Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Hm :hmma quick question.
Worst characters refer to worst written, shitty, stagnate beyond belief, absolutely unappealing, etc etc characters right. So my question is are hated characters also eligible (characters like Shou Tucker, Danzo, Syura , end so on ....). I know that some hated characters are written to be hated and in my mind that makes them good written characters cuz they are fulfilling their purpose, still there are some characters i hate sooooo much that my heart hurts from the sheer anger and i consider them the worst of worst ....
So are hated characters like this eligible, or is this a separate category (most hated anime/manga characters) and we only look at horribly written characters?
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Hm :hmma quick question.
Worst characters refer to worst written, shitty, stagnate beyond belief, absolutely unappealing, etc etc characters right. So my question is are hated characters also eligible (characters like Shou Tucker, Danzo, Syura , end so on ....). I know that some hated characters are written to be hated and in my mind that makes them good written characters cuz they are fulfilling their purpose, still there are some characters i hate sooooo much that my heart hurts from the sheer anger and i consider them the worst of worst ....
So are hated characters like this eligible, or is this a separate category (most hated anime/manga characters) and we only look at horribly written characters?
Guess that’s up to every person’s interpretation? I personally think the utterly despicable - but well-written - characters are often the best ones. Still, I know some people don’t consider “character I hate the most” and “worst character” two different things because they don’t watch shows “analytically” but 100% “emotionally”, and that should be okay. This is a game of opinion after all, and if we start to limit by subjective criteria then we’ll have to remove characters from the actual list later anyway, when everyone starts disagreeing on if a character is rubbish or utter perfection. :catshrug
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I guess it might be clearer to name it “Least Favorite Characters” since that lets everyone base their picks in their own criteria?
 

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Guess that’s up to every person’s interpretation? I personally think the utterly despicable - but well-written - characters are often the best ones. Still, I know some people don’t consider “character I hate the most” and “worst character” two different things because they don’t watch shows “analytically” but 100% “emotionally”, and that should be okay. This is a game of opinion after all, and if we start to limit by subjective criteria then we’ll have to remove characters from the actual list later anyway, when everyone starts disagreeing on if a character is rubbish or utter perfection. :catshrug
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I guess it might be clearer to name it “Least Favorite Characters” since that lets everyone base their picks in their own criteria?
I see :hmmyeah i was more or less thinking the same thing, just had to be sure what the criteria was.
Ok I will probably go with worst written characters + just a few characters that i hate so much i had to pause the manga for a moment when i saw what they were doing. Or maybe ill go half half and be done with it ....
Least favorite characters does sound easier :xp
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I see :hmmyeah i was more or less thinking the same thing, just had to be sure what the criteria was.
Ok I will probably go with worst written characters + just a few characters that i hate so much i had to pause the manga for a moment when i saw what they were doing. Or maybe ill go half half and be done with it ....
Least favorite characters does sound easier :xp
Of course, zimb is the host so he has final say but that’s my interpretation.

But he did say he wants salt and conflict and people having different opinions on what’s even considered a bad character is not a bad start. :cookiehand
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well, I've already received lists for both interpretations.

I meant it as in 'worst written' rather than 'most despicable' – but, to be honest, I'll take lists of either.

Less than 24 hours left [probably]
Still time to send a list


 
Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
7,078
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Done :verily
Phew, almost forgot to make the damn list :facepalm
In the end i went with overall worst written, i tried to avoid the ones i hate to the max cuz they are written that way.
I just picked the ones that came to my mind first, so i dont even know if it is my true top worst characters :xp
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Hmm, I'd be interested in participating but I'm not sure how likely it'll be that I'd be able to submit something today
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
OK - considering that Faust's game started and I really don't want to have two running at once, I'm gonna extend the submissions period (and time you guys have to change/edit if desired) till 9pm (GMT) tomorrow [Monday].

Then no more changes/submissions - and the list will be posted sometime after Faust posts the number 1 fight.

 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
OH SHIT THIS IS CLOSING TOO!

I'll have to do the exact same thing and just throw some names of characters I hate on there and then hate myself for not doing a better list later (friggin' Luffy vs. Usopp, man, will never forgive myself). :arf
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
OH SHIT THIS IS CLOSING TOO!
You have 1 hour 24 minutes till it's closed.

