Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Killing people off this early in the series, before characters have a chance to really establish themselves? In a series as lighthearted as Toriko? I doubt it, there's going to be some way of avoiding actual death, just like there was last time with Komatsu. Though I do hope that Shimabukuro doesn't make it a habit to have Coco see a death mark on someone, only for them to somehow survive. That would get rather stupid. Even if he does kill them off, which in itself would be stupid, it would be stupid to reduce your cast by one character every arc as a standard. I hope there's at least a twist to it this time. And then him not pulling this again for at least a few arcs would be nice.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

What a great chapter. Coco beated his opponent but he had luck the explosion, made by the GT Robot, happened. Otherwise he would have lost and be dead. The explanations, don't know what to say :XD anyway Staajyun is close to Coco I wonder what he'll do. My guess: I think he'll leave coco as he is and probably finish off the other GT
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

After reading the explanation of Coco's poisons I went all cross-eyed. Thassa no good

But I enjoyed the chapter. Looks like Coco is pretty fucked right now
 

Shurou

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
745
Reaction score
236
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

If Coco dies by Staajun's hands and realizes that the death mark was his....

That'd be a pretty sick twist. I mean that in the bad way.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

the voice comic's pretty awesome. more and more series should get this sorta thing.

pretty much everything was perfect.

also i doubt coco will die, he's too useful, and popular.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

the VOMIC is still the highlight of toriko for me now. voices add so much to it
 

DonLuke

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Y isn't anyone posting comments on toriko anymore??? we're scalating this manga for u!!! keep this Thread active xD
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

At the moment I just don't feel that which made Toriko a good read anymore.
I can't put that in words, but it goes into the direction of lightheartedness and adventure and that just doesn't fit with that "jewel meat arc", the part inside and around the mammoth so to say.

Apart from that I think it's rather weird to have 3 out of 4 heavenly kings gathering already. Thus a feeling that it might not have much room for development!? :s
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

It is weird for me because the previous fights were against wild creatures in the pursuit of food. Man vs Nature and all that. Seeing them go up against the evil guys in their robots (who all attack in the same boring way) is taking some of the excitement out of it.

I also was a fan of the part where they were having to deal with the puffer whales. It showed that being a gourmet in this series takes more than just gigantic muscles. We are moving away from that with the Jewel Meat battles
 

Cotek

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I don't see how you can say a series is moving away from something with a few chapters of battles. Especially considering the vast majority of the arc was them dealing with animals and other things.

I personally like that GT Robo aspect and the stuff revolving it. I won't mind as long as there continues to be variety (which does not mean only battles against animals.)

Either way I'm still enjoying the series as much as I did in the beginning (probably more so with varoius new developments.) What I'm looking forward to most is how Shimabukuro is going to develop the Bishouku-Kai and other aspects of the world. It'd be nice to see more marine creatures for one.
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

This arc is definitely a good arc. GT robots vs Bishouku-Kai was to be expected when the first GT robot was to be introduced in, iirc, the whale arc. I also like how the mangaka makes these fight short but hard (in the sense our bishouku-kai have to use a lot to defeat their opponents). I do look forward to staajyun vs toriko. Staajyun is definitely strong but I expect to see a toriko we haven't seen at this moment
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Oh we sure will. After all Rin is somehow in love with Toriko if I remember right, dunno about the other way round though. Thus her "death" (I don't think she will actually die, it would be pretty dumb to have the only female character with significant screen time killed, imo) should fuel Toriko even more than what we saw in the recent chapter.

And about the 'moving away', well it's nothing more than a personal feeling (at least for me) about where the series is supposed to go. The arc was good so far and the robots aren't the problem, they can always be upgraded or changed so that it still is interesting. The heavenly kings going all out though is a whole diffrent story :oh
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

And about the 'moving away', well it's nothing more than a personal feeling (at least for me) about where the series is supposed to go. The arc was good so far and the robots aren't the problem, they can always be upgraded or changed so that it still is interesting. The heavenly kings going all out though is a whole diffrent story :oh
If I understand you pretty well, you're aiming at Toriko's change of direction:
- the discovery of the monster world and its deliciousness for the menu -> changed into: the fight between the bishouku-kai and the gt-robots (how was their group called again) in their fight for ingredients each with their own belief about the food order
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I'd like to make a random prediction that Toriko is pretty fucked unless he starts eating the Jewel Meat that surrounds him. Komatsu has some food which could be used to heal, but I think that the fresh Jewel Meat of an adult Regal Mammoth has the potential to make it to his Full Course Menu.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

If I understand you pretty well, you're aiming at Toriko's change of direction:
- the discovery of the monster world and its deliciousness for the menu -> changed into: the fight between the bishouku-kai and the gt-robots (how was their group called again) in their fight for ingredients each with their own belief about the food order
I won't speak for Akainu, but what you just wrote, koenosaki, is a pretty good summary of MY issues with the last month or so of Toriko. I mean, I'm fine with there being a battle between the Bishoku-kai (I hate using Japanese for this. What does the term actually mean?) and the GT Robo's (do they have a group name yet?), but I think that Shimabukuro SHOULD place the primary emphasis on exploring the world and the variety of foods that it offered. The battle of ideologies over food is a nice motivation for exploring that world, but I think that the battle should be used as an excuse for the adventure of hunting ingredients, as it was in the Puffer Fish Whale arc, and in this arc until they got into the Regal Mammoth. If that focus shifts, I think that Toriko will lose a lot of what made it fun.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

The translation of Bishokukai is "Gourmet Food Association" which sounds so boring... So I went with Bishokukai, because otherwise it seems unclear that it's those specific guys.
GT Robo is just that. Stands for Gourmet Telexistence... They're owned/created by the Bishokukai.

I think they've kept the food things in plenty. Every chapter, almost, has some thing in the beginning talking about some technical thing. Like the big map saying what the parts of the mammoth were, or the history of the Jewel Meat and whatnot.
But this arc seems almost over, and was pretty good for the first "long" arc.

I'm gonna start working on re-translating the earlier chapters again and maybe I'll just scan in the volumes myself. Since the only one around is V1 and the quality in it is pretty bad anyway...
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Nice spread, Toriko. Heh

That was certainly a weird scene. Naked Toriko watching as his intimidation form eats an also-naked dead version of himself. It looks like he needs to eat the Jewel Meat right away or his gourmet cells will accelerate too much and destroy him

So Rin gave herself the scar I only noticed in this chapter? How creepy and uninteresting. Just like she was.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Wow. I think Rin is actually dead. I'm surprised that Shimabukuro was willing to kill someone off this fast. Sani's gonna have a fit... But I'm interested in what's going on with Toriko's Gourmet cells. It seems that dependding on what he eats right now, his abilities will shift. If he were to eat Jewel Meat in this state, his power would skyrocket. But that's just a guess, it will take until next week for us to get enough information to tell what's going on.
 
Top