Platforms The Nintendo Wii and DSi Thread

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
10,811
Reaction score
150
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Where did you say you lived again, Mr Miyamoto? :oh
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Does he have children ? We could kidnap them and finally force nintendo to take a good name like Revolution xD
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

You know, Nintendo has spent the better part of the internet age suing porn vendors for using names like "Zelda" to attract under age customers.

Makes you wonder if they'll start suwiing the owners of URLs wiith wii. I can see it now: "bigwii.com", "hardwii.com", "wiisuckers.com"... now you won't know if you're getting porn spam or Nintendo marketing when you find messages with subjects like "Moms now play with their kids' wiis!" in your inbox.[br]Posted at: April 27, 2006, 04:08:32 PM_________________________________________________
Khal said:
Where did you say you lived again, Mr Miyamoto? :oh
Kyoto.
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

hahaahahaahaa that was funny

bigwii.com xD

for me thats just wiitastic because wiitendos wii is the best wiideosystem ever xD

I think they should hire a oversee market specialist...he would have told them that wii may work in the japanese market but not in europe or america xD
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

destinator said:
Does he have children ? We could kidnap them and finally force nintendo to take a good name like Revolution xD
He does, but they're in their 20s already. They wouldn't be easy targets.

Ultimately, the name's so crazy it just might work. Who knows. Wii sure don't.
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

at least its a catchy name which nobody will forget once he heared it xD
 

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,988
Reaction score
54
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

wii are not impressed with the new name. wii shall laugh a long time because of this new name.
wii are now laughing. LOL
 

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

XD

This is the funniest...yet the sadest thing that I have heard all day.

People are going to have a field day with this one...there are already parodys all over YTMND, here are a few of them:

http://wiiwillrockyou.ytmnd.com/
http://addingtothewii.ytmnd.com/
http://wiiwiihaha.ytmnd.com/

....and there are tons more where those came from.

:darn

And on a more serious note here is the transcript from a press confrence with Nintendo: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Tamerlane said:
XD

This is the funniest...yet the sadest thing that I have heard all day.

People are going to have a field day with this one...there are already parodys all over YTMND, here are a few of them:

http://wiiwillrockyou.ytmnd.com/
http://addingtothewii.ytmnd.com/
http://wiiwiihaha.ytmnd.com/

....and there are tons more where those came from.

:darn

And on a more serious note here is the transcript from a press confrence with Nintendo: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm
Tamerlane...I'm curious as to how you, as a female gamer, would feel about purchasing a wii? I mean, going up to a store clerk and saying: "I'd like that wii over there. The blue one."

This'll probably be the first time in history store clerks will be under strict orders not engage in double entendre banter with customers.
 

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
561
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

rofl iwanin

Well and thanks for the transcript Tamerlane and I have to say that I cant wait for E3 this year...seems to get very interesting!
 

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Iwanin said:
Tamerlane...I'm curious as to how you, as a female gamer, would feel about purchasing a wii? I mean, going up to a store clerk and saying: "I'd like that wii over there. The blue one."
Ah I have already considered this dilemma.....instead of asking for a blue Wii I shall instead point and say, "I want that thing right there"

<_<

....or just make someone else buy it for me.....that works too.

>_>
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Tamerlane said:
Ah I have already considered this dilemma.....instead of asking for a blue Wii I shall instead point and say, "I want that thing right there"

<_<

....or just make someone else buy it for me.....that works too.

>_>
You'll be hard pressed to find a guy who's gonna resist the temptation to joke about how you once asked him for a wii.

My advice? Two words: shop online.
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

GI: (laughs) The name Wii makes me think of peeing! You said you have to hold the DS like a book for Brain Age, I hate to know how I’m supposed to hold the Wii controller.
that made me laugh :p

anyways... I dunno, I've been expecting a lot from the... Wii, so I'm fine with the name. They did make a point with the name Virgin, but then again when you shop it's not something you say "Can you hand me that virgin?, I want to buy a virgin..." See that would have made some conflict, but having it like virgin records, then you never really use that name. I still think that even when we do understand the wii and it is vairly regular in the stores, people will still chuckle at the name... especially when women, or older people go out to buy one. "Wii, or wii wii, there will be no such things in my house!" I can hear it now.

But with all things aside, the amount I've enjoyed the DS for it's originality and new ways to play games, I really think wii will be an amazing system. I'm tired of the same games... even if they do look much better, playing the same game only goes so far.... Having a game that is more interactive like what nintendo is planning, is right up the ally where I want to be. I want to have more "control" of the game, I want to swing a hockey stick, I want to cook fake food practice cooking where there is no danger of burning down the house :amuse. And other various games that I'm sure will be popping out. Games that we probably wouldn't have been able to play had it not be for this new machine.

