Discussion - One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread | Page 313 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions from a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

• For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story
  7. Law having CoC currently.
  8. Katakuri > Kaido/Luffy/Etc.

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Luffy was much weaker than anyone on Marineford. Is that the best Mihawk can do?

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Luffy was much weaker than anyone on Marineford. Is that the best Mihawk can do?
Cracker vs Luffy should paint you a better picture how a hand fares versus a sword. Cant use "much weaker" excuse now.

Shasha23

Banned
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Luffy was much weaker than anyone on Marineford.
Come again?
Luffy was by far stronger than majority of the people at the war

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Cracker vs Luffy should paint you a better picture how a hand fares versus a sword. Cant use "much weaker" excuse now.
I see, that's a very impressive feat from Mihawk.

Going by that logic, Luffy vs Arlong shows how Garp deals with swords.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Luffy breaks the sword?
Luffy never broke the Pretzel afaik, especially not with his hand. He made sure to keep them away from the sword after it was nearly cut off.

Aliocha

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Going by that logic, Luffy vs Arlong shows how Garp deals with swords.
Or Sabo vs Bastille

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

AmitDS

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I said that Roger fought people before he even thought about sailing to Raftel or becoming the Pirate King. When he was looking for a Poneglyph to get to Raftel, he found Big Mom's and avoided fighting her. Roger could be weak as hell, but if he managed to get away because he's good at escaping, then that'd be more important because he can avoid fights.

Luffy's statement is based on him wanting to fight the Emperors. It's a choice, not a necessity. Same with fighting the Marines. All three characters have no problem with fighting.

And yet, Whitebeard was never a Pirate King, the only one who was reached Raftel and so far, was said to not have fought Big Mom. But then again, you agree here, we just disagree on strength being a necessity as well. In Luffy's case though, I don't disagree as he plans to fight and likes to fight people.
All I know is that in the manga him being Pirate King is always met with people talking about strength, beating the emperors/admirals, being the strongest, conquering the seas, finding OP, having it all etc. so clearly it's not only about reaching Raftel even though it is actually impossible in verse to reach Raftel without ever fighting anyone.
Big Mom talks about beating the other emperors as something that would allow her to snatch the title of PK and WB who was known as the strongest was stated to be the one closest to the title, clearly showing that the Pirate King title entails power and isn't about navigational feats only.

If it wasn't about power then the emperors, supernova and shichibukai wouldn't be thought of to the the closest to OP. Everyone would have an equal chance. So based on all the manga info we have from the start to now, to be PK, one needs to reach Raftel after conquering the obstacles that stand in the way and Luffy will surpass Roger at least because he's uncovering the truth about the void century at the right time (to make a difference).

A weak pirate who finds raftel etc. would not be one who is free, conquered the seas or one who has fame, power, wealth etc. He'd basically be Usopp's version i.e. someone who took a shortcut and got to Raftel without putting in the work. This is why WB was the closest to being the PK, because his power equaled Roger's so he only needed to find Raftel, OP etc to claim the title for his own.

You're using Usopp saying that just finding Raftel by having Rayleigh give all the answers, would make Luffy PK as if it's a fact when Luffy similarly stated that defeating the emperors and admirals would be something he needs to do to be PK. So why is only Usopp right but everyone else (Luffy, Big Mom, Rayleigh, Chinjao etc.) wrong?

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Um correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Luffy literally say he'd surpass Roger? Lol

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks knows he can't stop WB but he is more than capable of stopping Kaido is the most likely to have happened
Not disagreeing but I always felt Kaido trying to stop whitebeard was like his own suicide mission... If whitebeard is dead, nobody can kill him..... farfteched, but would be true to his character.

t is not about few panels from Garp. It is about 0 panels from Garp showing how he deals with sharp weapons.
Yes, and that proves nothing... till you argue that blades > fists.....

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not disagreeing but I always felt Kaido trying to stop whitebeard was like his own suicide mission... If whitebeard is dead, nobody can kill him..... farfteched, but would be true to his character.

Wild theory Shanks had to ensure WB and Ace died so that Luffy had a clear path to the throne and Kaido saving WB would have ruined everything lol

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Wild theory Shanks had to ensure WB and Ace died so that Luffy had a clear path to the throne and Kaido saving WB would have ruined everything lol
That's a very weird theory considering Whitebeard had no aspiration to become Pirate King, and Shanks himself could have trained Luffy to fight Ace if need be. I can't see Shanks doing something like that though, he should know how Luffy would feel about stuff like that. Didn't Ace even say he wanted to see Luffy become Pirate King?

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a very weird theory considering Whitebeard had no aspiration to become Pirate King, and Shanks himself could have trained Luffy to fight Ace if need be. I can't see Shanks doing something like that though, he should know how Luffy would feel about stuff like that. Didn't Ace even say he wanted to see Luffy become Pirate King?
Let me dream my nonsense dreams yo.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
It proves everything. Not a single instance in 22 years explains how barehanded combatant will deal with a sword.
Yes, blade>fist was shown on panel, Luffy vs Cracker has spoon-fed it to all of us but some still question the superiority of the sword.

jaymizzo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It proves everything. Not a single instance in 22 years explains how barehanded combatant will deal with a sword.
Yes, blade>fist was shown on panel, Luffy vs Cracker has spoon-fed it to all of us but some still question the superiority of the sword.
I mean Cracker simply knicked Luffy while catching him off guard... He went on to lose with his sword superiority.

PS. A belly is stronger than a sword since Boundman>Swords.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I mean Cracker simply knicked Luffy while catching him off guard... He went on to lose with his sword superiority.
PS. A belly is stronger than a sword since Boundman>Swords.
In 11 hours, Luffy didnt do a single thing, he couldnt touch Cracker. That's how capable the fist was.
And yet, with nameless attack he cut almost halfway through his arm.
Imagine what a capable swordsman would do - collect Mugiwara's hands as trophies...

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
That's a hand vs a wrist

Here's hand vs sword, according to manga: