Shounen Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
716
Reaction score
622
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
I don't have one either.

I personally think none of them are fleshed out enough yet (despite being on 41 chapters). They have background but I can't see any growth....because Kageyama and Hinata get too much focus. But the mangaka doesn't expand on it as much as I'd like. On paper, those two are the main characters, they are also skilled in their own way, but on the courts they look like n00bs. I get the vibe that Hinata's supposed to eventually grow into the main powerhouse role of the team towards the end, but I feel like he already is, just because the other team members don't get enough limelight. It's like...a walking contradiction...?

But all in all, it's still only the beginning, still early, so we'll see. The others will play their part later in the games I guess.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

@cearon

Eh, I don't believe so. Maybe Sugawara, because he was present in their old match, but not Yamaguchi.

Their opponent seems to specialize in blocking, Nishinoya will probably play a major role in keeping the team alive (compared to last time). And maybe Sugawara will sub in when Kageyama can't come up with a plan to break their defense.

The thing is, this chapter gives it away that they're banking on everybody focusing on Hinata and them letting Asahi and Tanaka loose with the unmarked spikes. But that's so naive when we saw what happened to them with Nekoma.

On another note, this match could probably be when Asahi shines, so he can redeem himself from the last time.
 
Last edited:

Juin Jutsu Team

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
172
Reaction score
408
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
lq raw of chapter 40: HERE
lq raw of chapter 41: HERE

---------- Post added December 13, 2012 at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was December 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

lq raw chapter 42: HERE

---------- Post added December 20, 2012 at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was December 13, 2012 at 05:10 AM ----------

spoiler pics of chapter 43: HERE
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Great batch of releases, the match was mainly used to show that Karasuno is still lacking a team play. They have talented players but Nekoma was using its talents on a team way whereas Karasuno was using it too individually (last 7-8 points from the final set of the first game excluded)

Karasuno has potential but their team pkay needs to be polished
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
I actualy didnt wanted to write about the 44th chapter but;

This chapter actually made me feel good in several different levels. Furudate doesnt just goes for classic hinata kageyama duo but also managed to make use of the supporting cast pretty effectively. It showed he isnt just evolving "henjin konbi" (with all due respect "weird combi" seems to lack impact thou cant actually say anything about it since that is what it means.) but every1 else little by little. Also from the other team i kinda liked the browless blocker even if he doesnt speak much his mimics are funny. :) It also was funny seeing Seijou's staff saying " bad, bad" after everything. :rofl
 

Kalyra

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
126
Reaction score
57
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Wow I'm loving this manga so much.. Every character has a different interesting personality I can't pick a favorite XD
And the rival team has some good personalities too.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yes the aftermatch was : whose team has the most weirdos :-)
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yes the aftermatch was : whose team has the most weirdos :-)
Loved that. Haha. Haikyuu! really shines through its characters.

Just caught up with the latest release. The match was great. I had an idea they'd lose, but it was still suspenseful. Loved the art as always.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
All these releases in such a short time. I will get bad habits.
This last match shouldn't take much longer since it seems its purpose is more to show the team progress.
Anyway the last pages were really nice drawn.

---------- Post added January 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was January 18, 2013 at 01:56 PM ----------

Hehe this one was funny, even Kageyama is making the cool face (that surprised me a little, I don't remember if he already acted this way). That's now that we can completely agree with an old post of cearon :-)
well i just read the 41st chapter and i am calling it. Nishinoya is the best character in this manga by far. i liked him since his inception but today with this chapter no1 can come close to him.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
i hope you guys can get till 45th as sson as possible,(thou have to say lynxian dissappointed me with some of the translations. or maybe we get too spoiled by her high lvl translations in Ass. Class. ) the fun starts now. :) Actually i am itching to spoil .......
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ehh?? Please please let me know if/where my translations need work! I'm nowhere near fluent, so I'm always glad when people point out mistakes/mistranslations/etc.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Ehh?? Please please let me know if/where my translations need work! I'm nowhere near fluent, so I'm always glad when people point out mistakes/mistranslations/etc.
I also am not fluent in any stretch of the imagination.these might all be different perspectives or cultural differences too. so sry in advance if you already have thought about those.

