Games - The Final Fantasy Thread! | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The Final Fantasy Thread!

zypher

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Re: FF XII Thread: Talk Away!!!

I can understand that, allmost all of the original staff members did jump of the project.
but they are doing there best to make it a great game.

Venom65437

Doesn't matter much to me, this is no where near as good as it should be when you consider how long they worked on it...

bakashijinsan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i'd really have to agree with what GK and Venom are saying with FFXII. I have been playing this and I'm near the end but it seems that, I don;t want to continue anymore. You don't get the feeling that you want to finish it right away because you're at the edge of your seat being murdered because of the suspense. I'm not getting that right now as much as I did when I played the previous FF titles.

I'd say, story wise, it doesn't catch me that well. I'm more into the story than the game itself. Of course the gameplay is good but, you get tired of it after a while. I dunno....

hmmmm....

by far, FF tactics is the best for me with regards to the story. next is FF 7 then FF 6.

bakashijinsan

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
1) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game?
2) Favorite character?
3) Favorite villain?
4) Favorite summon?
5) Which game have you replayed the most?
6) What was the toughest challenge you ever had in a FF game?
7) What was your favorite clip in the games?
8) If you would like to see a sequel to any of the games, which would it be?
9) What side-game do you like the most?
10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be?
1) That would have to be FF Tactics
2) Squall Leonheart
3) Sephiroth
4) I dunno? Maybe Ifrit. Coz of the moves
5) That would be FF8. Since I made a character setup guide here
6) That would be completing the sphere grid to get 255 stats for all including LUK in FFX. next would be the lightning dodge thingy in FFX also. I think FFX has the most difficult side quests. especially the dark aeons. OMG!
7) That'd be Squall and Rinoa's ballroom dance
8) Surely FF Tactics. can't get enough of that! ^_^
9) That'd be the Chocobo side quest for FF IX. I just loved hunting those treasures! ^_^
10) Nah! I don't think I'd want to be with one. Oh well, maybe Rinoa

Venom65437

baka... you even got luck up to 255? You are a trooper.

And there is kind of a sequel to FF Tactics with Tactics Advance... I like it better than Tactics... probably cause the battles don't take an hour....

The Chocobo side quest in 9 was fun....

Venom65437

FF 12 is having a hard time competing with Zelda for my attention right now...

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Venom65437 said:
I did it too, it was kinda necessary in order to defeat the dark aeons, and even with max stats it still wasn't easy (especially the Magus sisters and Penance/DerRichter)

Venom65437 said:
And there is kind of a sequel to FF Tactics with Tactics Advance... I like it better than Tactics... probably cause the battles don't take an hour....
A good T-RPG is one where each battle takes one hour ! XD Ah, leveling Cloud from lvl 01 to lvl 99 in one battle, how great that was... And the story was one of the best there ever was in an FF too :amuse

ibra87

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

It's because you guys lack the feeling of competition... Just try seeing who can finish it sooner and that will make sure you guys try as hard as you can >_>

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

A lot of the globals here actually started and played FF XII at the same time here. Katy, Tammy, Axel, Jabbs, me, etc. I also talked with Venom also.

It was fun for about the first half of the game.

bakashijinsan

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Venom65437 said:
I wanted to see what effect it'd give me. with 255 LUK, I was able to inflict critical hit every attack and also dodge almost every enemy in the game except optional boss monsters.

this is in GameBoy right? I thought it was like an offshoot of Tactics, like it got the name but the story was nowhere near the original FF Tactics in PS1

The Chocobo side quest in 9 was fun....
Hell Yeah! I was so abrorbed with it that even though I dug out all the necessary items for the side quest, I leveled my Chocobo's beak to Level 99 ^_^. I guess it was the BGM that made me play and play this treasure hunting game.

Xophien said:
I did it too, it was kinda necessary in order to defeat the dark aeons, and even with max stats it still wasn't easy (especially the Magus sisters and Penance/DerRichter)
Lol! It really was one hell of a job since you got to kill that guy with a reflect spell casted on his but and everytime you attack him, he'll cast flare on himself.

I remember, I forgot to get the Sun Crest from where you fought lady Yunalesca so I went back there to get it after getting the airship. lo and behold. There was Dark Bahamut. he creamed me in one shot. The Hell!

Me: Damn you mechanical dragon you!
*pulls out Yuna*
*summon Yojimbo*
*pay all the money that I had*
*evil grin*

Zanmato!!!!

that's how I got the sun crest. Can't help it. I needed an Ultimate weapon earlier in the game and Caladbolg was one of the first few accessible ones.

