Games The Zelda Thread!

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Finally got the chance to play BotW yesterday and oh my what a gorgeous game this one is!
I must admit that it is radically different from the previous games while obviously keeping the formula we have seen in the past.
It's extremely funny exploring and finding new ingredients, places and who knows what else!
I'm about to leave to Great Plateau, but first I suppose I'll try to explore some more! :D
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,773
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Just finished Breath of the Wild (Story, haven't done all the trials and found all 900 koroks yet) and I have to say, not only is this the best Zelda I've played by far but it is also the best game I've ever played. I cannot describe just how beautiful the whole adventure has been, and I have to say it's quite the breathtaking experience from start to finish. It always felt special when I was playing it, and managed to make me feel various emotions throughout what happened in both the story and the gameplay itself. The graphics are lovely, the music is divine, the gameplay is exhilarating and the story is beautiful. I'd give BotW a 10/10 but that wouldn't do it enough justice imo, it's easily a 15 to 20 out of 10 for me, if that gets across just how much I love it.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Just found the final memory and had my first shot at Ganon. Gotta stock up better for my next go

I agree with Samuel. 15/10 and the best Zelda and one of the best games ever created imho.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Everyone here has already finished the game, while I'm probably the only one who's still at the beginning. LOL
I just can't help it, I want to explore every nook and cranny of the regions that I explore for the first time! :XD
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, I also finished the game good time ago. About 130 hours played, and must rate it 10/10. Only minuses were, that the story was a little weak and the fact that it kinda got too easy after a while, when you acquire better gear and items. At first Hyrule was such a ruthless land, but not for that long. Though in that also lies the beauty that was the Eventide Island.

So, what kinda hopes and expectations you have for the DLC?

The hard mode hopefully brings the challenge back, but not sure if there is any point, if there are no new rewards for playing. For the new story and dungeon coming the holiday season, I hope its post-Ganon, possibly even altering the main map a little to show the rebuilding of Hyrule. Maybe that a little too much to wish for, but the game and it's world is marvelous, that I could really see the game developing thorough a series of post-game DLC bits. I actually really wish, that the game would have something like 2-4 years of steady DLC development, it had so much potential to be even more than it already is.

Post-Ganon DLC content feel a bit much but,

The true ending seems to indicate to that direction. Maybe we'll get to re-meet the Zora and explore redesigned Vah Ruta, this time accompanied by Zelda herself :)
 

Pheromone

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2017
Messages
131
Reaction score
426
Country
Tartaros
Thoughts on Breath of the Wild, 110 hours in, 97 shrines, 140ish seeds, and main story completed:

Extremely impressed with the game design.

The extent of verticality and ability to climb any surface alone are fundamental changes how you think about approaching spaces and regions. Developers weren't hindered by having to constantly consider traversable terrain in designing the world, since every surface is already traversable. That allowed for a creation of a world with much more varied terrain and verticality than just about any other open-world game in the market. Fundamentally changes the nature of travel, and how you plan on approaching different places.

Breath of the Wild's physics engine contributes to this sense of free-roaming by connecting wildlife and the environment seamlessly into the adventure, without much immersion-breaking (save for the convenient poofs of dead animals into sliced meat and legs). Burning grass create updrafts you can use to get to higher elevation if your stamina is limited, for example. Shooting a fire arrow at a boar gives you cooked meat, which will slide down surfaces if they are too steep, and much, much more. Many of the games' puzzles utilize this extensive physics engine, and it feels completely natural and extremely well-integrated.

The story's structure is also extremely well-done, and contributes to the feeling of self-adventure. You alone decide when you are prepared to fight Ganon. The Divine Beasts are there to help you out and to give you a reason to care about the well-being of the world around you (Something that SS pitifully lacked).

I can go on, but there's a lot just between the points I've delineated that I haven't fully mentioned yet. There are hardly many other open-world games that manages to fit all of these together so well, to truly realize the freedom, seamlessness and interconnectivity of world design, physics, and story in such a package.

This game raises the standard of open-world game design to a whole new level. Having played plenty of others, I can never go back to them and feel as satisfied as when when I played Breath of the Wild. Where The Witcher 3 succeeds in creating a compelling narrative, Breath of the Wild succeeds just as much in creating a world worth exploring, worth getting lost for hours and hours in.

On a personal note, I'd also add that this game employs negative space extremely well. There are sections of grass that you can simply walk through for a bit all the while being able to truly take in the world around you, the nearby river, the forest or bridge nearby. The world is scenic from nearly every single viewpoint.

As a Zelda, the game leaves quite a bit to be desired. The game scraps the traditionally ornate and length dungeons for a myriad of physics puzzles in shrines, and the narrative is quite limited in scope. The direction and singular purpose of the game being made explicit is acceptable, what isn't acceptable is that most of the Champions' personalities are painfully limited, with not much to them.

