Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm quite certain that he's very aware that digital sales isn't even remotely as high as he claims it to be.
It is a fact that digital sales of print media has trumped physical sales, across the board. Magazines have shuttered or moved online, encyclopedias no longer exist physically, newspapers and other periodicals are barely surviving, comics would be dead without comixology and other services, popular manga are even being moved online (Nietzsche for example), and dozens of authors are finding success on jump+. Digital is very relative.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
It is a fact that digital sales of print media has trumped physical sales, across the board. Magazines have shuttered or moved online, encyclopedias no longer exist physically, newspapers and other periodicals are barely surviving, comics would be dead without comixology and other services, popular manga are even being moved online (Nietzsche for example), and dozens of authors are finding success on jump+. Digital is very relative.
How about posting numbers.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Viz is trolling no free manga yet :emocat
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I assume there's been no info on what time the new changes will happen yet? The magazine was usually out by now.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it'll maybe show up at 8pm GMT/12pm PT since that's new chapters are supposed to be out at that time on Sundays after the first couple weeks.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I seriously am thinking Chainsawman chapter 3 is in the top-5 of best Jump chapters of 2018 for me.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I assume there's been no info on what time the new changes will happen yet? The magazine was usually out by now.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it'll maybe show up at 8pm GMT/12pm PT since that's new chapters are supposed to be out at that time on Sundays after the first couple weeks.
From what I understand from a few staff it’s later in the day because it’s such a monumental implementation, across the site and apps all at once. Which seems fair.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
It is a fact that digital sales of print media has trumped physical sales, across the board. Magazines have shuttered or moved online, encyclopedias no longer exist physically, newspapers and other periodicals are barely surviving, comics would be dead without comixology and other services, popular manga are even being moved online (Nietzsche for example), and dozens of authors are finding success on jump+. Digital is very relative.
Dr. Stone is outselling BC, One Piece, MHA and every other series digitally and is the new king of WSJ digitally.
BC initial volumes sold 200k digitally but the remaining volumes sold less than 10k combined digitally.
Zumou is a pillar for WSJ digitally selling almost close to 500k.

The reflex response to the above statements would be "bullshit" because they dont line up with the numbers we have of physical sales.
But since this is digital and people seem to claim things randomly, I challenge you to prove me wrong on all the above with factual data and numbers.
If you can't, then you've got no case.

Also, I know you're smart enough to know to not use an industry generalized number for every series out there.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I believe Kimetsu no Yaiba sell more than One Piece if you count the digital sales.

So in the end, Kimetsu no Yaiba is the most popular manga in the magazine.
LMAOOO don't kill me
Also don't kid yourself we all know Hinomaru is more than OP, AoT, and BnHA combined if you account for digital sales.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Chainsaw man chapter 3 felt very weak to me, crotch humour aside not to much to talk about
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Last edited:

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm having a lot of fun with Chainsaw Man. Chapter 3 was surprisingly comfy and I'm really liking all the characters so far. I'll be rooting for its success.
 

FengarGB

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
63
Reaction score
43
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Chapter 3 of Chainsaw Man was good, Makima is the most intriguing character so far.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chapters are out on shonenjump.com
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The app definitely needs an updated design since the latest free chapters are still all on one single line that scrolls (at least on my device), and the 'new' issue from last week + the back issues are still at the top but I imagine they'll fix that eventually.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
The app definitely needs an updated design since the latest free chapters are still all on one single line that scrolls (at least on my device), and the 'new' issue from last week + the back issues are still at the top but I imagine they'll fix that eventually.
yeah they said there's a new app update that won't be required to read simulpubs but will for the backlog stuff so idk if they'll change how the new chapters work
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Did they forget to put Chainsawman in Jump app?
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Did they forget to put Chainsawman in Jump app?
there was a processing error.
Also the site seems down for me now :oh
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
the app update is out. I can only see Chainsaw Man via the backlog section. Pretty much everything I can think of is in there (including stuff like the Naruto novels). Doesn't seem like we got that Nisekoi bonus chapter though.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
Hell Warden Higuma was pretty good, I mean it was seriously formulaic but I found it entertaining. I kind of like following these series, even if they flop, so I'm glad Viz is going to be translating the whole thing.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
PC version doesnt let me load any of the previous chapters which is weird (green and unlocked), guess the website is wonky, but at least they updated their reader finally.

Was surprised Platinum End is there, guess its no longer a pay 1.99 per month series.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top