In chapter 34 (that is the only chapter i can connect from the VPN to home right now) the conversation between daikichi and the nekoma guy about azumane's interaction with the back-up libero you wrote "all i can see is a guy trolling for reactions." in the original text it seems to me they were making a pun about azumane's intimidating looks and daikichi says " it seems more like kidnapping". also the panel below with nishinoya and nekoma libero they were already talking about him being behind them but 1 panel down when he starts speaking you say "right behind us" [背後] means rear and back but i think it was more like he doesnt even care about seeing me but alright about speaking from the back kind of feel to me.

P.S: Maybe i should have send these as private mail. at work it is kinda hard to use VPN all the time to connect to home network. I am sry if i seem nitpicky or making big deals about nothing.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I also am not fluent in any stretch of the imagination.these might all be different perspectives or cultural differences too. so sry in advance if you already have thought about those.

In chapter 34 (that is the only chapter i can connect from the VPN to home right now) the conversation between daikichi and the nekoma guy about azumane's interaction with the back-up libero you wrote "all i can see is a guy trolling for reactions." in the original text it seems to me they were making a pun about azumane's intimidating looks and daikichi says " it seems more like kidnapping". also the panel below with nishinoya and nekoma libero they were already talking about him being behind them but 1 panel down when he starts speaking you say "right behind us" [背後] means rear and back but i think it was more like he doesnt even care about seeing me but alright about speaking from the back kind of feel to me.

P.S: Maybe i should have send these as private mail. at work it is kinda hard to use VPN all the time to connect to home network. I am sry if i seem nitpicky or making big deals about nothing.
No, no, I'm really appreciative of the feedback! Evidently, I'd mistyped 誘拐犯 (yuukaihan) as 愉快犯 (yukaihan) and didn't even notice (usually I'm able to catch blunders like that... ack). As for 背後, I understood it as them commenting that Nishinoya was literally right behind them, as opposed to staring at them from a distance like he was doing a few panels prior.
 

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
716
Reaction score
622
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
As for 背後, I understood it as them commenting that Nishinoya was literally right behind them, as opposed to staring at them from a distance like he was doing a few panels prior.
Have to agree, that's how I read it too. Your translations are pretty spot on. Any errors would be just nitpicking. Like, 41, when Nishinoya does the rolling thunder, you had "Hrm...rolling...thunder...again!", but another translation has it with [改良版], "Hrm...rolling...thunder...revised version!". If you read it as the latter, what Hinata and Kageyama say in the following panel flows a bit better.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hinata is becoming a very good player. How he opened the path for asahi as a decoy was well done. Karasuno is playing its game more united than their previous game against Nekoma.

I look forward to more
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I had two thoughts at the end of chapter 46: "Super badass" and "is that even legal?"

But seriously
can you use your feet?
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I actually looked it up when I first read the chapter, and

Evidently, you can. It depends on which rules the competition is using, but junior high/high school rules allow the ball to hit your foot (you just can't kick it - so Noya's move is perfectly legal in that regard). Some rules, like those for college, allow you to kick the ball as well.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know that (which is weird, as I am actually a fan of volleyball), so that's super cool, and shows Furudate's commitment to making this stuff work, huh.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I actually knew that (why??) so I expected him to do that the moment he looked at the ball. Still, that page!! Incredible.
I'm hooked for the next chapter.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was surprised too at first so it even make me looked to the rules. I doubt we will have a third set so the match will probably be over next chapter. The team sure has grown as a all and we already know what Hinata hs to improve next : his service.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Btw there is a street game in Asia which is a kind of volley ball with only the foot. I don't know the name though
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I used to play a lot of school volleyball and using a foot is not a fault as long as it isn't considered as a kick (let's say it has to be a pass, save, reflex). It's mostly used as a save in case the ball can't be saved by your hands. It is allowed, no worries and the mangaka drew it out pretty well since nishinoya could only save the ball by foot.


Great chapter, now it's up to asahi to break that iron wall. I don't like the idea of a third set. This is the time for Nishi's and Asahi's win. So One More Time :-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top