I will 100% this game by completing all the shrines. Along the way to 120, I will find as many seeds as I can before I finally put the game down as a must-play. Will definitely revisit it from time to time, afterwards.

As of now, my list of best Zelda games are as follows:

1. A Link to the Past
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Majora's Mask
4. The Minish Cap
5. The Wind Waker

Maybe we'll get to re-meet the Zora and explore redesigned Vah Ruta, this time accompanied by Zelda herself
I'm worried that this might be the case. Sounds so lame, honestly.

I'd like something along the lines of an exploration segment of Hyrule 100 years prior, before Calamity Ganon's attack.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Nintendo will release Breath of the Wild: Explorer's Edition, which includes the game, a map, and a guide, on Black Friday.
 

MotifSky

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
5
Age
33
Country
United States
its so much more fun to play it on the n64, i tried it on a ram and it wasnt nearly as fun to play.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
Just finished the BotW DLC. Man, it delivered way more than I expected. Really enjoyable stuff, on a game that was already peak.
Funny to see how the original post says "The recently released Twilight Princess". Man time flies fast.

Anyways. I think my Top 3 Favorite Zelda games goes as follows:
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
After diddling around for 10+hours, I am prepared to take on my first DB.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, that looks promising. How rare to get a version of link with two games.... As far as BOTW things I would like to see improved....

Bosses... I need better bosses in a zelda game. Where everything else not breathtaking the bosses would absolutely ruin the game in BOTW. They were all pretty much the same and overall just not fun. The fight with calamity ganon is slightly more fun but ultimately lackluster as well. Specially the last stage where you fight the roid rage pig. It's hard to even get defeated at that point even in the master mode. I do admit I never could beat the game's 5 consecutive bosses in master mode though.

The other thing... dungeons. The game lacked dungeons. The divine beasts were of course stand-ins for dungeons but they were barely fun... The way you controlled them was the only thing that made them not awful.

As for the new game trailer... is that ganon? I figured ganon or whatever is left of him at that point would make a return in a future zelda game (the further you go into the future it seems like he becomes less a man and more a monster) but it being this soon seems just odd. Considering he was triforced into oblivion during BOTW. It seems like the trailer is hinting at a less bestial ganon this time around. unless this isn't ganon...
 

Seraph

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2017
Messages
3,373
Reaction score
9,907
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
A sequel to Breath of the Wild is being developed

It's funny,just a couple of days before they announced it i was talking to a friend of mine about how it would be cool for them to announce a new Zelda Title this year at the E3 and they actually went and did it!:zomg

I can't wait for this Sequel to be honest,i've been a fan of the Franchise since i was a Kid and each game has brought me the same amount of fun and entertainment. :tem
 
Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
So psyched! I loved BotW like crazy, and since the first playthorough I've thought that it really needs a direct sequel! First time I've thought that with a Zelda game.

The teaser is intriguing. They did mention in BotW that Calamity Ganon was released from digging too deep under Hyrule castle, so I presume that's where the teaser takes place. Love that they are doing a take on humanized Ganondorf. Looks like he might be a corrupted sheikah monk in this incarnation.

Bit dissapointed that it doesn't look like it is very Zora focused, as hinted at the end of BotW.

Looks like Ganon is draining energy of sorts from Link. Most likely that's the excuse for returning to "Level 1" as Link, but I really wish we would actually play as Zelda trying to save Link this time. They did say at one point, that in early production of BotW they considered a female player character, but the story went to different direction.

Another scrapped element I hope they bring in the sequel, is the Minish community. And more Rito - original Revali design was much cooler than what we eventually got.

I'd also love to see a living city, maybe Castle Town in re-building stage.

And fixes to the biggest flaws of BotW - a good storyline and more challenging dungeons. Proper dungeons.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They've said it's going to be a darker game, so I hope they follow the pattern from the 5th generation games and do something unique like what they did with Majora's Mask. Instead of just making another version of BoTW.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
If nintendo is going to go in a darker direction and also bring back ganondorf for the sequel (though that sounds like a plot hole) then I assume the gerudo will be extremely relevant through the game. I always also found it weird that the yiga clan was not too prominent during the story of BOTW. other than them pretending to be pokemon from random encounters... If ganondorf returns for BOTW then it makes sense both clans, who clearly have deep connections to ganondorf, will play central roles in either uniting with or resisting ganondorf. And if that plays out like that, we might even get a zelda game with a full scale war. So far most wars are mostly implied or mentioned in games. but realistically speaking the hero leading armies against hordes of monsters makes sense.
 
Top