A good T-RPG is one where each battle takes one hour ! XD Ah, leveling Cloud from lvl 01 to lvl 99 in one battle, how great that was... And the story was one of the best there ever was in an FF too :amuse
:wooot for FF Tactics! I just love these kind of themes. That's why, FFX also had that small tinge that I felt when I played FF tactics.

bakashijinsan

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

hey anyone used Genji gloves along with Masamune?

combo this with your strogest melee chracter (for me it was Basch) then constantly cast lure and reverse to this character of yours and with this you can just walk and not worry about anything anymore (except encountering a rare game monster)

my game's on hiatus at Pharos at Ridarona. I got bored while going up the tower. I wish there would be an arena like side area in FFXII with strong monsters. ~sigh~

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France
bakashijinsan said:
this is in GameBoy right? I thought it was like an offshoot of Tactics, like it got the name but the story was nowhere near the original FF Tactics in PS1
Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's about four regular kids that are thrown into the Ivalice world, so my guess is that it has more of a childish story than FFT (that had a pretty dark story... that Delita...)

bakashijinsan said:
Zanmato!!!!

that's how I got the sun crest. Can't help it. I needed an Ultimate weapon earlier in the game and Caladbolg was one of the first few accessible ones.
Unforgivable. Start FFX again and defeat him properly :p Actually I had the same problem while going back to Besaid and finding myself in battle with Dark Valefor... I could have used Yojimbo, but chose to get a game over and avoided Besaid for a while. Well, I had save just before, so that wasn't a problem. That's the key, save all the time, or else you'll be pwned by random Dark enemies that sometimes appear out of nowhere XD

bakashijinsan said:
:wooot for FF Tactics! I just love these kind of themes. That's why, FFX also had that small tinge that I felt when I played FF tactics.
Going against a major religion is always good material for a story :p

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States

I've lost interest in it >.> I just got tired of it, I suppose. And frustrated at the supreme lack of ethers and elixers >< I'm actually more interested in going back to Star Ocean and trying to beat it >.>

Venom65437

Star Ocean... those are fun games.

And I have a laundry list on what I really think of Final Fantasy XII so far, got a while? Good, here it comes. It's 100% spoiler free, so don't worry!

Ok, from everything I've heard about the length of this game, I'm more or less half way through, so I thought I'd give my review of it so far. Like the thread title says, no spoilers here, so read on!

Let me preface all this by saying I do LIKE the game, I DON'T love it. I think it has flaws, and my inflated expectations probably didn't help.

Know what else doesn't help it? This game is called Final Fantasy. It would seem a lot of people really love or hate this game from what I read on the internet. I think if this game wasn't called Final Fantasy it would get a lot more love. Or maybe a lot more hate, depending on your perspective. Either way, I have expectations for a Final Fantasy game that perhaps I don't have for other games, but when you're one of the biggest, most beloved, (and one of my personal favorite) video game franchises of all time, the bar is just set that much higher. Anyway, that's enough talk, onto the actual review!

Ok, characters. Outside of two of them, why the hell are they here? There have been virtually no character moments what so ever. You can sum up every character in the game in about 3 sentence max. Two have a real reason for what they are doing, and the others seem to be there because... well they have nothing better to do. Some of the GUEST characters seem to have a better reason to be there. Honestly, I couldn't care less about any of these people or what they're trying to do.

Story: I don't think it's that great. It starts off with a bang and seems really interesting... but then it's soooooo slow after that. The story itself never seems to move on with your characters present. (Except in a few places.) Most of the time when the story is moving on is a cut scene, far away from where you are with characters that you've only seen maybe once. The story is all about politics, which honestly doesn't interest me much. SO FAR there is no "save the world aspect at all..." it's just "take down the empire," which would be ok if they made the characters interesting.

Musically, you hardly even notice it's there, and when you do, it's not impressive. Every other FF game has at least a few memorable tracks, but not in this one, not even for boss battles. The music during a boss battle is a little better, but still. When I'm playing a game, the music adds a lot. Remember the boss music from FF 6? You knew you were fighting a big battle, and the music was very appropriate, you were pumped. Not in this game, like I said, you don't even notice it. Music is one of the things that was truly great about past FF games.

The battles in this game are only ok, IMO. I don't mind the free roaming, but I fail to see the point. This is just like every other FF battle system except the fights aren't random. If we're able to move around, we should be able to dodge attacks, or take out an opponents knee, or if we have a big ass gun, it should do a lot more damage 3 feet away... not the same as it does 40! Also, with this system you don't get a chance to see the designs of the bosses, because the camera is focused more on their feet. You can, of course, adjust it, but you'll probably be needing to enter commands at some point. Again, I don't mind having this system, but if we're going to have it, make it worth it. If future games will have the battle system just like this, I'd rather throw it all out and go back to the old battles.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Gambit system. I don't use much of it. You can set it up so all your characters practically play the battles for you, but I don't find that fun. Of course you can also enter in as many commands as you like. You have to play with it to see how you like it.

The world itself is HUGE. Easily the biggest world ever in a FF game, but honestly, a lot of the times I don't feel like traversing it a lot. In this game during the right conditions MEGA powerful enemies roam the areas... and if you run into one, chances are YOU ARE TOAST! So that's a downer, though you can always leave an area and re-enter until the conditions aren't there... most of the time. Also, enemies respawn way to quickly for my tastes. If I just spent the last 30-40 minutes wiping out the enemies in one area, I don't want to see them all back less than 5 minutes after I cleared them out, it's just annoying. There are a lot of nice looking areas in the game, but it can be hard to just take a look around sometimes.

