Politics American Politics

SonOfDaws

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
If redistributing wealth is seen as "centrist" by the majority of people nowadays, then we're pretty damn lost as a nation.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Redistributing wealth is not really a term that means anything without being clear on what specific policies you are talking about. Clearly there is a difference between redistributing wealth via collecting taxes to pay for education, infrastructure and medicine and redistributing wealth via, say,just arbitrarily taking land from people and giving it to others. As for yang.... I suppose he is at the left but he doesn't exactly fit with other leftwing people. Policy wise he seems to be campaigning on ideas which are just barely being discussed by economist as thought experiments. universal basic income is something which is being discussed but it hasn't been applied anywhere yet. Though politically of course the idea has traction in some places. I'd characterize yang as a fringe leftwinger rather than as a centrist. With the context being that his economic proposals are not quite tested and tried. On another note, I doubt people in the US would be willing to pay the taxes they would need to pay for others to have an universal basic income... to begin with you have people that object to paying for taxes for stuff they would use like health care...

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, and I'm trying to remember if there's any more such instances. He seems to be centrist enough
There is no instance of him "defending racism". He said he was willing to meet with him because thinks we need to be "more forgiving and less punitive". If he was "defending" Gillis he would have made excuses for what he said and he didn't do that, he did the opposite.

universal basic income is something which is being discussed but it hasn't been applied anywhere yet.
Alaska has it in effect. There have been "experiments" with it in the past in other states as well.

His whole point is that automation is going to cut down on available jobs, particularly in unskilled labor. Our population is only going to get larger as well. We may reach a point where there simply aren't enough jobs for people. His system of UBI would replace the sort of welfare that the government already pays out.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
There is no instance of him "defending racism". He said he was willing to meet with him because thinks we need to be "more forgiving and less punitive". If he was "defending" Gillis he would have made excuses for what he said and he didn't do that, he did the opposite.
If it was years ago, and the person changed since then, then yeah I agree, but otherwise we need to be harsher towards racists.

Redistributing the wealth is a great idea, but in a way that helps people, like providing people with insurance, fixing infrastructure, increasing grants and money for education, and UBI or whatnot where people can make ends meet more easily. Otherwise what's the point if the 99% don't benefit in making their lives easier?

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
If it was years ago, and the person changed since then, then yeah I agree, but otherwise we need to be harsher towards racists.
Harsher how exactly? He lost his job, no one is defending his actions. Having a conversation with someone directly affected by his comments can be way more constructive than anything else.

Reactions: M3J

SonOfDaws

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
Some good news for a change:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
United States
and one more drops out

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
#GoJonStewart

kkck