Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I think that if I had watched more than one epi, I'd be summing points here as well.
I watched all 3 seasons. I can safely say it‘s the biggest offender of the quality/popularity scale. I have no idea what makes it popular, because the show itself, story and characters are all terrible. And it‘s probably getting more seasons too.

I think @Jammin and @Lambu talked about the series before I watched it, think Lambu shares my view on it.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I watched all 3 seasons. I can safely say it‘s the biggest offender of the quality/popularity scale. I have no idea what makes it popular, because the show itself, story and characters are all terrible. And it‘s probably getting more seasons too.

I think @Jammin and @Lambu talked about the series before I watched it, think Lambu shares my view on it.
It's garbage. How you watched 3 seasons is beyond me, I just barely got through the first.

The One Piece anime... not gonna argue with the low quality there (the last ten years especially it has been in a not-so-slow decline) but tbh that's pretty much the general consensus even among OP fans. :invalid
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
It's garbage. How you watched 3 seasons is beyond me, I just barely got through the first.

The One Piece anime... not gonna argue with the low quality there (the last ten years especially it has been in a not-so-slow decline) but tbh that's pretty much the general consensus even among OP fans. :invalid
I just hate that so many still watch it. If all the OP fans, who shit on it, stopped watching, maybe they'd actually do something. :/
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
It's garbage. How you watched 3 seasons is beyond me, I just barely got through the first.

The One Piece anime... not gonna argue with the low quality there (the last ten years especially it has been in a not-so-slow decline) but tbh that's pretty much the general consensus even among OP fans. :invalid
Oh if you think S1 was bad 2 and 3 are actually even worse, especially 3.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
I didn't even realize Overlord has such a high ranking. I started to notice cosplays of it in cons, and decided to check it out. Couldn't finish the first episode even. Just weren't interested. But apparently it doesn't get any better.
 

Juviii

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
14,778
Gender
Female
Country
Portugal
I had no idea Overlord was so popular...
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Idk about the west or mal or anything, but supposedly it‘s very popular in japan :notlikethis
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Idk about the west or mal or anything, but supposedly it‘s very popular in japan :notlikethis
It's big on MAL too. And finnish cons. Cosplays of that skeletal protagonist at every corner.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,681
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
I was also surprised when I saw the MAL score for Overlord, based on how much I disliked the first episode. Knowing it's popular, I imagined that maybe it's one of those series that takes a while to develop... but I guess I did well in sparing myself from it XD

Yday Hardy mentioned that those video games series are just not good as a whole, and so far I agree with him tbh. I enjoyed KonoSuba and Log Horizon (altho this one got quite boring as well and we dropped it) but wouldn't call them great either.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,644
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Steins Gate is another one of those that are popular, especially when it came out, but it‘s so flawed and hard to enjoy for me.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
21,732
Gender
Female
Country
China
Flawed implies something more than strong disdain I'm assuming, sth about the facticity of the plot itself?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched all 3 seasons. I can safely say it‘s the biggest offender of the quality/popularity scale. I have no idea what makes it popular, because the show itself, story and characters are all terrible. And it‘s probably getting more seasons too.

I think @Jammin and @Lambu talked about the series before I watched it, think Lambu shares my view on it.
I'd probably call myself the #1 Overlord fan on the forum. I love it. But I don't think it's a series for everyone. It's a series exploring very specific concepts around anti-heros and dark fantasies that gamers embrace. I think the books are extremely well written, the anime less so, but if you don't like those your not going to like it. That's just the nature of the series.

The root of the series is the concept that villains created on a whim gaining sentience and exploring what kind of actual people they would turn into and how they would effect a lord of the rings type world.

The central driving force of the series is the question of if this middle manager and mmo guild leader who isn't the most well adjusted person himself can push them in the right direction, intentionally and unintentionally, and teach them "humanity". Something they were never meant to have.

So I guess I'd agree that it's overrated in the sense that it's not a series for everyone, it was never meant to be that. It's a specific type of fan who is interested in exploring a very specific set of concepts. If your looking for a normal action adventure, it's not that, but people recommend it like it is.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
And now the one that I really wish I had remembered and included

I really have very little to say positive about this series - but it keeps on being lauded as one of the pinnacles that anime directors should aim for (pinnacle of shit more like)

Has it inspired many series? Sure...
... but is it worthy of all the praise it constantly seems to receive? Absolutely not.


4th

26 points


Neon Genesis Evangelion
Juviii (10) + Nii (9) + Organizized (4) + revo (3)​
 
Last edited:

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
I dont know about the LN, because I haven't read it and thus I cannot give an objective opinion, but Overlord anime is bad. Only watched S1 and because I forced myself to do it.

Steins Gate now is a series thats really not for everyone, there's many references that you just cannot get if you aren't a science-scifi freak.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
I'd probably call myself the #1 Overlord fan on the forum. I love it. But I don't think it's a series for everyone. It's a series exploring very specific concepts around anti-heros and dark fantasies that gamers embrace. I think the books are extremely well written, the anime less so, but if you don't like those your not going to like it. That's just the nature of the series.

The root of the series is the concept that villains created on a whim gaining sentience and exploring what kind of actual people they would turn into and how they would effect a lord of the rings type world.

The central driving force of the series is the question of if this middle manager and mmo guild leader who isn't the most well adjusted person himself can push them in the right direction, intentionally and unintentionally, and teach them "humanity". Something they were never meant to have.

So I guess I'd agree that it's overrated in the sense that it's not a series for everyone, it was never meant to be that. It's a specific type of fan who is interested in exploring a very specific set of concepts. If your looking for a normal action adventure, it's not that, but people recommend it like it is.
Well I love dark fantasy and immoral characters. I still hated it :D
 
Top