Kinda pointless to reply to this after so long, but I'll give it a shot. What are you talking about? Cloud is FAR from flat in AC. And what is with this bitch this, bitch that? Am I on 4chan? Ending up the same means what? The goals were different, because the premise was different. A plot is built around goals.
And yet, they are fucking terrible in regards to writing merits. Shocker, I know! I am shocked, utterly shocked that people like them and call them well written. Former? Subjective. Latter? Fucking objectively a pile of prolapsed sphincters, the lot of them. If that is character development to you, then no wonder we can trash in FF with every outing. No wonder. To you , apparently, anyone who shows depression are "bitches, emos who cut themselves" ... so open-minded, your views on human psyche, and very nice pointers for discussion, might I add.
Your entire notion of character development is made up and objectively wrong. What you think character development is, isn't character development, it's cherry picking and self-created perspective. Even if Cloud went around in a circle, he still came to a different conclusion as he overcame different hurdles and grew up in a different manner. If you can't see it, then no one can help you here.
Whined? Opinion. Opinions and more opinions ... that have NOTHING to do with how a character develops. Your personal grievances don't define character development. What real payout? What did you want exactly? Because, at this point, you just seem to be rambling.