Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
I've said this before but the current trend with editors seems to be to prioritize the mangaka's vision first and basically help draw out and structure ideas. Monji specifically said that he basically gives suggestions to Horikoshi about what characters to use and the like. These episodic chapters might have been the editor's suggestion but Miura is the one who went forward with it.
Alright then. Just tired of hearing this complaint over and over in every single Yuragi thread/forum alive.

..and if somebody replies "well, maybe the author should just do better", then I ain't talking about it no more.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The cover is less disturbing than previous ones but the author really needs to stop this shit. Watching the anime I became a fan of Sumire but this is just no. Why can't dude just use the anime designs
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Wow, you dropped OP? Why?
I've explained before, but to put it simply, I wasn't enjoying it. I really enjoy the chapters when they first arrive on an island, and explore what it has to offer. The world building is great, and the characters are fun. But the meat of every arc feels like a slog mostly, with a few exceptions. I dropped it at Dressrossa, and by that point, I hadn't had fun with an arc since Impel Down. It was only natural to drop it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saiki kusuo is the normal dog. Cute
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Breaks my heart, to see Golem Hearts so deep down. My poor baby Noah, won't last that much longer. Sad.

My own manga ranking:

The Promised Neverland
One Piece
Golem Hearts
Dr. Stone
Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia
Black Clover

Not that I would describe TPN as the best manga in WSJ right now, but at this point I enjoy its arc the most. Didnt care that much about Carrot's transformation in OP and currently waiting for that Big Mom gets her cake.
I like Golem Hearts and enjoy Dr.Stone. so not much to add.
The battle in KnY isnt that engaging for me. It's too long for my tast and have mixed feelings about its development so far.
MHA last arc was rather meh, with few good things(villain league, Mirio), also how the female heroes were handled rubbed me the wrong way.
I'm just bored with Meleleonas fight, which is ironic bc I've loved her first appearance. But now the lack of challenge bc of her strength is really a downer right now.


*looks at the Boruto colorpage*
.... nof pants, but these shoes... *sigh*, you really can see that a guy is drawing this crap.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
No HXH character ?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Last edited:

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
How does one drop The Promised Neverland
I think what supports TPN are the cliffhangers. The worldbuilding is done almost entirely through exposition. The characters are there just to be geniuses all the time. So, there is not much left to create an exciting reading. That's why it's the kind of series I feel motivated to keep reading, but I don't feel like rereading it.

Year of the Dog in Asian Zodiac
Lycopene should be disguised as human.
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Talking about BNHA... sorry some spoilers ahead and a bit of a rant:

I really don't see the point with introducing the "big 3" and then develop just the boys, that's the thing that did upset me the most. I like Mirio and Tamaki but Nejire got like not even 1/3 of their paneltime in the latest arc, plus their bond was highlighted while she got some little panels in flashbacks. We get it that the boys are friends (or if you want to see it, their bl subtext is plenty) but can we see that Nejire is their friend too? Nah. I guess that's shounen for you but I wanted Hori to do better than that.
Plus like Mawara said the female heroes in class 1-A were treated like an afterthought ,instead of giving them the chapters they deserved for their battle with the villains, their entrance was cool but then what?
Ochako... well her realization in the latest chapter is nice and all, it makes sense (because she had some little panels in the latest chapters leading to that) but after so many chapters without her the impact lessened a lot. Momo had one panel after how many chapters again? Kyouka? Tsuyu? At least Mina got something (though in someone else flashback but the characterization for her was there).
So we get half a chapter with the girls and I'm supposed to be happy with them making an appearance and then be forgotten for almost a whole arc? that doesn't work for me. I get that the cast is big and some other characters got the short end of the stick (though Bakugou and Todoroki for legic plot reasons and now they have their focus back anyway) but in this arc the lack of paneltime with the female heroes got more jarring.
The character popularity polls make you see how the girls got more and more sidelined till we get to the last one, with just Ochako in the 9th position.

This has always been a major issue for me and my enjoyement in what I read/watch but now I'm getting tired so I might just drop the manga or put it on hold for now. I'm aware that I talk too much about this topic so now that I got this out I'm done.

About more variety in jump I am quite happy with that but that is my personal bias since battle manga don't really get me hyped that much anymore xD
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Talking about BNHA... sorry some spoilers ahead and a bit of a rant:

I really don't see the point with introducing the "big 3" and then develop just the boys,
I imagine both to create a bit of diversity of genres.

That said, Mirio is clearly a character created to let readers say "Oh if he had the OFA in place of Deku would be a monster" ....
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Tier 0: One Piece
Tier 1: Gintama, Kimetsu no Yaiba, The Promised Neverland

The rift of certain enjoyment

Tier 2 or Why watch sports when you can read manga: Haikyuu, Hinomaruzumo, Shoodan, We Never Learn
Tier 3 or Why are we still here: Dr. Stone, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Saiki Kusuo no Sainan, Shokugeki no Soma

The limit of good faith

Tier 4 or Get ye gone: Boruto, Full Drive, Golem Hearts, Robot x Laserbeam

The abyss

Bottom tier: Black Clover
 
Last edited:

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
I imagine both to create a bit of diversity of genres.

That said, Mirio is clearly a character created to let readers say "Oh if he had the OFA in place of Deku would be a monster" ....
Mirio and Tamaki are two of the best characters I've seen in a while and I'm happy with their development and what they bring to the story. I just meant that I'm salty Hori called them the "big 3" when really he should have just used the term "big 2" with the way he is handling Nejire so far. I don't want mangaka to introduce female characters to just sideline them later in the story. If they are going to do that, then might as well don't introduce them at all.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,556
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What is this hate for Black Clover?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
[/doublepost]Can anyone tell me what this is?
I have no idea.
 
Last edited:

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hinomaru announcement can be a Live Action or a Dorama.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top