Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 413 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
Toriko didnt even reach 500k...It was close, like peaking at 480k or something.
Its first print peak was 550k something, which is what I meant.

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I def think a lot of the desire with Toriko by Shueisha was wanting to recreate what One Piece did and capture that same audience Dragon Ball did. The issue is that, well, Dragon Ball was over for more than 12 years at that point verses One Piece having just two, and the audience of manga had shifted a lot in that time. It's pretty telling IMO that far more battle manga seem to use Naruto and Bleach as inspirations over OP.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Oooo boi, this argument.

Look, lemme put it like this, One Piece's story and cast might be big, but you seem to mistake that for depth. Because, like Toriko, what One Piece has in scale it loses in terms of everything else, namely emotional connectivity and throughline. OP's cast have very little in the way of arcs or depths at this point, it's all large moving pieces.

I'm doing an essay elaborating on this so I won't go into too much depth (might share it here), but I think the simplest explanation for Kimetsu's rise is simply that people cannect to the characters. Tanjiro and his allies have a strong, fleshed and diverse set of personalities with backstories and emotional resonance that each make themselves easy to get attached . It's the same deal with MHA, BC, JJK and plenty of the other series which are popular today, they're all heavily slanted to the characters because that's what readers want.
LMAOOO

As people have mentioned already, the backstories in OP have much more depth than those in Kimetsu. If people weren't attached to OP characters as you say then the series wont be no where near as long as it is today. Its that simple.

Its painfully obvious at this point but you're reaching so hard to find flaws of OP simply because you have issues with a minority of the OP fanbase. A quick look at your twitter account says it all. Im going to go on a whim and say that one of the big reasons why you're happy of Kimetsu's success because you can rub it in to OP's fans. You should stop all of this its embarrassing...or at the very least keep this on your twitter & not here.

Like, there is a pretty obvious reason why Jump's current readership make up the minority of One Piece's.
Yeah man because the idea of OP being an ongoing series with 90+ volumes (& an ongoing anime with 900+ episodes) doesn't sound like an obvious reason...

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
I def think a lot of the desire with Toriko by Shueisha was wanting to recreate what One Piece did and capture that same audience Dragon Ball did. The issue is that, well, Dragon Ball was over for more than 12 years at that point verses One Piece having just two, and the audience of manga had shifted a lot in that time. It's pretty telling IMO that far more battle manga seem to use Naruto and Bleach as inspirations over OP.
To add some fuel to your Toriko claim, Shueisha pretty blatantly tried to replace Bleach with Toriko as one of the magazine's "Big Three", as we call it, from about 2010 onwards.

I wonder about this one because personally I think it might just be the fact that some of Jump's more successful battle manga are more based off of Naruto and Bleach because Naruto and Bleach ended, so Jump was more or less looking for battle manga similar to those to fill the void. One Piece is still running and is still selling a hell of a lot even after all this time, so Jump (or other Shueisha magazines) doesn't see a need to publish something like One Piece when they have, well, One Piece.

Reading Somethin'

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Honduras
Shueisha pretty blatantly tried to replace Bleach with Toriko as one of the magazine's "Big Three", as we call it, from about 2010 onwards.

I wonder about this one because personally I think it might just be the fact that some of Jump's more successful battle manga are more based off of Naruto and Bleach because Naruto and Bleach ended, so Jump was more or less looking for battle manga similar to those to fill the void. One Piece is still running and is still selling a hell of a lot even after all this time, so Jump (or other Shueisha magazines) doesn't see a need to publish something like One Piece when they have, well, One Piece.
The big 3 is a western term. The japanese refer to them as the main 3 pillars of the 2000's. Toriko was never a forced replacement for Bleach. Pillars come and go.
Bleach took HxH's place around the mid 2000's because hiatus makes the series less relevant to the magazine. Toriko took Bleach's place because Bleach sales were declining, but toriko was rising.

There were pillars before the "big 3" and there will be more pillars as series come and go.

Which successful battle manga are you two talking about though? The only battle manga that were hugely influenced by naruto are Mha and black clover, also hugely influenced by One Piece. I don't see how Naruto is more influential to battle manga than One Piece. I do see Bleach having a lot of influence though, I'll give you that.

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
This must be a thing of this forum. To constantly repeat the same conversations every year.
Anyway, I'm not gonna get into this Toriko / Bleach / Big 3 thing again. Just go back to last year's forum and read the comments there.

