Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
She is creepy though
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I dunno if we should really get into a big salty argument already when we’ve only reached 2 points. :XD
Bah!

Now is the perfect time to get into a big, salty, argument.

The more points a choice's worth, the more people agree that it's a terrible character - therefore, the less chance someone will take offence at an individual pick
:invalid
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,617
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
“Blinded by Bebop nostalgia” may be a thing in my case (I’m not one to decide, though I’m fairly certain I would still love it to bits if I watched it today because I know myself) but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still one of the shows lots of new anime viewers consider the best, and is constantly referred to as the show even non-anime viewers will admit to love because it’s just that good. :catshrug
Is it? So far everyone I know who likes it saw it many years ago, not sure where you take the facts from that it's considered the best by "lots of new anime viewers". You shouldn't need numbers to validate your taste to begin with though :catshrug

Faye isn’t my favorite character of the show, but she still has more depth than most (especially female) anime characters out there and really well-written, whether you like her personality or not.

I would ask you precisely why you consider her (and Spike) one of the worst characters ever, since that might help me comprehend what or different criteria for “good/bad” character are, but I dunno if we should really get into a big salty argument already when we’ve only reached 2 points. :XD And like I said, I was already prepared for you listing a Bebop character to counteract the high points it’s gotten in other categories. :cookiehand
Depends on what criteria people use for their list here. Being poorly written is a significant point, but far from the only thing to consider for me. In Faye's case, regardless of whether she has depth or not doesn't change that every scene with her you wish she wasn't there. Which is a pretty big factor for "bad character" if you ask me :cookiehand I did enjoy the backstory episode she had actually, those were rather well done in Bebop in general for the cast, for my man Jet as well. But won't make me like her or appreciate her input in the show.
As for Spike, he was mainly a disappointment for how people hyped him up for me before I watched. But that's too big to write on about a character not even on my list in the end, so will skip that.

Think I care about "counteracting" other lists? :lmao Each of these lists is a new list on their own. And I do mine honestly :nerd
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Is it? So far everyone I know who likes it saw it many years ago, not sure where you take the facts from that it's considered the best by "lots of new anime viewers". You shouldn't need numbers to validate your taste to begin with though :catshrug



Depends on what criteria people use for their list here. Being poorly written is a significant point, but far from the only thing to consider for me. In Faye's case, regardless of whether she has depth or not doesn't change that every scene with her you wish she wasn't there. Which is a pretty big factor for "bad character" if you ask me :cookiehand I did enjoy the backstory episode she had actually, those were rather well done in Bebop in general for the cast, for my man Jet as well. But won't make me like her or appreciate her input in the show.
As for Spike, he was mainly a disappointment for how people hyped him up for me before I watched. But that's too big to write on about a character not even on my list in the end, so will skip that.

Think I care about "counteracting" other lists? :lmao Each of these lists is a new list on their own. And I do mine honestly :nerd
I’m not trying to justify it with numbers, I’m just saying people don’t simply like Bebop for nostalgia as you would have it appear. It’s my introduction series to friends who don’t watch anime, and lots of them never got into anime in general but still come over for an annual rewatch (and that’s an experience I often see others share as well).

See that’s why I wanted to know your reasons for listing her, since I can’t see her as one of those characters you just want to take out of a scene at all. And yeah, I did think you would do something like that because you’ve said you didn’t dislike the show nor liked it, and remarked that it’s overrated. But I can respect it more when I know you really do mean it. :nod
This is just another example of us having seriously varied opinions of what we find enjoyable. :XD
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,617
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
This is just another example of us having seriously varied opinions of what we find enjoyable. :XD
Probably, but I'm still surprised you aren't annoyed by most of her screentime in the show. :wonder While watching I even thought her being unlikeable is her main character trait the show is self-aware of. She did change a bit later near the end, but not worth all the episodes til then :noworry If anything I should've put her on 6th or 7th spot.
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,092
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
@Erinyes


lol, she'd be in my top 10 characters in ongoing manga :pout




Oh my bad,

but let me explain


dont get me wrong, yeah shes epic (in the creepest way :arf). Maybe should have mentionned it earlier, but i did choose only characters i found despicable in what they did or how they behave. none of my nominee is a bad written char i think, at least :errr, otherwise it would have been an all ft list
joke aside, i m having issues in selecting bad written characters bc its usually neither black nor white they might have some nice moments and some really bad, see for instance chars like sakura or erza, its really debatable, other might find them great i dont say they re bad but some parts of their characterization doesnt fit with me. thats why i went for wrong-doing (yeah thats debatable too, but well :p)
i regret though not having Gon in my list if i had to redo it ill trade her with him :arf
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
3 points
a broken toe - painful, niggling, unpleasant, but not the worst thing that can happen to you​

