Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Man, there are so many series that would flop hard if the publishers decided to believe on "public" buzz. A dozen of people asks for Jojo(!), but only a small part of them would buy the series even if they like it, so it would flop because the majority of the readers don't give a damn. XD
I hate it when the public asks for a title, but do not buy it.
In Brazil, people ask that JoJo and Gintama, but we know that a small part of the public will buy.
So much so that Panini is suffering because of Toriko.

Toriko in Brazil became a meme.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Gintama manga is dead in the west and always has been despite its massive anime popularity. Not really a good example.

I don't understand what your possible criteria for a popular manga without an anime would be. You must have some unrealistic standards like "the manga needs television commercial for it to be deemed popular here".
I have to agree here.

You people are being way too strict with the definition of popularity here. Manga is niche in the West anyway, Nothing can be that successful by your standards without anime. MHA and OPM have probably showed the greatest successes pre-anime that I can think of, and even then they werent massive. Yes Neverland isn’t massive, but its pretty big considering, and probably one of the biggest currently without an anime, If not it, what are you saying currently fits your idea of “popular”?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
There are actually sales statistics for manga print sales in the US, you can find them here:
https://animetics.net/us-manga-print-sales-statistics/
Numbers aren't high but it's something.
Top Shonen Jump Imprint Manga by Best-Selling Vol in 2016: - Most of the list weren't released in 2016
1. 48,769 - One Punch Man #1
2. 29,768 - Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring
3. 25,727 - Death Note: Black Edition #1
4. 20,062 - Assassination Classroom #1
5. 15,438 - My Hero Academia #1
6. 14,232 - Haikyuu!! #1
7. 13,877 - Blue Exorcist #1
8. 11,514 - Seraph of the End #1
9. 11,270 - Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal #8
10. 9,926 - One Piece Omnibus #1
More titles:
9,362 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1--Phantom Blood Vol. 1
7,144 - Dragon Ball Omnibus #1
6,803 - Hunter x Hunter #1
5,427 - Bleach #66
5,417 - Black Clover #1
5,411 - Shokugeki no Soma #1
4,645 - Twin Star Exorcists #1
4,619 - Nisekoi #1
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I have not been sticking with romance that much lately, I'm reading slice of life and some adventure/battle (not necessarily shounen) manga. However, I was always adept of a more pure kind of romance where girls are not viewed as a piece of meat, but as humans who have feelings. It is really hard to conciliate the two things so I prefer not reading ecchi anymore (I read in the past, but I'm stopping more and more, I matured so to speak).
Funny, given the Yuragi cast are more human and genuine than any character in Nisekoi.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
I feel sorry for Asta's VA. It's his first role and he will already need a new throat after 51 episodes of nonstop yelling.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Funny, given the Yuragi cast are more human and genuine than any character in Nisekoi.
Not true. Chisaki is the only human character in the main cast. :3c
what if Dungeon Meshi gets an anime and that airs the same season with it? you still think it will be the most popular show of that season?
Popular maybe amongst anime fans, but I don’t think it would be mainstream popular. When you look back at previous anime, a lot of them that were mainstream popular had wide mainstream appeal. The Big 3 are obvious. Tokyo Ghoul is a zombie-esque mystery action horror anime. Attack on Titan is essentially the Japanese Walking Dead. OPM was an action heavy well animated comedy with humor that worked universally. Erased is another example, although it wasn’t as mainstream popular.
Dungeon Meshi is just a bunch of goof balls dicking around in a dungeon eating monsters. i just can’t see it becoming mainstream popular like Neverland.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I feel sorry for Asta's VA. It's his first role and he will already need a new throat after 51 episodes of nonstop yelling.
as episode 2 shows, studio clown have no intention of faithfully adapting the manga so he might survive

Popular maybe amongst anime fans, but I don’t think it would be mainstream popular. When you look back at previous anime, a lot of them that were mainstream popular had wide mainstream appeal. The Big 3 are obvious. Tokyo Ghoul is a zombie-esque mystery action horror anime. Attack on Titan is essentially the Japanese Walking Dead. OPM was an action heavy well animated comedy with humor that worked universally. Erased is another example, although it wasn’t as mainstream popular.
Dungeon Meshi is just a bunch of goof balls dicking around in a dungeon eating monsters. i just can’t see it becoming mainstream popular like Neverland.
Dugeon Meshi is more popular than Neverland in Japan, even without an anime each volume moves 500k, that's like BnHA numbers
so Neverland will have a terrible time competing for the spotlight and getting a discussion space if they air in the same season
also, people could see Neverland as a AoT knockoff and its popularity won't become as big as people thought like what happened to Owari no Seraph
 
Last edited:

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
as episode 2 shows, studio clown have no intention of faithfully adapting the manga so he might survive