But I'll probably wait till the number 1 fight has been revealed, before I start to post the list
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Yeah, but I have about ten minutes until I need to start getting ready for bed, since work starts at 5:30 tomorrow.. :bored (Also, here it's 8:51PM because of Bullshit Savings Time*.)
*Don't get me wrong, the "time zone" we're in now is what I consider the correct one, but I'm always affected for a week whenever that hour is moved back or forth..

Sent you a list. Probably the least original list you'll get, but I did drop a lot of the series on the list either completely or for long periods of time because of these characters.

This was the hardest category for me so far because I always try to make sure the show/series I'm about to watch/read is something I might enjoy. Thus, not that many truly terrible characters have crossed my path, or at least that came to mind immediately (okay, a lot of shitty characters are in the big series I read/have read, but don't want that to be all of my list really.)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: z.5

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
SUBMISSION PERIOD CLOSED
no more submissions or edits allowed
​

Listings will come sometime following the end of Faust's game - use that time to think up arguments for why you are right and everyone else is wrong.

 
Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

1 measly point
a small boil - an eyesore which can be mostly ignored

Akane Tsunemori
Psycho-Pass
Linali

Asta
Black Clover
Arjuna

Hawk
Nanatsu no Taizai
Brandish

Jack/Assassin of "Black"
Fate/Aprocrypha
niichan

Jericho
Nanatsu no Taizai
Juviii

Laxus Dreyar
Fairy Tail
Gryffindor

Seiko Osabe
Chi no Wadachi
Erinyes

Rivalz Cardemonde
Code Geass
FaustXIII

Itachi Uchiha
Naruto

zimbardo

Seryu Ubiquitous
Akame Ga Kill
Emperor Spriggan

Suzaku Kururugi
Code Geass
GrySun

Yuma
Yu-Gi-Oh!
BluePegasus​

... ahem

Jack/Assassin of Black:
a character that might've been interesting turned into a weird pseudo emo phenomenon who's mostly annoying by the end of her arc. I also blame Archer of Red, who was almost equally horrible all things considered.

Now, sure, nii has posted some wonderful reasoning as to why a character I do not know is so bad.
Now to tell you why I despise a character you all do know.

Now don't get me wrong, Naruto has its share of terrible characters (some of which might well appear later. Who could possibly say?)

Itachi, however, didn't start out as one.

If anything, Itachi actually started out as a really cool character - and that is why his fall was so much more egregious.

At the start, he was powerful, dangerous, and scary. A mass murderer and a worthy enemy for one of the main 3 characters (and Naruto's [the main character's] rival).
He was more powerful than most named characters, but not in the way he was at the end.

However, then Kishimoto decided to completely change his manga.
He forced a bizarre twist on Itachi (one meant to make a patricidal, matricidal, amicidal, senicidal, infanticidal, genocidal, general mass-murderer, into a hero) and pretended it made sense/the action was forgivable.
He gave Itachi power-up after power-up - including items which could 1HKO anyone - to the point where it was almost inconceivable for him to lose any fight at all.

I'd also argue that he was one of the single main driving-forces behind the ruination of Sasuke's character (and I don't mean he turned evil, I mean 'ruined' as in 'making him a terrible, boring, character, who no longer interests me when he appears in the manga')

Sasuke part 1 wanted revenge and was willing to walk a fine moral line (or stray into the immoral) to get it.

Sasuke part 2 wanted revenge on Konoha (he actually wanted to kill innocents) and would kill random people (everyone and anyone) along the way to get it - for no other reason than he loved his お兄さん. He had no complexity to his character anymore, no subtlety, he became boring.

When you make a character (especially one who isn't a main villain any more) too powerful, it easily makes them boring to read about (as there's little chance of them losing).

When you completely change a character's backstory/personality, it has to be done with care.

Itachi part 1 was awesome - part 2... terrible
Now, if you guys wanted pictures for these characters, I'm sorry [not really].

I kinda don't want to have 100 pictures on a page, as it's a pain to go through on my mobile later (if I need to change/correct stuff tomorrow).

But don't you worry yourselves too much... I am thinking up some way around this minor issue

 
Last edited:

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Because I know how much you guys love graphs
:verily

Also, I know the pig is male (and that 'pig' isn't a sex)... I just don't care

Sorry zimb, I just listed this guy as Suzaku in my list. He's that bad you drop the surname off him.
Oh, sorry, my bad.

I changed it just for you



Hope that it is all better now
:verily
 
Top