The Chaser and the Chased

Status
Not open for further replies.

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: iPho

Same here. The traditional and fusion ones are both delicious even though the latter is so fattening. I remember one of my college friends went to China to study aboard and he mentioned in his FB that he thought traditional Chinese food sucked. When a friend, who was born in China, read it, she got so mad and got into a fight with him about it. :XD
 
Last edited:

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Oh, wow! :XD I hope the fight didn't last very long... :XD

So, out of all the Chinese cuisines, I like Shanghainese cuisine the most. :XD And from their traditional dishes, I like Xiao Long Bao, San Jing Bao, Hong Xiu Rou and Xin... All those are romanized from their Chinese names, so I'm not sure if it'll turn out in Google searches. (Except Xiao Long Bao... they're famous~ :nuts)

Have you tried many different Chinese cuisines? :XD
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: iPho

Not really. I ate pork buns and Chinese desserts but I haven't really tried other Chinese cuisines. Most Chinese restaurants usually made Americanized versions. I would love to try dim sums especially since I saw a TV special about Chinese foods. ^^
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Ahh, I see. :XD Yeah, we have the "authentic Chinese" and the "Westernized Chinese" restaurants here. :XD We usually go to eat at the authentic Chinese ones, and we hardly go to eat at the Westernized Chinese ones.
For food, Shanghai is the best!!! :zomg From the random street food stalls to the high-class restaurants, the food in Shanghai is just the best~! :wtf
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: iPho

It's all the same in Germany, in terms of restaurants it's close to tell where the real asian food begins (Chinese/Japanese/Thai and an indian one in my home town) and how long it's only the westernized versions.
For the cheaper takeaways it's obvious like all around Europe/America probably.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: iPho

Yo Ice how are you doing?

I always catch you off. Today I missed you by a few minutes XD
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: iPho

I wish there were different Chinese cuisines in the restaurants down here... They all make the same thing. There's a Chinese restaurant at every corner these days,hardly any Japanese restaurants and so far I've only been to one Korean. The Korean food was amazing though :zomg

I think I'll become a chef :XD
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

It's all the same in Germany, in terms of restaurants it's close to tell where the real asian food begins (Chinese/Japanese/Thai and an indian one in my home town) and how long it's only the westernized versions.
For the cheaper takeaways it's obvious like all around Europe/America probably.
Ahahaa yeah. :XD But it's not always authentic Asian food even if it's run by an Asian. >_> There's a lot of Chinese people who run restaurants specifically catering for Westerner's tastes. :XD

Yo Ice how are you doing?

I always catch you off. Today I missed you by a few minutes XD
Ack, yeah! :darn I think it was a couple of nights ago, but just a second after I clicked Turn Off on my computer, I saw you log in on MSN. :XD
I'm doing pretty good, summer vacation is nearly over though. :( It's been pretty hot the past few days, so I'm expecting a storm or something soon... And you? :tem How's school going for you?

I wish there were different Chinese cuisines in the restaurants down here... They all make the same thing. There's a Chinese restaurant at every corner these days,hardly any Japanese restaurants and so far I've only been to one Korean. The Korean food was amazing though :zomg

I think I'll become a chef :XD
Ah, yeah. >_> Well, there's a lot of Chinese people. :XD I love eating at Japanese restaurants! :XD My friend's dad actually owns one, and I usually go with her to have dinner there... for free~~ :turtle
Ooooh~ What did you eat at the Korean restaurant? :zomg My favourite Korean dish would probably be Bibimbap. :drool Or did you go have a Korean BBQ? :tem
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: iPho

:o You're lucky. I would love to eat for free in a Japanese restaurant :drool
I didn't try the Bibimbap,I had the BBQ. I had no idea what was what, I just picked a number -_-; but it was a lot of food and it was amazing :zomg It's the best restaurant I've been too. There's even Karaoke if I wanted to annoy people with my voice :XD
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Indeed I am. :hurr
Ah, yeah the BBQ is always awesome. :XD I'm going to have it in a few days, I think... my friends and I are planning to go have lunch at a KBBQ. :tem
Oh wow, it was that good? :XD Do you like eating really spicy stuff? :tem
Once, I had a KBBQ and there was a plate of baby octopi... we cooked them for a while, and it was still gooey in the middle. :scry Since I was the only one there who liked octopus, I had to eat it all. <_>
Bahahahaa karaoke! :XD I haven't been to one, and I don't think I ever will. :oh Do you know if there were any KPop songs at that karaoke? :lmao
 

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
288
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: iPho

Hello Iceiphoenix, nice to meet you :) You seem to have quite an interest in food, or is it just that the conversation in this thread is leaning in that direction?

So, out of all the Chinese cuisines, I like Shanghainese cuisine the most. :XD And from their traditional dishes, I like Xiao Long Bao, San Jing Bao, Hong Xiu Rou and Xin... All those are romanized from their Chinese names, so I'm not sure if it'll turn out in Google searches. (Except Xiao Long Bao... they're famous~ :nuts)
Completely agree. I was in Shanghai just a week ago at the conclusion of my tour in Europe and I've tried most of the food you mentioned above. Did you mean "Sheng Jian Bao" instead of "San Jing Bao"?

