Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread
Utsune-chaaan ^_^ Could you clarify a little what's going on with the sentence "Therefore, I try to introduce characters in the storyboard first and if they moved, then I'll use them as they are or something. It's highly unlikely to give them a personality beforehand." I'm confused about what's going on here: is he saying that he only creates world around characters? If so, then why is he suddenly talking about when he gives them personality?
And I am in awe of his ability to dynamically construct a tidy, coherent narrative with consistent theme and character development. That's amazing.
Also, his character-first approach really explains a lot. It makes for great, consistent people, always the strength of this story, but perhaps explains his habit of glossing over things.
Now to compare the character archetypes of Sailor Moon and Claymore

If anyone wants a sentence that's Number A catnip, btw, that's it~!
I see where you're coming from with this, they're both the one with the useless vibe who goes all God-mode in a pinch, but the nature of their uselessness is, I think, very different. Yuma is, to this day, the weakest member of their team even if she's strong in absolute terms, and will likely never get over once having been number 40. Usagi though. . . she's an irresponsible crybaby because she's lazy, not because she's weak. At some level she knows this and it gives her an underlying confidence Yuma lacks.
Smart, quiet, considerate of others, medically inclined, sense of humour runs to gentle trolling. Yep. I see it. Ami doesn't have Cynthia's suicidal streak though but admittedly she's not been through nearly as much pain.
Well, manga Rei (as far as I've read, I'm only halfway through the arc that corresponds to Sailor Moon Super) has something of the grim intensity that Miria carries but she isn't a leader. Anime Rei is about a zillion times livelier than Miria ever is and neither of the Reis has ever shown the clarity of thought under pressure that's Miria's defining characteristic. I don't see it.
Okay, now I'm really confused. Mako-chan isn't a loudmouth and doesn't delight in conflict the way Helen does; sticking up for people is not the same as picking fights. Also, like, Mako-chan worries (needlessly ^_^) about not being feminine enough and takes social norms very seriously while Helen doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks of her. They strike me as pretty different.
Not as different as these two, though, at least Mako-chan and Helen both like parties o_o I really don't see where you're coming from with this one. Galatea is smart, stylish, witty, considerate, and a cynical pessimist. Minako is thoughtless, ambitious, a little self-absorbed, energetic, and almost disturbingly positive. If anything
she's the one who's like Helen (impulsive, cheerful) and Galatea is the one who's like Mako (tall, beautiful, and a bit of a tank).
I guess. . . ? They're both serious and duty-minded but Plu strikes me as more mature than Tabitha.
Well, they both harbour great power within that isn't quite them somehow but other than that I don't really see it.
OH GOD YES! Particularly in the first half of season 3 when they're establishing her character and she gets
all the D&M convos ^_^ This one came to me in episode 97 when she totally gets why Ami was holding back in her swim-off with Michiru. I think it's the hair or maybe it's the keen sense of how people work, low tolerance for bullshit, gruff manner, and blunt fighting style. Haruka is flirtier, though (seriously, is there a girl she
doesn't hit on?), and has a sense of humour that Deneve kind of totally lacks.
I see it ^_^ They certainly resemble each other and sport similar 'thou shalt not fuck with me' smiles. There's also the tenacious loyalty to one other special person (note: loyalty != romantic attatchment; I don't ship Clare and Teresa) and general dislike of people otherwise. I first thought Michiru reminded me of Galatea, though, I think it's her gentle sense of humour and classy style.
Sailor Chibi-Moon - Riful (Old ladies trapped in a young body lol)
Heh. Did
you find Chibiusa hyperannoying? I kind of did but them decided she had enough of a chip on her shoulder that she's sort of OK.