The HisshouBuraiKen thread | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The HisshouBuraiKen thread

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I found japanese to be very very easy to pick up, but I have a knack for learning languages. It really depends on how passionate you are about learning - the more you want to, and the more you practice, the easier it is.

So hey, I have a paid project now! bludshock commissioned me to translate Our Hero Studies, the new comedy manga in weekly shounen jump. It's really funny, if you like stuff like GTO you'll like this too. Check it out! Chapter 2 is being cleaned/edited/typeset right now, and he's doing a great job of HQing it up and editing the SFX to be in english instead of just little side notes, which aren't nearly as fun :turtle

hiko

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you still doing that PayPal donations thing Hisshou? I completely bleedin forgot to wing some cash your way last time!

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I only asked (and only planned to ask) once, but if you wanted to and forgot, it would be appreciated. The house still needs plennnnnnnty of work :P Once it's all done I'll be taking some pictures & putting 'em on flickr or something.

::grumbles about painting::

hiko

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What email addy do I make the payment out to?

LotusBlade

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I never knew you worked/helped with DB, until I noticed your name in the Credits. Hows it like working with the DB Team?

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Working with timecop must be the shittiest job in the world.

Also, many <3s to you hissh.

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
im not sure if anyone asked this yet...so im gonna wing it....*cough*

Where did you learn japanese?
How long have you been studying the language?
Were you self-taught?
do you have any advice on learning?
What good colleges are out there to learn japanese...if you know any...?

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
ahahaha...

The DB people are ebil... very ebbbbbbbilllllll....

Another person who loves ketchup! XD Nice! I love spaghetti :P And I also love sweet+spicy+sour stuff XD ._. Although I'm not a fan of saltiness :P

But I hate you for hating animals :P only cockroaches and mosquitoes should be hated! I hate THEM O__________________O

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thread revival!

DB - Working with DB is not the horrible onslaught of cruel deception and racist rants that the trolls and special messages would have you believe. In general, pretty much everyone is cool to talk to and easy to work with. Not everyone on staff thinks it's all funny, either, but we all get our turn so it's only fair. The "Dear Bounto, We are very sorry, please come back" was mine, for example :tem

I must also admit to having the same sense of humor as timecop (to a point), so at least for me, it's no problem at all. The staff channel is not always for the faint of heart, thin of skin, or weak of butt, but I've had a good tenure there so far and I feel like I've helped make a difference in the quality and efficiency of Naruto and Bleach.

Of course, I'm just one link in the chain, and everyone else does a great job too. I may not see eye-to-eye on everything with everyone every time, but what're you gonna do?

Also, with the usual translator in the middle of moving to Japan, last week I did the ENTIRE translations for both Bleach and Naruto. I'm quite proud of how they came out :)

Animals - I only hate them when they're living under the same roof as me. If it's someone else's, I'm indifferent. But I've got about 5 excuses in reserve as to why my wife can't have a cat yet.

Japanese - Take college courses and don't say anything you've picked up from a manga or anime that's not "Konnichiwa" or "Itadakimasu".

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, but timecop often talks out of his ass. Especially when it comes to stuff where he has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. I had read a few logs where he's the center-piece of the convo and saw him once in #kickassanime , and jeez, he was pretty "special" let's just say. :p He really left a very bad impression.

I had talked with interactlii (sp) once before, cool guy.

And I like the DB YHBT stuff. I love trolling people and getting reactions out of them. It's a pure thrill.

Anyway, have a good one.

Amatersu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd just like to say first off that I love your translations becasue as you said in the first post of this thread, they sound very natural. Whenever I read a manga that has an awkward phrase in I just think "Doh! That just ruins the continuity and flow of the chapter/episode." Never happens with your stuff though.

I've got two or more questions, one that pertains to you and another one about a technical issue with the Dattebayo website.

First off, what prompted you to start learning Japanese? I've heard that it's easier to learn since there are like three different dialects or something along those lines. Also have you ever considered setting your Japanese to work within the Navy? How long have you been at the Navy?

And the dattebayo question is I can't connect to the website. Does this mean I was banned? Or is there a server move/check going on? Thanks for your time reading over these and thank you for providing excellent translations weekly!

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hi Hishy :)

Long time no talk!

Anyways, I would like to ask you what's your position on the said (cough) argument between DB and Filipinos.

As a Filipino myself, I find it impossible not to be offended. ._. Really, I tried not to be.

N'

Got that house already? Have you done anything with it already?! (Sorry if this question been asked before, I'm just too lazy to browse all 7 pages XD)

HikaruYami

Reaction score
Country
United States
WAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!! HisshouBuraiKen-sama, I just found your Luigi FAQ (from Melee) from 5 years ago randomly for the first time on GameFAQs! It's short, but pretty good!~anyway, just thought it was amusing, seeing your name on something on that site! I certainly have never seen you on the Brawl boards, anyway~

Oh yeah, and, please translate more YYH, Mr. Matt DelGiudice! The remaining fan community is desperate for the last translator of the series!

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: DB - Filipino thing. I don't really have a position. I didn't put the link up and I didn't know it was going up. I think it's so ridiculously racist and ignorant that it makes fun of itself, and there's no need for anyone to get worked up about it.

The problem with racial humor is that it's easy to fall into hypocrisy. I can't laugh at a black joke and then get offended at an Italian one without contradicting myself. In the case of that link, it's meant to be more of a "shock and offend" thing than a joke, I would just shake my head and move on if I were you.

GameFAQs - Haha, I always meant to go back and expand on that but I never got around to it...maybe if Luigi really rocks the house in Brawl I'll be inspired to do one for that game instead.

YYH - Eh...I love Yuusuke & co. but I've got so much to do nowadays...I wish someone would just be like, "I'm hiring you to do YYH here's your money, get it done in two months." I'd be down with that :D But it will probably get done eventually, before Viz, one way or the other XD

Last edited:

kleomarlo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello there. I just want you to know that I'm a great fan of your translations because it's so natural (I mean the flow of the conversations) and they are reader-friendly (if you know what I mean...).

Looking forward to more translations from you.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hisshou! :D
How deep has your thread sunk before it was revived from the depths? :D

Well, you probably got this question 100 times before, but i'm gonna ask it again:
When did you first translate a manga, and do you have any interest on American Comics (if you do, there's a link to it under my sig :D)

Thank you :D

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Happy Birthday!!!! :ossu

Do anything special? :D

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Happy Birthday Hissh-kun~!

Ever think you can do some SJG chapters? ;P

Just kidding, you're awesome. ;x

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt & GGpX - Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm 26. Didn't even realize it for a couple hours. I didn't do much, got a birthday dinner and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii, which so far is pretty fun. It's about time Wii got a good on-rails shooter. Also, I'm supposed to be getting a bike, so I can get a little exercise and not have to deal with the traffic to and from work (it's like 5 miles and sometimes it takes upwards of 20 minutes. Serious road rage often results.)

and GG - I feel bad man, I really left you hanging with SJG :( Looks like you got someone to do them though, so I guess it's all good? I swear if I ever have the time I will contact you. SJG deserves to see the light of day (maybe you should drop one of the other 50000 projects Illuminati does, that might help)

Gin - Ahunno, look back and check where the biggest gaps between replies are :P Probably a month or two back was the lowest it ever sank.

Last edited:

lordHokage

Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
I would like to say thank you for making this forum a huge success. Good reliable translators are hard to find, so keep up the good work. :)