American Politics | Page 274 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Trump has received support and votes and continues to receive support despite his bullshit, so of course it makes us look stupid even though he lost the popular vote.
I think the world thought the US was stupid long before Trump. However, with Obama that changed. Now with electing Trump, everyone thinks the US is stupid. Although, most did vote for Hillary, allowing him to run and be president was what made the world face palm.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Anyone who thinks a country is "stupid" based on who wins an election is equally "stupid". That's the kind of lack of nuance and reductionist view that I have a hard time appreciating.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone who thinks a country is "stupid" based on who wins an election is equally "stupid". That's the kind of lack of nuance and reductionist view that I have a hard time appreciating.
Well, if they voted for someone with no political experience and solely on emotional hatred than they are fools by definition.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
We were stupid for voting for some of our leaders :)

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Well, if they voted for someone with no political experience and solely on emotional hatred than they are fools by definition.
We were stupid for voting for some of our leaders :)
Yeah but you said yourself, most US voters didn't vote for him. Not particularly interested in taking the blame and wearing a dunce cap when I didn't support or vote for him. And I doubt anyone else would either.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think the world thought the US was stupid long before Trump. However, with Obama that changed. Now with electing Trump, everyone thinks the US is stupid. Although, most did vote for Hillary, allowing him to run and be president was what made the world face palm.
I agree 100%. Obama was the only reason our reputation got salvaged somewhat.
Here's the thing though. Trump still got support and still won, which means there are some people who believe his bullshit and voted for him. While majority of the country did not vote for him, he still won, and that's all anyone would go by when judging us. Not to mention, you have Trump tweeting stupid shit and right wing media being prominent.

It's basically a reductionist view made by people who already didn't have as much respect or love for the US, I guess.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Here's the thing though. Trump still got support and still won, which means there are some people who believe his bullshit and voted for him. While majority of the country did not vote for him, he still won, and that's all anyone would go by when judging us.
Some, but not most.

And yes, that was my point in saying I disagreed with any kind of assessment like that. I don't think Russians are stupid because Putin is in power (though, this example might not be the best one, it's all I could think of in the moment lol).

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah but you said yourself, most US voters didn't vote for him. Not particularly interested in taking the blame and wearing a dunce cap when I didn't support or vote for him. And I doubt anyone else would either.
We don't think all Americans are stupid, just the ones who support Trump and the system that let him win. After all, it's the country that brought South Park and that show is genius. :D

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
How do you know it's not the most? Trump supporters didn't really start criticizing him until he went a bit left or tried to compromise, and even then, they went back to supporting him when he kept on going with his bullshit agenda.

But would you think Russians are dumb if they voted for him, and he won the election despite the lies and stupidity?

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
God-fucking-damnit.
Looks like Ron DeSantis, a Tea-Party hack endorsed by Trump, will run for Florida Governor. He's really just one of those generic Republicans: Repeal the ACA, support the shitty Tax Bill, oppose any form of Gun Control, you name it.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
How do you know it's not the most? Trump supporters didn't really start criticizing him until he went a bit left or tried to compromise, and even then, they went back to supporting him when he kept on going with his bullshit agenda.
You weren't talking about Trump supporters there, you were talking about the voting population as a whole. That's why I said "some" and not "most"

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
You weren't talking about Trump supporters there, you were talking about the voting population as a whole. That's why I said "some" and not "most"
Er, the voting population as a whole didn't go for Trump, only a portion did. I followed that with "most of the population didn't" as well. However, the point was that other countries generalize us or at least, sees majority of us as mentally challenged because Trump started getting support until he became the sole candidate and ended up winning.

How many of them know that Trump lost the popular vote? How many of them even care, given he's the president now? Either way, US's rep as a whole has taken a deathblow, and Moore's near victory sealed it. Though, I'm just basing this on a very tiny population - friends who aren't from or living in the US, and a lot of them were shocked that Moore had so many votes despite being accused of assaulting a young teenager. This sadly can't be denied, but the republicans have tarnished US's image, from Reagan to the Bushes to Trump. I actually don't know if Bill Clinton made us look bad at all though.

And the Trump effect: people actually see Hillary as a hero or did a 180 on her. :\

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fucking spineless rodent Schumer was willing to throw in the Wall in his negotiation with Trump prior the shutdown.
Although by the grace of god, it worked in his favor because Trump has turned down his agreements.

A silver platter of Trump's key promise got shattered; this is really pathetic on Trump's part.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
You sure that wasn't intentional? I mean, we all know Drumpf isn't smart enough to see a legislative troll.... Reminds me of that one time the GOP tried to bluff the Dems into voting a bill that would allow Obama to approve a budget with no checks whatsoever and the Dems called them out on it.

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course it was intentional, I doubt it was some political strategy behind this.
It was both reckless and insulting; imagine if Trump actually took up the deal and the effect it will have on the Democratic Party.

He's considered lucky that Trump is a fucking moron to reject his offer, which made Trump liable to the cause of the shutdown.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Trump supporters are blaming democrats though.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Trump supporters are blaming democrats though.
What does it matter? Obviously either side will blame the other. It's always like that. The issue here isn't who caused the shutdown but rather the policy issues behind the shutdown and which side got what they wanted. And from what I can tell democrats, as usual, folded. Unless they are really trusting republican's words on a compromise on DACA. Even though republicans have not made a compromise with democrats since... Well, I can't remember a single one since I started following US politics nor have I found any in recent history when reading before those halcyon days...
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/

For anyone interested in gerrymandering and alternatives to the current district distribution. I am amazed at how consistently republicans have an advantage TBH.

MatewBro

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Never thought I would like to read about politics:spaz

MOYcano 0.23

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Never thought I would like to read about politics
Not long ago I was in a family reunion on my wife's side. There were young couples, uncles and aunts, each group chatting about different things on different corners on a big room. I had the option to listen about babies, make-up or soup opera... or engage on conversations about futbol (soccer) or politics.

Easy choice for me. I honestly enjoyed the politics talk with my in-law uncles.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Interesting, steel trade wars now. Really? Wasn't the first time republicans did this enough of a lesson that being stupid tends to cause harm? There is no limit to how ignorant this administration can be....