Games The Steam Thread

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,993
Reaction score
18,560
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Alien Isolation is surprisingly both spooky and good. I refuse to acknowledge its prequel, but for this one I recommend it for those who love horror-action games. It feels atmospheric, and I could say it gives the same vibe as its original film (the one which was made in 1970s)
I am not sure you could consider the other game(s) as prequels even if you wanted to... Sure it has an alien in it, but it is a completely different game, in a completely different setting, with a completely different focus.

Alien Isolation is not a run and gun game - if you are looking for an action game, I would not recommend it at all.

If you can spare a few hours it is an awesome game. Playing it in short bursts ruins the experience - and that is what this game is, it is all about the experience of trying to solve problems in a really hostile environment.
I also wouldn't recommend this game if you have not got a good pair of headphones. You need to darken the room and really get immersed in the game to get the most out of it.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I am not sure you could consider the other game(s) as prequels even if you wanted to... Sure it has an alien in it, but it is a completely different game, in a completely different setting, with a completely different focus.

Alien Isolation is not a run and gun game - if you are looking for an action game, I would not recommend it at all.

If you can spare a few hours it is an awesome game. Playing it in short bursts ruins the experience - and that is what this game is, it is all about the experience of trying to solve problems in a really hostile environment.
I also wouldn't recommend this game if you have not got a good pair of headphones. You need to darken the room and really get immersed in the game to get the most out of it.
Aye, but even if it didn't put the word "Alien" in its title, it's still an awful and messy game.

I didn't mean to describe it as an "action" game in the traditional sense.. in a way, it's more of a survival-horror game? It's pretty similar with Outlast, but at the same time I think Alien isn't really a mere survival game like Outlast is.

Honestly if you play Isolation in less than Hard mode - I personally believe - it'll somehow ruins the experience as well. The game should not have a difficulty level considering that the thrill is the most crucial aspect of the game.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Aye, but even if it didn't put the word "Alien" in its title, it's still an awful and messy game.

I didn't mean to describe it as an "action" game in the traditional sense.. in a way, it's more of a survival-horror game? It's pretty similar with Outlast, but at the same time I think Alien isn't really a mere survival game like Outlast is.

Honestly if you play Isolation in less than Hard mode - I personally believe - it'll somehow ruins the experience as well. The game should not have a difficulty level considering that the thrill is the most crucial aspect of the game.
What? Outlast has like 5 different difficulty levels. Not sure what you mean...
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
What? Outlast has like 5 different difficulty levels. Not sure what you mean...
Ha, I expected someone's going to call me out because of that :nunogasm

Hmm.. I meant to say that playing in Easy/Medium would not be much of a challenge thus somewhat ruining the experience. I mean, this game does not have exactly a captivating story or interesting gameplay; the only outstanding factor is the thrill of being chased by Alien. I don't think Isolation would give any satisfaction if you just want to speedrun the game by playing it in Easy mode.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, but that's the whole point of going into a game with accessibility in mind. Some devs don't give a crap, like From Software, for instance. But most are going to add difficulty levels.

I actually miss the 8-16bit days when you had a cartridge that you spent hours playing, only to want to throw it against the wall. It makes no sense, but I guess I'm a masochist in that way. Very few games are actually hardcore, and take pride in it.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,993
Reaction score
18,560
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I actually miss the 8-16bit days when you had a cartridge that you spent hours playing, only to want to throw it against the wall. It makes no sense, but I guess I'm a masochist in that way. Very few games are actually hardcore, and take pride in it.

or


I really don't want to consider the amount of time I wasted on those 2 alone...
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Reminds me of the Nes Terminator. We had a famicom, and one of the challenges was finishing the game before the AC-adaptor got too hot and auto-shut like it usually did after some hours. Took quite a looong time before it could be done fast enough. That last screen tho
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I think recent indie games like Rogue Legacy or Shovel Knight are pretty hardcore too. I love game like those to be honest, although it can be frustrating most of the times but the sense of accomplishment that you get when you're finishing it is really worth going through the frustration.

But I don't want to play this one:

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The fact is, they're "indie games" for a reason. I just meant difficulty in games in general. Those retro-type games were kinda made in response to what mainstream games became.
 
Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dLLBSyS4Gc

Lords of the Fallen's preview final boss. Yeah this one looks pretty promising, albeit I doubt it'll be a perfect DS clone. It is most likely I'll be getting the game on day one though, I'm so excited.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

By the way, Shadow of Mordor is kinda... okay, I guess? The gameplay is somewhat revolutionary with the Nemesis system, but the mission are kinda repetitive after several hours, and the story is bland.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dLLBSyS4Gc

Lords of the Fallen's preview final boss. Yeah this one looks pretty promising, albeit I doubt it'll be a perfect DS clone. It is most likely I'll be getting the game on day one though, I'm so excited.
Both Lords of the Fallen and Dark Souls have a realistic combat system, but Lords of the Fallen differentiates itself by not punishing the player for making mistakes
Why the fuck would you buy this? Being hardcore is like 90% of DS's appeal...
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Why the fuck would you buy this? Being hardcore is like 90% of DS's appeal...
I think that just mean it is less hardcore than DS but probably more difficult than most RPG games? I mean the developer admitted on the other day that it is difficult, but it's just not as difficult as Dark Souls. From what I've seen in the gameplay preview, it's not like God of War or anything, so I guess that the game is still appealing for me.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think that just mean it is less hardcore than DS but probably more difficult than most RPG games? I mean the developer admitted on the other day that it is difficult, but it's just not as difficult as Dark Souls. From what I've seen in the gameplay preview, it's not like God of War or anything, so I guess that the game is still appealing for me.
I don't know, I'd read some reviews, get some community consensus, play a demo if available. Not sure why something like that would be a instabuy for me.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I don't know, I'd read some reviews, get some community consensus, play a demo if available. Not sure why something like that would be a instabuy for me.
Yeah, but I don't want to miss the pre-order bonus :(

How should I put it.. I think the game would receive somewhere around 7-8, I've seen someone playing a demo version on the other day.. well it's not a masterpiece but it's good enough.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, but I don't want to miss the pre-order bonus :(

How should I put it.. I think the game would receive somewhere around 7-8, I've seen someone playing a demo version on the other day.. well it's not a masterpiece but it's good enough.
Which is?
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Lords of the Fallen turned out to be OK. Clunky and buggy, but a decent action RPG nonetheless.

New binding of isaac is awesome.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Lords of the Fallen turned out to be OK. Clunky and buggy, but a decent action RPG nonetheless.

New binding of isaac is awesome.
It isn't new, it's just a remake. Seriously, they're charging $10 more for the same game that's only 3 years old and doesn't even look that much better IMO.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
It isn't new, it's just a remake. Seriously, they're charging $10 more for the same game that's only 3 years old and doesn't even look that much better IMO.
Eh I wouldn't say it's merely a remake (although it is marketed as such). There are various new items, bosses, and features that were previously non-existent in the previous game, which is justifiable if they charge a new price for me personally. The looks are something that I'm not quite a fan of though, with pixelated animation and things like that, but it can be filtered fortunately.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Eh I wouldn't say it's merely a remake (although it is marketed as such). There are various new items, bosses, and features that were previously non-existent in the previous game, which is justifiable if they charge a new price for me personally. The looks are something that I'm not quite a fan of though, with pixelated animation and things like that, but it can be filtered fortunately.
It's still only $15 at release, which is decent. But at a glance, it really doesn't seem like much was improved.
 
Top