Shounen Komi Naoshi Oneshots

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
3,206
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Sorry for the slight mess here. I've extracted a bunch of posts from the Double Arts thread pertaining to Komi-sensei's oneshot works, and merged them into the original Personant thread. Now, you can use this thread to discuss any of his oneshot works! Please keep Double Arts discussions in its own thread though.

A quick recap of the new oneshot, Apple, published in WJ 2009 #04-05:

The main character (the blond ponytailed guy - yeah, guy) is Aramiya Satoshi, who main ability is shapeshifting into any animal ...though at a few points he has plants growing out of him, so my guess is he can shapeshift into any living thing (including an elephant and a lion) I'm not sure if he was naturally born that way or if he was a biological experiment. Anyway, he's a pretty easygoing guy who just wants to be left alone to enjoy his solitary life in the middle of a junkyard, but apparently some army or another is always after him because of his ability, though he is able to fight off entire tank battalions before breakfast.

The story is somewhat serious with a few funny bits - on the same level as Double Arts. Like Personant, though, I can't see this becoming a series.
And lastly, here's the raw for Apple, though it's a LQ cam quality, thanks to Heiji-sama.
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/6787
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

sweet! thanks for the cam raw! it looks to be very interesting! cant wait for the Edited Manga!

and i hope some one does a Edited Manga of komi's "Williams" oneshot
 
Last edited:

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

thank you kindly, though I was looking for it I couldnt find it <.<'
anyway it seems to be a good concept that could make a series with some changes.
the shapeshifting thing kinda reminds me of animorphs but I don't know if that's in a good or bad way :amuse
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

sweet! thanks for the cam raw! it looks to be very interesting! cant wait for the Edited Manga!

and i hope some one does a Edited Manga of komi's "Williams" oneshot
Wait Williams wasn't scanlated? huh never noticed.... was there even a trans for it?
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Oh, I loved Manimal as a child :clap

Ehrrrr... I mean.... that's another nice one. So far I can look forward to any works of Komi without regrets.
 

Neji2112

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
76
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Wait Williams wasn't scanlated? huh never noticed.... was there even a trans for it?
not that i could find, i coulden't even find any RAWs, Translations, or anything for it, just a thumbnail of the cover.... just what it on mangaupdates....

it's amazing all the one shots he did that just keep poping up at random...
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I read Personant and island today, and I've heard about a lot of Naoshi's other one shots. They're great. He's very good at one shots. Each one seems as good as Double Arts before and after it was bad. (in other words, about half of volume 2) island especially was very inspirational, though Personant was too, it just felt a bit more rushed then island, which only felt rushed at the last 2 pages. I'd LOVE to see Apple, Williams, and any other Naoshi one shots scanlated. More and more I wonder what Shueisha was thinking when they cancelled Double Arts, since Naoshi seems so good. They seemed to have such high hopes for it at the 40th anniversary, and then... Hopefully one of these one shots will get Naoshi back in the magazine.
 

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
3,206
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I just uploaded the raw for Williams on MH (go here). :) Will start working on a translation now... To be honest, I totally forgot about it and thought someone else already translated it. Sorry. :/

I'll translate Apple too, once I get my copy of Jump, and Sai will be scanning a better raw. I hope. =D
 
Last edited:

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Great to hear it, Kirimi, I'll see what I can do ^^
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Oh, I loved Manimal as a child :clap
LOL omg the memories:rofl

I've already mentioned Williams to the translator I'm working with for Apple, we'll see if he has time to take it on.:) I scanned Apple last night, but my scanner kind of... forgot how to scan grayscale properly in the last handful of pages (seems to be an ongoing problem:notrust), so I need to re-balance them before I post them for public consumption.

One thing I like about Komi-sensei's one-shot stories is that no matter how over the top they get, there's a gentleness at the heart of them... and I really don't think Jump's editors know what to do with that.
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I'll translate apple when you're done scanning it :3
 

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
1,602
Reaction score
3,206
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Thanks, haya5hi and njt. =D I'll leave Apple to you guys then. I will finish Williams though. Before Christmas, I hope.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I've already passed a scan of Apple to the translator I usually work with on DA stuff, but the more translations the merrier I always say~

I've uploaded an LQ/MQ scan but I couldn't get some of the white on black text to scan properly (darn cheap Weekly Jump newsprint) so I've transcribed the problematic panels here:
Apple_20 (bottom right panel)
[note: the ( ) part is illegible even in the printed page - so it's my best guess]

4歳の時初めて施設こ拾われてから

その後(いくて?)もの施設を転々とすることのなる

子供の頃からあの特異な力があつたためか辛い仕打ちを受けてたようだ

Apple_28 (top)
隕石!?

しかも光速の!?

確かにそれなら得る

光速以上の速度で移動すろ物体は物理上無限のエネルギを持つ!!

少質量でも地球を破壊できてしまう!!
oh! And something exciting sounding that I spotted on the last page!

次号はうすた京介先生の特別読切「ダブルマメダイチ」が掲載です!!
...who is Kyousuke-sensei and why is he/she doing a "Double Mamedaichi(?!)" one-shot next issue?
...Never mind, it's probably the Jaguar manga-ka... and suddenly I'm worried.:notrust
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Kyosuke Usuta's upcoming one shot is actually anticipated by me a tiny bit more than reading apple
do not fill yourself with worries XD
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I have a feeling that Naoshi is gonna come back with a series even better than DA soon.
 

KyuuninX

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I have a feeling that Naoshi is gonna come back with a series even better than DA soon.
He has to. From all these incredible one shots Jump would be stupid not to serialize him again.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I didn't like DA, but I have to give it to him, it was original.

I also love his art. The Apple oneshot looked cool (from the raw).

This guy is gonna hit the jackpot one day.
 

haya5h1

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
247
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

Well, after reading the translation ...I take back what I said about its series potential, this one could definitely go to series with a few changes. Satoshi kind of reminds me a bit of Muddy though.:XD Muddy and... Captain Planet.:rofl

But I also feel that even though Komi-sensei's art is awesome, his stories have been kind of... immature (then again he's working within the Jump framework). They remind me of '50s pulp SF. I would love to see him work with a more experienced writer to reach his full potential.
 

sylvira

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
158
Reaction score
10
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Komi Naoshi Oneshots (latest: Apple WSJ #04-05)

I enjoyed all of Komi Naoshi's works, especially the new oneshot Apple. I can just see his artwork improving more and more. All of the stories are uniquely out there to me. :D And if Apple was changed into a series, that would be beyond awesome.
 
Top