Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I still need to read Berserk as well. :darn

xi0 actually just made a post in Drmke's ask-me thread about how the plot structure and some of the characters are very much like ones in Vinland Saga, which I'm reading and enjoying right now. So, my curiosity has been piqued recently. I'm thinking that I might actually give it a shot sometime soon after I'm done catching up with Vinland. :amuse

@bb-chan - in your opinion, should I try Vagabond or Berserk as my next long seinen series?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Vagabond ain't that long... compared to Berserk... compared to OP. haha.

Vagabond is much lighter than Berserk, so I think you should go for that one first. Then you can dwell on Berserk's darkness (for the first few arcs anyway).
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I still need to read Berserk as well. :darn

xi0 actually just made a post in Drmke's ask-me thread about how the plot structure and some of the characters are very much like ones in Vinland Saga, which I'm reading and enjoying right now. So, my curiosity has been piqued recently. I'm thinking that I might actually give it a shot sometime soon after I'm done catching up with Vinland. :amuse

@bb-chan - in your opinion, should I try Vagabond or Berserk as my next long seinen series?
The structure of The Golden Age in Berserk is pretty similar to Vinland Saga, but not Berserk as a whole. Berserk is much darker and more complex, and based much more around revenge and fate. Revenge is certainly there for Vinland Saga, but I think it's much deeper in Berserk, for obvious reasons, if you read it.
 

Faux-kun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Hi everyone. D8 nervous*

Anyway.. I Need some more manga to read. O__O Been reading Guardian Dog and Liar Game at the same time, but I need MOAR ]8

any recommendations then? :">

something with adventure, fantasy, psychological, horror with any of those combinations.

Thanks in advance. O__O
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
something with adventure, fantasy, psychological, horror with any of those combinations.
we were just talking about something like that. gary, I give you the honors. :noworry
 

Faux-kun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah, I checked Vagabond. Art was really awesome, but I'm not into the story. ^^;
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
well, something that should fit to a T what you're looking for:

adventure, fantasy, psychological, horror- would be Berserk. methinks. :p

Gantz isn't fantasy, it's sci-fi, but it's also quite like what you might be looking for.

if it's adventure, and total awesome-ness, then 20th Century Boys? I think you haven't read that as well? Needs a lot of mental effort to follow the story with a 5 dozen characters and time-jumps, but you won't regret it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
20th Century Boys is a classic, it's one of the more rewarding manga. Monster, an earlier work by the same mangaka is just as good, if not better. Psychological thrillers/mystery. If your looking for action, read something by Nihei: Blame!, Noise, Biomega, and Abara.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
something with adventure, fantasy, psychological, horror with any of those combinations.
If that's what you're looking for then the most obvious is Berserk if you haven't read it. It has all of those things like xi0 said. Its a very good and sometimes complex story but has a very infrequent release schedule so you may want to consider that as well.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
So I recently rewatched my favourite movie, Fight Club, and came to realize that I really need to read more adult stuff. Shounen is cool, but sometimes I need something a little more mature. Basically I want to read something along the lines of "transgressive fiction" (the same genre as Fight Club, and the book of the same that it was based on). Does anyone know of any series that fit that genre? I started reading Crime and Punishment, which seems to fit the genre, despite being an adaptation of the Russian novel of the same name which was written a century before said genre was named.

Here's the definition of "transgressive fiction":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgressive_fiction
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Vagabond ain't that long... compared to Berserk... compared to OP. haha.

Vagabond is much lighter than Berserk, so I think you should go for that one first. Then you can dwell on Berserk's darkness (for the first few arcs anyway).
I read berserk first and plan to read Vagabond soon, though I fear the Berserk-Shigurui combo I read might make Vagabond seem too flat and light in the end - that's two awesome, bloody, cruel and dark stories, one of them covering the samurai scenario already - Might be too much to still enjoy it :(
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
So I recently rewatched my favourite movie, Fight Club, and came to realize that I really need to read more adult stuff. Shounen is cool, but sometimes I need something a little more mature. Basically I want to read something along the lines of "transgressive fiction" (the same genre as Fight Club, and the book of the same that it was based on). Does anyone know of any series that fit that genre? I started reading Crime and Punishment, which seems to fit the genre, despite being an adaptation of the Russian novel of the same name which was written a century before said genre was named.

Here's the definition of "transgressive fiction":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgressive_fiction
Two series that come close to what you're looking for. Both imagine alternate realities where transgression is institutionalized, or tolerated, and the consequences.

Freesia: A bill is passed allowing revenge killings for serious crimes. If the victim, or victims family, do not want to carry out the killing themselves they can hire an agency to send professional killers. Kano, the main character is a killer for one of these agencies. The last few people I rec'ed this to were not happy with me, it can get very disturbing, especially early on.

Ultra Heaven: An alternate Japan where hallucinatory drugs are legal. Kabu, the main character, is a drug addict and minor peddler. After taking a drug called Ultra Heaven reality, dream, and hallucination begin to blend together. One of the best art series in my opinion. Very reminiscent of William Burroughs.


I read berserk first and plan to read Vagabond soon, though I fear the Berserk-Shigurui combo I read might make Vagabond seem too flat and light in the end - that's two awesome, bloody, cruel and dark stories, one of them covering the samurai scenario already - Might be too much to still enjoy it :(
Vagabond is pretty different, it's hard to compare to Berserk/Shigurui. It's more Buddhist; that the closer one comes to inner peace, the greater a warrior one becomes. It's a very philosophical manga, that happens to have some great sword fights.
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I've heard about Freesia, in fact I came close to reading it. I didn't for some reason, though I'll probably check it out now along with Ultra Heaven, of which I only heard of the name before. I'd also like to read Vagabond, but I'm saving it for actual purchases. I found out that there's a manga/comic store not too far, and I saw both Vagabond tankoubon and Viz Big editions. And as for Berserk, I watched the first anime series and purchased a volume, but I'm going to be watching the new anime series (which looks beautiful). Thanks for the recommendations Kaiten :).
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Vagabond is much lighter than Berserk, so I think you should go for that one first. Then you can dwell on Berserk's darkness (for the first few arcs anyway).
LOL I totally take this back. When I was rereading the chapters, the depth of vagabond ran my brain through a propeller and got stir-fried. haha the many different layers and interpretations of strength in buddhist lingo... the profoundness of the speech really fries my brain. :darn

It adds to the charm though. :p
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
One inherent quality that is unique in seinen is the mindf*ck twists that screw your head thirty times over. This you can't find in any other demographic. So mystery, contemporary, or conceptual manga are awesome for seinen. They are really unmatched. Like Doubt and Monster.
I just wanted to ask the names of the authors of these titles...though I think Monster is Urasawa Naoki's work
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Yeah, Monster is by Urasawa. Doubt is by Yoshiki Tonogai. Er... however, now that I've checked, Doubt was released in Monthly Shounen Gangan so it ought to be shounen. A very violent shounen @_@
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I will start Doubt then as well...and I was spot on with Monster...I knew it after I read the first few chapters...I finished volume 2, and by the time I will get back here, I will be over with it...it's that good...thanks for bringing it up in the first place:beer
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
hmm try Doubt...the shonen one by Tonogai yoshiki...its an awesome thriller... you will love every moment of it if you are thriller lover, i can guarantee .... catch is its very short.... but its a good thing because it it was like they stretch on without any materials like in most ongoings that we see... then it would be a complete waste of time
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I have a question guys.
Wolfen Crest... how much time between chapter releases? I want to know if it's a regular manga...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Young Champion is bi-weekly. No idea if Wolf Guy is caught up though.
 
Top