Moving on, how does JK's current sales compare to something like pre-anime TPN and pre-anime MHA? Anyone?

Rain, your bias is showing again.
Seriously, do better.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The big 3 is a western term. The japanese refer to them as the main 3 pillars of the 2000's. Toriko was never a forced replacement for Bleach. Pillars come and go.
Bleach took HxH's place around the mid 2000's because hiatus makes the series less relevant to the magazine. Toriko took Bleach's place because Bleach sales were declining, but toriko was rising.

There were pillars before the "big 3" and there will be more pillars as series come and go.

Which successful battle manga are you two talking about though? The only battle manga that were hugely influenced by naruto are Mha and black clover, also hugely influenced by One Piece. I don't see how Naruto is more influential to battle manga than One Piece. I do see Bleach having a lot of influence though, I'll give you that.
There were also pillars during the 00's that weren't Bleach as well.
I really hate the term big 3 the way westerners use it. It shows a very narrow understanding of Jump history.
Regardless, I've argued about this too many times and don't want to do it again.

Last edited:

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States

There were also pillars during the 00's that weren't Bleach as well.
I really hate the term big 3 the way westerners use it. It shows a very narrow understanding of Jump history.
Regardless, I've argued about this too me times and don't want to do it again.
You're both right, my apologies. I was mainly using quotes because I knew it was just a Western term, but now that I think about it, I should've rather said that Jump tried to promote Toriko alongside their two biggest then-currently-running sellers Naruto and One Piece.

Reading Somethin'

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Honduras
Moving on, how does JK's current sales compare to something like pre-anime TPN and pre-anime MHA? Anyone?

500k+ in a year, so Jjk is a below by 100-200k by volume, I think there was more info of neverland's anime at the time, if that changes anything. Don't know about mha.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Shoseki

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 19
#2 Dr. Stone 14
#3 Act-age 10
#26 Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 20
#40 Mission: Yozakura Family 1
#51 Mitama Secureity 1
#60 Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui 4
For comparison:
Double Taisei Day 1: 150
Beast Children Day 1: 161
Tokyo Shinobi Squad Day 1: 86
To add to it, Kamio was at #67 (surprising that it's higher now) and Saiyuki at #150
Samurai 8 V1 Day 1: 30
Samurai 8 V2 Day 2: 40
Chainsaw Man: 21 (note this is before the Great Wall of Kimetsu Backlogs showed up)
Another point of comparison for the last time Jump released comedy/gag manga together, David was 66th, I'm From Japan 110th.
Act-Age's Vol 1 Shoseki numbers
Day 1: 30
Day 2: 46

So, Day 1 Shoseki numbers:

Act-Age: 30
I'm From Japan: 110
David: 66
Chainsaw Man: 21
Ne0lation: 140
Hell Warden Higuma: 78
The Last Saiyuki: 150
Yui Kamio: 67
Samurai 8 V1: 30
Samurai 8 V2: 40
Double Taisei: 150
Beast Children: 161
Tokyo Shinobi Squad: 86
Mission: Yozakura Family: 40
Mitama Secureity: 51

And the other days:

So, for reference, the first three days for all the first volumes of the 2019 series:

• Chainsaw Man: 21, 18, 23
  • Ne0lation: 140, 227, 286
  • Hell Warden Higuma: 78, 112, 139
  • The Last Saiyuki: 150, 300, NA
  • Yui Kamio Lets Loose: 67, 113, 305
  • Samurai 8: 30/40, 43/49, 51/58
  • Double Taisei: 150, 450, NA
  • Beast Children: 161, 485, NA
  • Tokyo Shinobi Squad: 86, 146,
  • Mission: Yozakura Family: 40, 60, ???
  • Mitama Secureity: 51, 96, ???
For a reminder, Yozakura and Mitama debuted after Kimetsu's backlog monster emerged.

Anyone wanna do predictions on the Vol 1 sales for the five uncertains?
Sure, why not.

M+ views:
Mashle (95k) > Undead x Unluck (70k) > Gardian of the Witch (57k) > Samurai 8 (52k) > Zipman (39k) > Yozakura (33k) > Agravity Boys (23k) >> Mitama (8k)

The newer series haven't stabilized yet, so we'll have to make some adjustments. Mashle has 3 chapters out and the system counts 4 (or 5, we'll see that on Sunday), which means it will be rising for another week before it starts losing older views. UxU has 4 chapters already, and GarW has 2 more to go.