For food, Shanghai is the best!!! :zomg From the random street food stalls to the high-class restaurants, the food in Shanghai is just the best~! :wtf
I'm not exactly that big a fan of the random food stalls on the street (the hygiene is somewhat questionable) but I really like high-class restaurants and I was lucky enough to be able to dine in a few of them :p

Have you ever been to Shanghai?
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Hello Iceiphoenix, nice to meet you :) You seem to have quite an interest in food, or is it just that the conversation in this thread is leaning in that direction?
Nice to meet you too!
I think that's just because I started talking about making sorbet and ice cream. :XD

Completely agree. I was in Shanghai just a week ago at the conclusion of my tour in Europe and I've tried most of the food you mentioned above. Did you mean "Sheng Jian Bao" instead of "San Jing Bao"?
Oohhhh wow! :o Wouldn't it have been very cold, then? :darn My uncle lives there and he said that for a few days, his car wouldn't start because of the cold...
And yes! :XD Romanizing Shanghainese is quite hard. :darn

I'm not exactly that big a fan of the random food stalls on the street (the hygiene is somewhat questionable) but I really like high-class restaurants and I was lucky enough to be able to dine in a few of them :p
Questionable, but worth a try. :p Do you remember the names of the restaurants you went to? There was one I went to, called Shanghai Dynasty, and the interior was realllly beautiful! :blink And the lobby was furnished with (fake?) Versace couches.

Have you ever been to Shanghai?
How else would I know that the food in Shanghai is the best? :p
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: iPho

Oohhhh wow! :o Wouldn't it have been very cold, then? :darn My uncle lives there and he said that for a few days, his car wouldn't start because of the cold...
Haha what's the coolest temperatures you're used to in Australia by the way? And Shanghai isn't really a place where it becomes very cold either, is it? :amuse
You should visit Europe in winter and see some snow, best for skiing in Switzerland or Austria probably :D
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Hmm... the average temperature during winter is usually 10-20C I think... :oh But at night, it goes down to 2-5C probably...

Erm, it snows in China as well, you know. :XD Shanghai is kind of up north, so it's quite cold in winter... but Beijing would be even colder. :XD
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: iPho

Oh I thought Shanghai was further up to the south, gosh I can be so bad with topography :/
I think even your 2-5° doesn't feel the same like here if I consider air humidity but that's pure speculation again :amuse
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Bahahaa don't worry. :XD How do you expect to know the latitude of each city in the whole world? :p
Hmm, well there's usually a lot of rain, but other than that, it's usually pretty dry here... :oh But I haven't been walking around outside in the middle of the night during winter, so I wouldn't really know. :XD
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: iPho

For the important cities at least I think it's relatively normal to have approximate informations, after all the climate is one of the first things coming to ones mind when hearing of most countries I think :amuse
Though that's becoming more difficult for Asia now with all these newly important cities, especially for China as it's so huge.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: iPho

Ack, yeah! :darn I think it was a couple of nights ago, but just a second after I clicked Turn Off on my computer, I saw you log in on MSN. :XD
I'm doing pretty good, summer vacation is nearly over though. :( It's been pretty hot the past few days, so I'm expecting a storm or something soon... And you? :tem How's school going for you?

Oh yeah you're having summer vacation lucky XD

School is fine I had good grades, lot's of homework though. At least I don't have any books to read these next two months.
 

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
2,443
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Re: iPho

Oh yeah you're having summer vacation lucky XD

School is fine I had good grades, lot's of homework though. At least I don't have any books to read these next two months.
Ahh that's good! :tem Eugh, books to read. >_> I have 3 I have to read this year, I think...
 

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
288
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: iPho

Nice to meet you too!
I think that's just because I started talking about making sorbet and ice cream. :XD
Yum :nod

Oohhhh wow! :o Wouldn't it have been very cold, then? :darn My uncle lives there and he said that for a few days, his car wouldn't start because of the cold...
And yes! :XD Romanizing Shanghainese is quite hard. :darn
It was very cold on some days, I had to wear around 5 layers :darn Luckily, most of my time was spent inside warm restaurants, department stores, book shops, arcades, clothing shops etc. Nanjing Road is absolutely full of them :amuse

Can you speak Shanghainese?

Questionable, but worth a try. :p Do you remember the names of the restaurants you went to? There was one I went to, called Shanghai Dynasty, and the interior was realllly beautiful! :blink And the lobby was furnished with (fake?) Versace couches.
Definitely worth a try :) I was informed the food on the street tastes better, even if the presentation could use some work. I visited too many restaurants to remember names, but I do recall one, "Tang Dynasty", which I went to on my very last day. It was probably one of the more lower end restaurants I dined in, their V.I.P. rooms didn't have a private bathroom :-_-

How else would I know that the food in Shanghai is the best? :p
Oh right, silly me :amuse Which places have you visited in Shanghai? Have you been to the Shanghai World Financial Center? Or Jin Mao Tower?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top