One thing I really love/hate about this game is how you get money. I think it only makes sense that enemies aren't carrying around thousands of gil for no reason. In this game you have to sell things enemies drop... suck as their skin, or a claw, etc. HOWEVER, these things sell for so little, you never have ANY money whatsoever. Now, I'm not saying they have to sell for thousands and make the game to easy... but the items aren't worth anything, and a lot of things in this game are VERY expensive. You can go into town with 30,000 gil and literally buy almost nothing. So, good idea, but you HAVE to get more for your items... or enemies have to drop more stuff, it's ridiculous.

I like the hunts side quests... being able to fight powerful, optional monsters is a lot of fun, but most of them aren't worth it. You usually get some money (not a lot compared to the prices of things,) and some items. Sometimes you'll get a weapon that's helpful because you're strapped for cash, but honestly most of these are just for the fun of it, because you certainly don't get anything earth shattering.

Summons and Quickenings (think overdrives) are only ok as well. If you can keep a summon alive long enough (it's just the summon and the character who called it) they can be a big help... IF they last a while and pull off their super move. But they can get beat up pretty bad.... and then might not even use their super move. FF X had the best summon system far and away. Quickenings aren't bad if you can chain enough of them together, but if you can't they're pretty worthless. Oh the best part about these two things? They take ALL of your MP. While your MP will slowly regenerate while you move around (even in battle) if you use one of these moves you are really gambling that you WILL take the enemy down. I don't mind if they take all your MP, but with using all your MP you'd think these are desperation moves that will bring total chaos on your opponent and they really don't.

Well that's about all I have to say, I think. Finally, eh? :D If I think of something I forgot, I'll add it later.

Let me close by repeating, I don't HATE this game, but I don't LOVE it either. In terms of other Final Fantasies, it's in the middle of the pack for me, but probably closer to the bottom than to the top. It definitely has it's flaws, and it just isn't what I've come to expect from a Final Fantasy game. I admit I might be being a little too critical, but I would say that is more SqaureEnix fault. This game has been in the works and had a release date for years now. When you take this long to get a product out, it's only going to inflate expectations. There are some good ideas in this game that if expanded upon, would be great to have in future games. But I also think that Square would do well to go back and look at some of the things in past Final Fantasy games that worked well and incorporate them into Final Fantasy XIII. I hope they will, because this game has a lot of POTENTIAL, but a lot of it is never reached, and that's a shame. I REALLY WANT to feel like this is my favorite Final Fantasy ever, but it just isn't. This isn't a BAD game, but it certainly isn't what I expect from a Final Fantasy. I still suggest people buy it and play it... but for $50? Eh... that's up to you... if you can borrow someone else's for a few days, it will help you a lot.

I'll give it a 6/10. All in all not a BAD game by any means, but I think it falls far below what my usual expectations of a Final Fantasy game are.

bakashijinsan

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Xophien said:
Unforgivable. Start FFX again and defeat him properly :p Actually I had the same problem while going back to Besaid and finding myself in battle with Dark Valefor... I could have used Yojimbo, but chose to get a game over and avoided Besaid for a while. Well, I had save just before, so that wasn't a problem. That's the key, save all the time, or else you'll be pwned by random Dark enemies that sometimes appear out of nowhere XD
I'd pretty much wanted to also, but my game kind of had a problem whenever I try to start it. I think it has a bug wherein it hangs and then there's no way I'd be able to continue on.

Anyway, I'm not at all guilty that I killed Dark Bahamut that way because, it's part of the game, Yojimbo's Zanmato. But I really am thinking, what would have I done to kill Dark bahamut without Yojimbo?

hmmmm

Xophien said:
Going against a major religion is always good material for a story p
yup yup! that's why FFX also made me feel quite the same like FFT though religion isn't the one that's focused that much in FFX, but still... :party

bakashijinsan

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

LadyHatake said:
I've lost interest in it >.> I just got tired of it, I suppose. And frustrated at the supreme lack of ethers and elixers >< I'm actually more interested in going back to Star Ocean and trying to beat it >.>
actually, you can buy ethers at a secret shop in Nabria (the dungeon I forgot the name :p). That's before going to Archadia, even before the plains (OMG I keep on forgetting names!!)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Good review, Venom. Reflects exactly what I'm feeling about the game right now to a T. Thanks for saving me the trouble of listing my own thoughts as well.

Actually, I rather like the sidequests/hunts more than anything else in the game, and I don't mind exploring such a vast world. But to make it more worthwhile, they probably should have included a little more variety as far as sidequests or treasures.

zypher

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
bakashijinsan said:
Anyway, I'm not at all guilty that I killed Dark Bahamut that way because, it's part of the game, Yojimbo's Zanmato. But I really am thinking, what would have I done to kill Dark bahamut without Yojimbo?
well you could do as i did, i went hardcore on levling up my favchars and kicked his ass with my super aeons and über skills ^^

zypher

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I realy liked your "laundry list" Venom :amuse

And thanks for it is 100% spoiler free, this is a realy great job ^^

Venom65437

I'm touched you guys liked my review so much.