Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Love the enthusiasm :franky
I'm just being realistic.
I personally think Shiibashi's new series will be one of the early cancellations. It just feels like it's way to soon for him to come up with a new good series able to last.
The romance and soccer series probably won't last long either in my opinion.
Stealth Symphony though I feel has a pretty decent chance at surviving based on the talent involved.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm just being realistic.
I personally think Shiibashi's new series will be one of the early cancellations. It just feels like it's way to soon for him to come up with a new good series able to last.
The romance and soccer series probably won't last long either in my opinion.
Stealth Symphony though I feel has a pretty decent chance at surviving based on the talent involved.
To be honest, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm not sure how a manga about a pawn shop would perform in the fast-paced environment of WSJ, not to mention how soon he's returned, which actually copies Kizuku Watanabe's period of inactivity exactly going from Grimm to Edison, fast forward one year. Also, just because a more competent mangaka has returned doesn't necessarily mean their new serial will be just a great as their last. Case and point: Yoshiyuki Nishi, from Muhyo and Roji's to Hachi. I really hope Shiibashi is well prepared.

If the history of romcom and soccer manga are any indication, I'd say the same thing too.

I wish I could get a background of Stealth Symphony, but there isn't much presence of the manga online.
 
Last edited:

Netorare

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2012
Messages
225
Reaction score
260
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
I'm excited for Stealth Symphony & the football manga
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,461
Reaction score
39,360
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To be honest, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm not sure how a manga about a pawn shop would perform in the fast-paced environment of WSJ, not to mention how soon he's returned, which actually copies Kizuku Watanabe's period of inactivity exactly going from Grimm to Edison, fast forward one year. Also, just because a more competent mangaka has returned doesn't necessarily mean their new serial will be just a great as their last. Case and point: Yoshiyuki Nishi, from Muhyo and Roji's to Hachi. I really hope Shiibashi is well prepared.
Your comparison is a bit inadequate, Kizuku Watanabe never had a popular manga and Shiibashi had much more success with Nuramago that Yoshiyuki with Muhyo, not to mention that Yoshiyuki already had a failure before Hachi
 

korshunxD

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
167
Reaction score
223
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
Shokugeki no Soma : 6 volumes : 2.400.000

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Surprised at the doubt for stealth symphony, its seems the most promising on talent alone. The one from the nura writer, hopefully they can tell a story that wont lose steam once it gets going unlike nura did.


Issue #11 Info
Center Colour: Toriko, Nisekoi, Shokugeki no Soma
Nisekois second colour since the anime has started, how many more in this period I wonder.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Issue 10 Bottom 5:
Iron Knight
Kochikame
Beelzebub
Hachi
Koi no Cupid

================================================

These are the list of authors for upcoming new series.

- Illegal Rare by Shiibashi Hiroshi (author of Nurarihyon no Mago)
- Ai Shoujo by Takayama Toshinori
- Stealth Symphony by Narita Ryougo (author of Durarara!!) and Amano Youichi (author of Akaboshi)
- Soccer manga by Shimoyama Kento and Date Tsunehiro
Excited to see the new series by Shiibashi Hiroshi. People might say that it is too early, but it can be a good idea and good ideas don't choose time to appear, we have to wait to say if it will be cancelled early or not.
Actually, IIRC they said that Shiibashi Hiroshi was working in a new project already past year when NuraMago is still on going. I don't know if it was true or not, but I remember something like that.
Besides Illegal Rare, I want to see Stealth Symphony, since it is the series with more hype, apparently.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,403
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Hiroshi shiibashi and Yoichi amano back!!:DI'm so happy for this


---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Koi no cupid(END)
 
Last edited:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So did Cupid finish this week or not?
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,403
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
On 2ch they say that the author in this number made his greetings
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Your comparison is a bit inadequate, Kizuku Watanabe never had a popular manga and Shiibashi had much more success with Nuramago that Yoshiyuki with Muhyo, not to mention that Yoshiyuki already had a failure before Hachi
Oh no, I'm strictly not comparing Shiibashi with Watanabe at all in terms of performance. It's just that there have been many authors who rush to get second serials, only to blow it up entirely. Granted, they've all been incompetent, so it'd be interesting to see how Shiibashi does.

I will admit Muhyo isn't a perfect comparison, but it's the best I could find. And anyways, it already outlived Psyren while still avoiding an anime adaptation, so I wouldn't say it's too incomparable. Also, whether an author's 2nd, 3rd or Xth series fails wasn't my point. It can happen over a long period of time is what I'm saying, even if the author had prestige.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think all those series look promising with many "famous" creators. guess 1 or 2 of them could stick around which would make any competition harder from then on.
 

neozero

RAW Provider
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
37
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I found this pretty interesting.

From Jump Live, they did the small program called Jigoku no Misawa no Manga Gyoukai no Koto Imaichi Mada Wakanain Desukedo. This program is basically about Jigoku no Misawa (author of Kakko Kawaii Sengen! (from Jump SQ.)) ask question to the Shounen Jump editor and Jump SQ. editors about the manga industry which Misawa still don't know about.

For its first episode, Misawa actually asked the question to the editors about the Shingeki no Kyojin incident which happened in Shounen Jump. I'm kind of surprised that the author has guts to ask this kind of question to the editors. Also, this part is actually released in online.


 
Last edited by a moderator:

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Nice video, that part with the drawing really made me laugh "Bring me Jump, not manga". I guess this could be interpreted as authors wanted to get serialized in Shueisha having to bring manuscript about very particular things at the expense of disregarding what they like and instead bring something that respect the standards and can maybe be popular. While I think it's sad, it's pretty understandable, after all manga is a business and editors want to publish something that will sell. That might also explain why manga with the label "Jump Comics" usually have higher tank sales compared to manga by Kodansha or Shogakukan.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's kind of exciting to see Narita serialize a manga. I wonder if this means Gatou will be next :p

Going from Yasuda to Amano is a pretty steep drop in artistic quality. Character design is almost guaranteed to be bland in comparison to Drrr. I suppose Yasuda is busy with his own, very good, long running shounen manga.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I actually really like Amano's art so can't wait to see how this turns out.

Pretty hyped.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, I agree honestly. Amano's art was always his strongest selling-point (well, maybe his only one, tbh).
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Hm? He's the main selling point for me, honestly...
Yeah well the thing is I LIKE his stories but I also HATE them at the same time. This is strictly my opinion but the work I read from him( especifically Durarara!!! and Baccano) leave to feel he writes this way: The characters are so twisted that it becomes endearing. A guy that fell in love with his attempted murderer, twins that practice a demented form of incest, etc. Still that's his novel work so I wont hold it against him.

Also I am Super excited for the return of Toriko. Gourmet World here we go!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top