I'm ready and excited :ossu
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

njt said:
that made me laugh :p

anyways... I dunno, I've been expecting a lot from the... Wii, so I'm fine with the name. They did make a point with the name Virgin, but then again when you shop it's not something you say "Can you hand me that virgin?, I want to buy a virgin..." See that would have made some conflict, but having it like virgin records, then you never really use that name. I still think that even when we do understand the wii and it is vairly regular in the stores, people will still chuckle at the name... especially when women, or older people go out to buy one. "Wii, or wii wii, there will be no such things in my house!" I can hear it now.

But with all things aside, the amount I've enjoyed the DS for it's originality and new ways to play games, I really think wii will be an amazing system. I'm tired of the same games... even if they do look much better, playing the same game only goes so far.... Having a game that is more interactive like what nintendo is planning, is right up the ally where I want to be. I want to have more "control" of the game, I want to swing a hockey stick, I want to cook fake food practice cooking where there is no danger of burning down the house  :amuse. And other various games that I'm sure will be popping out. Games that we probably wouldn't have been able to play had it not be for this new machine.

I'm ready and excited :ossu
I really couldn't care less about the name, personally. It's the games that matter. And as far as that, I *do* have one concern: how quickly my arm will tire.

I can play Metroid for three hours with my hands resting on the gamepad, but I'm not holding it like Samus is holding her cannon. I honestly don't know how the girl does it. Maybe it has something to do with her powersuit.

You can move the cursor on screen just as easily with a mouse, but you're not really moving your wrists when you do that.

So that's always been the big question mark for me, personally. It's one thing to play a game for ten, fifteen minutes, and another to play it for two, three hours. Can you imagine how your arms and wrists will feel at that point?

But the name "wii" has a lot of things going against it in English speaking countries.

1. It's a first person pronoun. Thus, when you say it, people will go "huh?"
2. When used as a noun, it means urine.
3. When used as an adjective, it means small.
4. At some point, you're going to have to say you wanna play with your wii, or that you want to show your friends how awesome your wii is. Mom's all over English speaking countries will wonder whether their child is openly talking about masturbation and just what kind of games he plays with his friends.
5. When you see the name in print, you won't know how to pronounce it. This is not necessarily good marketing. At least everybody knows how to pronounce virgin.
6. Nintendo's fanboys are now officially "wiiners."

The sexual/toilet connotations could put girls off from playing it, which is the opposite of what Nintendo wants.

Nintendo wants to emphasize the console's uniqueness, like it wants "wii" to become synonymous with the console and its interface. But the word "wii" already has various other meanings in English, to the point where I doubt it will really catch on. It's one thing for gamers and geeks in general to be talking about (how much they like/hate) it, and another for the mass market to be doing so.

Let's remember that ideas are only ever unique for so long. If the interface takes off, Sony and Microsoft will follow suit. At that point, the chances of the name being associated to the interface are slim.

So anyway... if it catches on in English speaking countries - the name, I mean - I'll be very much surprised. Then again, life's full of surprises. :tem
 

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
10,811
Reaction score
150
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

Iwanin said:
6. Nintendo's fanboys are now officially "wiiners."
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ( or, like the translator would say: "do not want" )
 

KTFS

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

:omg noooooo! Why did they do that? they where doing so good with the other name. I talking to my friend thats works at a game stop he simply told me "It's going to be the funnest month of his life when it comes out in the US." and he already told the workers there not to get carried away talking to the people buying it. The name is a dubble edge while it will work in Japan over here peoples minds are not going to be in the right place.
 

KaiserRyuujin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

The name eh, it is a minor thing. I was more looking forward to the name "Revolution" because that is more geared to what they are planning. Now, for me its the gameplay thats got me a bit...miffed. Im used to just a controller, not swinging my arms around like a git while playing a game.



Now when I saw this ^ I was almost hopefuly, but it was just for the older Nintendo games.

Anyway, I suppose we will see what else can be...done and hopefully modified for gameplay so dont have to be reduced to flailing your arms all over the place just to play a game. Also for those more...angry gamers where the game gives them quite a rage and they hit something well...they'll be buying alot of controllers I suppose because this thing looks easy to toss around. :P I'm gonna hope my brother can keep his cool if I get it. :S
 

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,988
Reaction score
54
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: W T F?!!! Nintendo "Wii"?!

ok at first i hated the new name, but after seeing a couple of the games that will come to it.... I DONT CARE ANYMORE!!!!
thats friggin awesome!!!! i love the swinging my hands thing, im sooooo gonna buy this when it comes out. im hoping for some kind of star wars game.
imagine a lightsaberbattle with that technology! FUN!
 

zypher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
241
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: New version of Nintendo DS

i have a ordinary DS and i should ahve known that it always comes a new version from nintendo that is so mutch cooler and mutch more ... nicer. i will go and buy one now. ^^
 

zypher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
241
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Awesome new DS stuff

hehehe soon you can switch out your cell phone for a Nintend DS ^^
 
Top