The biggest problem though is that we need to account for the fact that the first chapter usually does better than the others. The size of the drop is very variable (Mitama had 10k in the first week and 5k in the second, Yozakura started with 25k and stayed there for months), so it'll be more accurate to take the views from the latest chapter and multiply by 4. Mashle had 75k after 2 chapters and 95k now, so let's assume 20k for the average chapter. UxU went from 63k last week to 70k today, so 7k/week. GarW had 46k after the first chapter and 57k now (which means it's dropping hard), so I'll take 6k for the next chapters.

Mashle (80k) > Samurai 8 (52k) > Zipman (40k) > Yozakura (33k) > Undead x Unluck (28k) > Gardian of the Witch (24k) > Agravity Boys (23k) >> Mitama (8k)

Looking at the rankings above, we can make a rough guess about the day 1 positions:

Mashle (~25) > Samurai 8 (30) > Zipman (~35) > Yozakura (40) > Undead x Unluck (~42) > Gardian of the Witch (~44) > Agravity Boys (~45) >> Mitama (51)

Then, looking at the chart, take a shot at the week 1 sales:

I mean, this chart says it all:

Estimates:

Yozakura sold 11,330.
Miitama sold 4,953.

Mashle (~20k) > Samurai 8 (18k) > Zipman (~15k) > Yozakura (11k) > Undead x Unluck (~10k) > Gardian of the Witch (~9k) > Agravity Boys (~8k) >> Mitama (5k)

Obviously, these are approaches of estimates of guesstimates. But I'm curious to see if I got the general trends right, at least.

TL;DR version

My predictions on the Vol 1 sales:

Mashle (~20k)
Zipman (~15k)
Undead x Unluck (~10k)
Gardian of the Witch (~9k)
Agravity Boys (~8k)

Last edited:

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
My predictions on the Vol 1 sales:

Mashle (~20k)
Zipman (~15k)
Undead x Unluck (~10k)
Gardian of the Witch (~9k)
Agravity Boys (~8k)
maybe also add some jump plus titles?

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, Day 1 Shoseki numbers:

Act-Age: 30
I'm From Japan: 110
David: 66
Chainsaw Man: 21
Ne0lation: 140
Hell Warden Higuma: 78
The Last Saiyuki: 150
Yui Kamio: 67
Samurai 8 V1: 30
Samurai 8 V2: 40
Double Taisei: 150
Beast Children: 161
Tokyo Shinobi Squad: 86
Mission: Yozakura Family: 40
Mitama Secureity: 51
It's worth noting that Yozakura and Mitama also had the unusual occurrence of premiering after Kimetsu's entire backlog was taking up 17-18 slots that the other series didn't have to attempt to compete with. If I was trying to be fair and exclude this outlier event, I'd say Yozakura probably would've wound up between Chainsawman and Act-Age, while Mitama likely would've been between Samurai 8 volumes 1 and 2.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It's worth noting that Yozakura and Mitama also had the unusual occurrence of premiering after Kimetsu's entire backlog was taking up 17-18 slots that the other series didn't have to attempt to compete with. If I was trying to be fair and exclude this outlier event, I'd say Yozakura probably would've wound up between Chainsawman and Act-Age, while Mitama likely would've been between Samurai 8 volumes 1 and 2.
Well, Samurai 8 also had to compete with the entire backlog, it had 12 of 17 volumes above vol 1 and other 4 above vol 2 on day 1, so if you do the same with S8, was supposed to be higher on Shoseki.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, Samurai 8 also had to compete with the entire backlog, it had 12 of 17 volumes above vol 1 and other 4 above vol 2 on day 1, so if you do the same with S8, was supposed to be higher on Shoseki.
Ah I see. I couldn't remember off the top of my head when exactly the Kimetsu boost started and thought Samurai 8 came out before then. When did the Kimetsu boost happen again? It feels like it's been going on for quite some time, longer than I was initially thinking

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ah I see. I couldn't remember off the top of my head when exactly the Kimetsu boost started and thought Samurai 8 came out before then. When did the Kimetsu boost happen again? It feels like it's been going on for quite some time, longer than I was initially thinking
I can confirm the Kimetsu-plosion was in October, around the time S8 dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.