1. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  2. It's that time of the year again! The seventh annual MangaHelpers Community Awards are here. Click HERE to join in the fun and nominate your choices!
  3. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  4. The nomination round has ended and the first round of voting begins now. Click HERE to begin voting!
  5. The fourth voting round is here! Vote for your favorite Manga now!
  6. Congratulations Kappa123 for winning the Pets Coloring contest!, and well done to the other participants!.

New Week, New Contest!
    Grab your camera! The theme is Friends Photography.

Voting has begun for the Survival Poem contest!.
  7. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Info Claymore Alternative Translation and Clarification

Discussion in 'Claymore' started by Utsune, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bayuga

Bayuga Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Germany
    The Claymore land is a continent (this island mainland thing is simply BS)! And the people think, their continent is the only landmass in the world. So, if Rubel says "everyone in this world knows that", he means everyone on the claymore continent knows that. Rubel made not a mistake.

Many characters talked about a continent:

Helen in chapter 25, page 28.

Raki in chapter 31, page 16

Galatea in chapter 45, page 22

Cynthia in chapter 83, page 3

Utsune likes this.
  2. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Holy Britannian Empire
    Ah cool, thanks for the references, that really clears it up. I ranted on about it because I was under the impression that the word 'continent' had other implications (from experience with the term whether right or wrong), but if other characters use the same term as well then for all we care it's a mutually understood concept, which should be all that matters here. In that case please ignore the rant in my last post lol.

By the way, I think most of us here calls them 'mainland' and 'island' simply to differentiate what we're referring to. Even though we call it 'an island' (which doesn't sound big or imposing at all) we have estimated that this 'island' is at least half the size of Australia, which is massive to say the least.

Bayuga likes this.
  3. Bayuga

Bayuga Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Germany
    Yes, that's understandable. The problem is, we don't know the names of the continents. Claymoria and Draconis would be cool.

The Claymore continent and the War continent are different continents. But island and mainland sounds like England and Europe for me. That's the reason, why I don't like these words. And a island has of course not such different climatic zones with snow and ice, deserts etc.
    Yes, the Claymore continent is a land mass, completely surrounded by water. Maybe this is the reason, why Rubel called the land an island in chapter 143. But Australia and Antarctica are also completely surrounded by water, and both are continents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. littleangel

littleangel Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Jordan
    Can I ask what is the meaning of when Rosemary said to Teresa: "You who stole N.1 from me more than anything else"? The "more than anything else" thingy is something that I never understood exactly as it feels like it could have multiple meanings.. (or maybe because my English is not that good so I feel like it could have another meaning).

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/24040/claymore_v13_ch73.1_by_10sigh/19

5. serpico

serpico Registered User

Winterfell
    I believe it a error translation instead of more than anything else as (more than anyone else)
    after all (anything else) make not sense on their conversation

6. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    The "more than anything else" is either referring to "I cannot forgive you" (in the previous speech bubble of the same panel) or "I want to kill you" (on the next page.) Other similar phrases include "of all things," "more than anything else," "above all" etc. You get the idea. It's simply a figure of speech, though you could argue that Rosemary implies she has a number of other things she dislikes, with Teresa being what she hates the most.

littleangel likes this.
  7. littleangel

littleangel Registered User

Jordan
    Thank you Utsune :) That makes more sense now.. As normally each bubble is separated in content from other bubbles so I got confused..

8. faceoff855

faceoff855 Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Netherlands
    I'm hoping someone is willing to clarify this detail. At mangareaders On page 29 chapter 149 it says, in the form of commentary from the writer "The body to inherit it all, is this charming soldier" refering to the emergence of Theresa. What interests me is the definitive sound of this sentence, as if we can expect Clare to not be returning. At least thats what is insinuated in the translation. Can someone please compare the kanji and see if that either denounces or reinforces this idea?

Mangafox translations isn't very strong either. Doesn't insinuate so much that Clare is gone for good as the other one though. Pretty much suggests Clare being the one to inherit as opposed to Theresa's body doing the inheriting. I think its safe to say Clare will be returning safe and sound in the end. Would have been one hell of a plot-twist, ending up with Theresa.

Thnx in advance

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    Sorry for the late reply. I was unsure of the translation myself and had to ask in the Translators' Academy part of the forum.

