn into another point for Karasuno. This match will show us all the skills Kageyama has as a setter

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I'm not sure about that. I have the impression that Oikawa is acting like that on purpose so as to annoy Kagayama. If the setter cannot keep his calm then it will have an effect on his performance.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Anybody else get the feeling they are going to lose to Aobajousai? I kinda feel like Furudate may have the senior lose their last tournament then have the team return triumphantly in the Spring tournament. Probably not, but it seems like a shame to have the Grand King lost as a villain before chapter 60. Though he is a third-year correct? That may destroy my theory right there lol

Reactions: Nii

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Anybody else get the feeling they are going to lose to Aobajousai? I kinda feel like Furudate may have the senior lose their last tournament then have the team return triumphantly in the Spring tournament. Probably not, but it seems like a shame to have the Grand King lost as a villain before chapter 60. Though he is a third-year correct? That may destroy my theory right there lol
I'm not sure either. While they probably could deal with Oikawa even though he seems to be an amazing setter, it looks like he totally figured out their trump card. To be honest, I didn't like him all that much but him analyzing Karasuno's match all night really impressed me. Usually it's all about "this guy is an amazing player" but here we have someone who, despite his great talent, has both the will and the brains to put a lot of effort into analyzing his opponents beforehand. Oikawa was nothing but your usual cliche "I haz amazing skills" opponent before but I have to hand it to Furudate again, his image really changed drastically over that one scene.

Back to topic, I believe it will be very hard. I could see them winning too but failing is far from being out of the question either. I'm happy though, that's the best thing we as a reader could wish for. Too often the outcome is way too predictable but here I could barely guess the outcome of the game.
So yeah, I really don't know. I feel like with Furudate we shouldn't rely too much on the usual shonen cliches and tropes, at least I feel that he, as an author, has the quality to do things you won't expect.

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really can't tell either, at this point (and I'm actually quite glad of it, too). I have a feeling that now that Oikawa has figured out their signals and the rest of Aobajousai can sufficiently protect against them, that Karasuno will have to make some new strategies and possibly bring in some of their sideline characters. Maybe it's just because of that part near the beginning of the match, where Furudate-sensei purposefully makes mention of Yamaguchi's progress with the float serve, but Yamaguchi just might get his chance to shine this time around. Suga, too. If I remember right, he and Asahi have played together so long that they might not even need signals. Hell, when one of the chapters had me looking up player positionings a while ago, I even found one where the team has two setters on the court at the same time.

Zeromcd

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Three additional pages were added for chapter 40 in the volume 5 release that were originally not inluded in the Weekly Shonen Jump verson of the chapter.

Also Hinata has a little sister in the Haikyuu!! novel.

Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I think that people are missing something here. Tsukishima scored a point and Kageyama complimented him, Hinata scored eyes opened a point even though they thought that he would act as a decoy, Tanaka scored a point...

Oikawa is very talented but he is arrogant and I think the difference lies within what's happening around the setter. Kageyama is at this moment the setter who has the reasons to become angry because nearly nothing works for him at this moment. Kageyama is keeping his cool because his teammates assured him that everything will turn out good.

Let's wait and see because I believe that Tanaka, Tsukihima, Hinata, Nishi, Asahi, Daichi,... are going to strengthen Kageyama's setter role. But when Oikawa('s team) is going to fail then he'll become angry and he'll fail. Oikawa is doomed to fall of his pedestal. He'll face Karasuno's true strength 'teamwork' and at that moment he will start to act like kageyama before he joined Karasuno. Who will give efforts to pick up oikawa's ball then

Last edited:

lynxian

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Spoilers abound, but I just had to share because it made me giddy:

In chapter 53, Kageyama's playing gets progressively worse, and everyone can see it (at one point, Yamaguchi says "Kageyama kinda doesn't seem like his usual self..."). Aobajousai's coach notes that Karasuno's attacks seem to be slowing down, and Oikawa thinks about how a setter is supposed to bring out each spiker's full power, which Kageyama isn't doing. And... ultimately, Kageyama is switched out for Suga.

Suga squeezes Kageyama's shoulder as they're passing each other to switch.
Suga: Don't get depressed. This is just to change the rhythm a bit.
Kageyama: Sorry.

On the sidelines, Hinata starts shouting at Kageyama.
Hinata: I already said that I'm definitely gonna be the one to defeat you!!! Until then, you're not allowed to lose to anybody else!!!
Kageyama: ...The match isn't over yet, so I haven't lost, either.

Yamaguchi dragging Hinata away by the armpits is amusing. XD
Ukai tells Kageyama to watch from the sidelines and pay careful attention to Suga's plays.

Issue #17 (chapter 54) will have center color.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
when Suga was displayed in a last panel, I had the impression that this could happen. I guess that is good for both of them. Suga can finally play and Kageyama will learn from this. Also Oikawa has never watched them with Suga as a setter so it may disturb him a little.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just caught up with Haikyuu!! again. Wow, what a round of chapters. Definitely enjoying this match so far. Art is excellent and the comedy feels better again. Buzzcut can be badass after all. (:
Three additional pages were added for chapter 40 in the volume 5 release that were originally not inluded in the Weekly Shonen Jump verson of the chapter.

Also Hinata has a little sister in the Haikyuu!! novel.
Is it possible to post them?

Zeromcd

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is it possible to post them?
Should be able to tomorrow :)

---------- Post added March 20, 2013 at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was March 19, 2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

Sorry, can't do it because I'm to stupid to figure out how to get pictures to my computer from my phone :(

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Suga looks so happy to play in this chapter that I can't help being a bit sad for him for all the matches he couldn't play.

lynxian

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally figured out a way to get my scanner to play nice with Windows 7, so here's scans of the extra pages from chapter 40:

Preliminary explanation before the chapter (translated, of course :P)

Page 6 (included because of the change in the bottom left panel)

Page 7

Page 8

Page... 17, I think? It's the one right after the double-page spread

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any little extra bit of the girls' team, even if its just a few panels, is enough to please me.

shukketsumaru

Reaction score
Country
United States
A producer from Fuji TV said a vollyeball manga is getting an anime adaptation. What do you suppose the odds are it's Haikyuu!! that's getting an anime? (Source:Animenewsnetwork)