Dugeon Meshi is more popular than Neverland in Japan, even without an anime each volume moves 500k, that's like BnHA numbers
so Neverland will have a terrible time competing for the spotlight and getting a discussion space if they air in the same season
also, people could see Neverland as a AoT knockoff and its popularity won't become as big as people thought like what happened to Owari no Seraph
I mean, Shueisha is also part of this. They're one the producers of the show and these type of things are decided in the pre-production and planning of Black Clover.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
YES
It's good to know that it will have 51 episodes, I was looking forward to an anime long runner without being Dragon Ball Super or One Piece.
I hope it does not have too many fillers and they also adapt Black Clover's first Light Novel.
Yeah, I agree.
I think that this is for the best. The beginning of the manga is the weak part of it so with this quantity of episodes, we can see the better parts of the manga. With 13 episodes, it could be worse because it would end with the worse arc.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I think sales is the best way to look at it first, not just Reddit threads and YouTube discussions. Look at the top 5 bookscans from Sept 1st which idk if it's sales but I would figure it means something: MHA, Tokyo Ghoul, One Piece, AoT, and LoZ: Twilight Princess all are real popular over here. I'm skeptical about Neverland's long-term, not short-term, success in America cause after the escape it got dry to me so you wonder if westerners would get bored at the same point too. However whatever anime studio picks it up they really have to be careful. The coolest part of Neverland starting out was the mysterious and monotonous vibes you get just by looking at the pages. It feels creepy, but a good kind of creepy. They gotta kill this part.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think people are overststing gintamas popularity, i dont think most in the mainstream actually read or even watch it.

Promised neverland will probably be somewhat popular here- since series where people are trapped in a location and must break their barriers do get some mainstream appeal here (see owari no seraph as a still well selling manga and popular series here, kabaneri had some respectable popularity thanks to crunchyroll pushing hard- shingeki s1 etc)

Have non usa countries licensed promised neverland?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Dugeon Meshi is more popular than Neverland in Japan, even without an anime each volume moves 500k, that's like BnHA numbers
I know Dungeon Meshi is popular over there, I've seen the sales numbers. I was talking about popularity here in America.
so Neverland will have a terrible time competing for the spotlight and getting a discussion space if they air in the same season
also, people could see Neverland as a AoT knockoff and its popularity won't become as big as people thought like what happened to Owari no Seraph
I doubt that would happen with Neverland. The similarities are few, unlike Seraph (or Kabaneri). Really the only similarity it has is that there are monsters that eat humans, but even then it's rarely shown and isn't the focus of the story. The people making those claims would just be shit posters that might as well be ignored.
 

Lumilleon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
132
Age
34
Country
Galactic Empire
I think people are overststing gintamas popularity, i dont think most in the mainstream actually read or even watch it.

Promised neverland will probably be somewhat popular here- since series where people are trapped in a location and must break their barriers do get some mainstream appeal here (see owari no seraph as a still well selling manga and popular series here, kabaneri had some respectable popularity thanks to crunchyroll pushing hard- shingeki s1 etc)

Have non usa countries licensed promised neverland?
It was Gintama anime which is popular, the manga wasn't really big shot compared to anime.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know Dungeon Meshi is popular over there, I've seen the sales numbers. I was talking about popularity here in America.

I doubt that would happen with Neverland. The similarities are few, unlike Seraph (or Kabaneri). Really the only similarity it has is that there are monsters that eat humans, but even then it's rarely shown and isn't the focus of the story. The people making those claims would just be shit posters that might as well be ignored.
Odd I was sure Neverland wasnt the only series with farms of humans AND a wall surrounding the humans.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I mean, Shueisha is also part of this. They're one the producers of the show and these type of things are decided in the pre-production and planning of Black Clover.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah, I agree.
I think that this is for the best. The beginning of the manga is the weak part of it so with this quantity of episodes, we can see the better parts of the manga. With 13 episodes, it could be worse because it would end with the worse arc.
So you don´t want an expansion in form of anime-only content? Am I the onyl one who wants it? God, I thought you said that Black Clover is shallow and boring, because that´s what it is
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Gintama manga is dead in the west and always has been despite its massive anime popularity. Not really a good example.
Its a perfect example because it proves that series that are popular online does not translate to success in the west. Both the anime and the manga failed in the US.

You people are being way too strict with the definition of popularity here. Manga is niche in the West anyway, Nothing can be that successful by your standards without anime. MHA and OPM have probably showed the greatest successes pre-anime that I can think of, and even then they werent massive. Yes Neverland isn’t massive, but its pretty big considering, and probably one of the biggest currently without an anime, If not it, what are you saying currently fits your idea of “popular”?
I don't think we're being strict at all, you just can't say something is big in the US based on such vague pretense like traffic over actual sales since traffic can come from anywhere not just the US. Honestly that is true for the most part since most audiences will not discover something unless its animated, OPM is a rare exception where its transition from successful manga to successful anime was seamless because it was already big enough online that most of its fanbase were just waiting for it to be animated and of course we already know that Heroaca benefited from Naruto ending which drew people towards it hence why its anime was so highly anticipated. The biggest manga online without a anime adaptation is Tokyo Ghoul :Re (which just got announced last week), Tower of God, and Goblin Slayer and this is just going by how they rank on manga sites.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I mean, Shueisha is also part of this. They're one the producers of the show and these type of things are decided in the pre-production and planning of Black Clover.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah, I agree.
I think that this is for the best. The beginning of the manga is the weak part of it so with this quantity of episodes, we can see the better parts of the manga. With 13 episodes, it could be worse because it would end with the worse arc.
So you don´t want an expansion in form of anime-only content? Am I the onyl one who wants it? God, I thought you said that Black Clover is shallow and boring, because that´s what it is
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top