The original phrase is:
    受け継ぎし血肉は、
    微笑の戦士   

Courtesy of mikkih's insight, the general meaning of the phrase should be:
    "The flesh inherited is
    the Warrior of Faint Smile"

i.e. This commentary is merely stating the owner of the inherited flesh, rather than suggesting the flesh is taking over. Hope this answers your query.

littleangel likes this.
  10. Number A

Number A Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Dragonstone
    Utsune-chaaaaan~!

Chasity isn't virginity. Can you hit up the raws and tell us all which Yagi meant~? I don't think I need to provide a scene citation for this one ;)

11. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    Haha, yes that's a good point you've brought up over there. So the word Teresa uses is: 貞操, and "chastity" is its common meaning. As you've mentioned in your post, it is a virtue rather than a 'physical state' if I could call it that.

The word for virginity is 童貞 or 処女性.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if people nowadays use them interchangeably (incorrectly of course, whether in Japanese or in English,) knowing the setting of the manga and Teresa, the more proper definition of the word is likely the intended take on this.

Number A likes this.
  12. Dark Night

Dark Night Registered User

Kenya
    Utsune-saaaaan!! If it's not too much trouble I'd like to ask for your take on Galatea's lines this chapter?

13. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    Eyo, I've had a looked at Waychanger's translation (he translates for MS) and it would seem it's pretty much perfect, so I would recommend you to look that up rather than me writing out the same thing as he translated, lol. The only bit not as *literally* translated would be in her last dialogue "...a single person that has this kind of youki" ---> rather than simply "has," it's more like "clad/enveloped" in the original text (i.e. "As far as I know, there isn't a single person that is clad in this kind of youki.") Just a very very very minor point that only gives you very very very slightly a better idea of the way Galatea speaks and nothing else.

14. Dark Night

Dark Night Registered User

Kenya
    Thanks! That 'though it's mighty' line sounded a bit odd to me, that's why I asked. I mean, I don't recall anyone saying someone had a 'mighty' youki. Large, huge, enormous, yes, but not mighty.

'Mighty' has (to my ears anyway) an additional connotation about the nature of said youki, not it just being large, but also powerful/strong/potent. Things can get lost in translation so I wondered whether that possible bit about the nature of youki was actually in the original Japanese or just in my head :^_^

Utsune likes this.
  15. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    Oh right, if it's the word "mighty" you're questioning, the original is kyoudai 強大. It is exactly as you say! "Mighty" here is a pretty convenient translation in that the 'feel' of the word can be a mixture of being 'strong' and 'large,' which is what the kanji here literally implies. It's not just a quantity, but a quality ^^

---------- Post added June 05, 2014 at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was May 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM ----------

Just a quick note regarding one of Teresa's comments:

After giving it a bit more thought, I think an alternative translation can be:

"If I hadn't read your youki beforehand, I don't know how many times I would have been hit."

littleangel, J3ssica, serpico and 3 others like this.
  16. Goral

Goral Registered User

Poland
    Thank you again Utsune. Gernot has also pointed out that:
    BTW Utsune, how would you translate the title? GEG's translation is a bit diffirent so I was wondering what other word could be used besides "peerless".

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  17. serpico

serpico Registered User

Winterfell
    However that comments make it up sound stupid (as it Cassandra was more dangerous than the execution party)
    even it Cassandra body moves ar weird (her swordsmanship should remain the same below average)
    bothersome comments from Teresa part)

18. Utsune

Utsune 風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも

Holy Britannian Empire
    無二の称号:
    無二: Literally "No two." Comes from 唯一無二 (唯一: lit. The Only One) Anything along the lines of "none other" would do fine, methinks.
    称号: Title, name.

19. Goral

Goral Registered User

Poland
    Well, the link you gave gives "unrivaled, unmatched, peerless, unmatchable, nonpareil, one and only, matchless, one, unrivalled" so the way I see it Waychanger's translation is spot on. And it pretty much ends the "who is stronger, Teresa or Priscilla debate" :P.

serpico likes this.
  20. Valgav

Valgav Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Poland
    Hi all . From start i would like to apologize all 4 my bad enhlish :3 - writing is hard 4 me . I got two questions if any one could spare some free time to answer them i would be grateful . 1.generally how good is viz transulation [ from 1 < 10 ] . 2. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/claymore/v08/c040/25.html last panel ,, move... yor arm ....'' how it stands in orginal - and http://www.mangahere.co/manga/claymore/v08/c040/19.html first panel ,, it means yo're not fit to battle that one-horned monster .'' seen translation where Ophelia refers to herself ,,, fit to fight this one monster ''