Arima Kishou
Tokyo Ghoul
Nii

Babidi
Dragonball
Gryffindor

Ginjo
Bleach
Juviii

Goro Miura
Bakuman
FaustXIII

Ichigo Kurosaki
Bleach
uberfayt

Izaya
Durarara
Erinyes

Kagami Taiga
Kuroko no Basuke
GrySun

Minoru Mineta
Boku no Hero Academia
Organizized

Monkey D. Luffy
One Piece
BluePegasus

Naruto Uzumaki
Naruto
Arjuna

Nobuyuki Sugou
Sword Art Online
Emperor Spriggan

Sayaka Miki
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika
Linali

Trunks
Dragonball
zimbardo​

Really not a good day to be a Shounen Jump protagonist
:invalid


An indecipherable mystery until the end, with contradictory behavior more than once. Never understood why some people seemed to enjoy his character

Now, I'm pretty busy at work, so will only post a quick summary of my dislike for this character.

Dragonball Z isn't a series which does much justice to any of its supporting cast. Their main purpose is often solely to emphasise the power of a villain, making them appear to be a legitimate threat before Goku [Vegeta, or Gohan...] can deal with them.
However, when it comes to non-mains, Trunks is really a rather poor one at that.

In the Cell games, where he had the chance to be a real driving force, he was sidelined rather quickly.

Every time he is shown, it's really only an excuse to take up time before the interesting characters turn up. He's like a poor-man's Gohan.

Even his background is only as detailed as it needs to be to establish the setting - there's really little more to it than that.
This is a common problem with the Dragonball series, to be fair, but it doesn't make it any better.

I can't think of anything 'special' about that character - other than his terrible Hanson-esque hairstyle.

Now this might be ok had his father not been motherfucking Vegeta [TPOS], my favourite character in the series.
The fact that his own son grows up to become that is truly unforgivable.

 
Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
How can anyone dislike SOMEONE and Arima :emocat
 
Last edited by a moderator:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
In relation to some of the other picks, how about a quick fire post

Fits the usual silly non-final boss villain, which the Dragonball series is known for. However, even in relation to those, he does stand out as rather irritating.

You could probably have put any of the Fullbringers on this list and I'd have agreed with you.
They were awful, overpowered, and boring.

Bleach died long before they turned up, however.

I'm not sure I agree with these two – especially considering all the other great (by 'great' I mean, not great at all – I mean terrible, awfully-written, waste of good paper) picks within their respective mangas.

The blank backgrounds in Bleach were more interesting and better designed than many of the characters later on.

Probably my least favourite of the big Shounen 3 heroes.

He quite literally broke the main message (or what was at the start, at least) of the manga.
'hard work will eventually beat good genetics' – yeah, right...

Though, to be fair, Lee also broke that, to an extent (though, he has the subtle defence of not being the main character).

Naruto had that awful habit of trying to convert people, in a really jarring way at times – this is a trope I am not a huge fan of, at least not when the villains [who the hero is trying to convert] had previously (sometimes as little as 5 minutes ago) been shown to be so truly terrible/'evil'/unforgivable.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
zimbardo :question SOMEONE is on my list too !!! :feelsbadman
Damn these surname/first name switches...

consider them removed
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
When i saw my comment edited

 

Elusia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
11,568
Country
Philippines
Ichigo Kurosaki
Bleach
uberfayt​
@uberfayt I almost considered this guy, but ended up with another infamous Bleach character. But no doubt that I believe he is easily the weakest Big Three protagonist.
Izaya
Durarara
Erinyes​
@Erinyes I could feel the Shizuo vibes from this pick :XD
But yea, he's a major prick in the anime.

And surprised to see Sayaka and Trunks on the list. I consider them otherwise, but from a narrative standpoint, I can see why :verily
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Akane Tsunemori... props to you @Linali you know how to trigger me :emobirb
Sorry :sweat I can't help but see her as endlesly naive newbie with obsession about Kougami. Perhaps I'm also a bit irritated, that we had to watch the story from her perspective, when imo there are more interesting characters, who, unlike Akane, are not affraid to take more resolut actions. Also she lacks primary goal in her life (or I haven't notice any), she just "is". I'm sure there are characters of other shows, who I disliked much more than Akane, too bad for her, Psycho-Pass was good enough to stay in my memory.
Spoke too soon :derp
And what is that suppose to mean... :hmm

@GrySun, I expected to see Kagami on the list, but not from you :nah Explain yourself at once, traitor :cop (I'm willing to forgive you, because of that beautiful signature of yours tho :lick)
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@Nii nooo why?? He's best guy in TG :feelsbadman
Well zimbo already shared my opinion: "An indecipherable mystery until the end, with contradictory behavior more than once. Never understood why some people seemed to enjoy his character"

To be fair though, that's mostly because of the stuff in re. He had potential but in my eyes he got too little screentime and then we got some really weird explanations for his behaviour or actions, which made almost no sense to me. It's exactly bc he was a rather cool char with potential in the beginning, only to be completely wasted. Could have picked someone else too, but he was a prime example for the many things that ruined TG:re later on (in my eyes), so my disappointment is still relatively fresh.
 
Top