Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

 
Last edited:

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
And of course, it wouldn't be a worst character list without Satsuki, right @Linali? :tem
She got honorable 6th place right after my most despicable Big 5 :hee Seriously, she's getting on my nerves with her squeaking fangirlism over Kuroko, I don't buy her being one-man-CIA and I can't forget, that in the turning point of the backstory of GoM she's done nothing - NOTHING - to help her friends (especially her childhood friend, with whom she was the closest for years and who suffered the most), but played damsel in distress and made Kuroko carry this burden alone instead. What was her purpose in the story anyway? :errr
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
6 Points
We put the lotion on the skin...

Sieg

Fate Apocrypha
GrySun

Hakuei Ren
Magi
Linali

Haruyuki Arita
Accel World
zimbardo
​

Hinamori Momo
Bleach
Juviii

Hyuuga Hinata
Naruto
Emperor Spriggan

Kakashi Hatake
Naruto
uberfayt

lebreau Fermet
Baccano
Erinyes

Sei Sakuraoka
Gantz
FaustXIII

Troyard Slaine
Aldnoah Zero
Nii

Yui
Sword Art Online
BluePegasus​



After Nii's Near-boner, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore...
So, what is wrong with Troyard?

Contradictory behaviour, lots and lots of it. Incomprehensible as well. Together with Inaho the main reason the show ended up being bad.

Now only a quick one as I have stuff to do today - so wanted to get 2 lists out in rapid succession
I get why he is how he is - representing a kid who is bullied and retreats to an 'imaginary' (though it really kinda isn't) world, to get away from it all.
But the character is so painful to go through - there comes a point when you can't take any more self loathing.

Also, I dunno what more kuroyukihime could do to prove that she loves him. She says so directly, she proves so directly - she could probably take all her clothes off and Honda sumo-drop onto his face and the guy would be totally oblivious.

It's a trope I find tedious at times (when overdone) - and it's more than painful in Accel World.
 
Last edited:

Elusia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
11,568
Country
Philippines
She got honorable 6th place right after my most despicable Big 5 :hee Seriously, she's getting on my nerves with her squeaking fangirlism over Kuroko, I don't buy her being one-man-CIA and I can't forget, that in the turning point of the backstory of GoM she's done nothing - NOTHING - to help her friends (especially her childhood friend, with whom she was the closest for years and who suffered the most), but played damsel in distress and made Kuroko carry this burden alone instead. What was her purpose in the story anyway? :errr
To not have an all male cast? :invalid

....that's all I can think of, honestly. So far, I like your worst characters list and I see why you don't like them.
Hakuei Ren
Magi
Linali​
....Wait, what?
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,617
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Wow :awe Where should I start to disagree with you...?

Jk, I know, what you mean, but the only thing I disagree with is a scale of the case. If you read or watch FT you mentioned, then friendship cringe in other series wouldn't be such a problem for you - trust me, nothing is near FT level. As for KnB - basketball is team sport and team spirit is very emphasized, as GoM - series main villains - forgot, how important it is. Is Kagami really main representant of this "philosophy"? I wouldn't say so, it was always Kuroko and Kiyoshi, who were more team-oriented players for me. And who said, that Kagami is skilled enough to play equally against GoM? Tbh, I'm a fan and I always felt, that he's behind them. Which is absolutely understandable - before he moved to Japan, he was playing streetball for fun with his friends, not training with professional coach like the war was about to start. He has a potential to stand against GoM (which was confirmed by both Kagetora and Aomine, and iirc Kise also mentioned it), but he's not on par with them by any means. He can't stop Kise's Perfect Copy, he can't jump as long, as Midorima is able to shot, he can't stop Aomine if he's at least a bit serious, he's not able to cover as wide range of court as Murasakibara does and Akashi was making him his bish before he's confidence started to crumble. But Kagami's training hard to get better and you can actually see the results. Compare him in first matches against Shuutoku and Touou and later second times with the same teams - there's a progress :zomg And he's not a machine either, because he's giving his all in every match, he pays for it with stamina and injuries. Zone is completely another category, so I won't include it here.

I also disagree with the statement, that Seirin wins because of "Kagami's asspulls alone". None Seirin team member is unnecessary, only because they are not as visible as Kagami, doesn't mean, that all they do is to stand and wait for their ace to win a match for them. They're a bit in the shadows, but they have their 5 minutes each and they're doing their jobs well enough. As for defense ring - I need to reread a final match, but wasn't it already a moment, when evil!Akashi started to break down? That might be a reason, why he didn't take up a challenge.
:nod
I expected you'd defend him :awe I do get what you mean, but I'd say you downplay the issues related to him in the story rather than me exaggerating the scale of it. I don't know FT, so maybe your bottom line of what you accept is further below than mine. Or me being too picky? :hmm

Yes basketball is a team sport, but that shouldn't be giving one player superpowers just because of his friends. Seirin was supposed to win by teamplay, a common trope/theme for the MC's team in sports stories, like for Karasuno in Haikyuu, but Karasuno actually plays and wins by their teamplay, which is where I believe Seirin failed in the execution. Teppei, Hyuga and Shun did a lot themselves too yes, but most of the weight was carried by Kagami and Kuroko, where Kuroko's power is extreme plot convenience(he'd be close to coming onto my list himself) but Kagami is even worse than that by what he does is surpassing simple convenience and just becoming unbelievable. He improved a lot before the winter cup(everyone in Seirin did), and he can manage the GoM decently, but he overperformed waaay too much in every winter cup game they played for it to remain realistic. When it was looking bad against Touou Kagami entered the zone the first time and stayed in it longer than someone who was in the zone multiple times, for the given reason of "fighting with more than 1 man's strength!". Against Yosen when they were getting crushed Kagami's zone again lasted forever and made him 1v5 Yosen :fail Against Kise he never entered the zone, but the Kise match has other flaws unrelated to Kagami... and the final match his zone powers were extremely out of proportion again. You say he "pays for it with stamina and injuries" but apart from the early leg injury at the start against Midorima he never had any drawbacks again, so what is he paying?

Seirin's overreliance on Kagami's zone just doesn't sit well with me at all. It could've been handled so much better, since as you said teamplay was supposed to be what the GoM lacked and Seirin showed them how important it is, but teamplay wasn't what let them win critical situations, but extreme Kagami powerups.

Iirc the defense ring was much before Akashi broke down, but would need to recheck it too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What was her purpose in the story anyway? :errr
This was most certainly the reason she was there:


:cookiehand

As well as ruining yaoi ships for the fujoshis. :lick

I expected to see her here from you :XD You told me your thoughts on her before and I agree, just don't think she was significant enough to warrant enough hate to be on such a list. But certainly a bad character.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Probably one of the most unpopular opinions ever, but... Near > L.

And no, I'm not joking or trolling, I actually liked Near as a char and never was a fan of L :XD
.... :noworry

Near isn't as bad as many make him out to be, and despite reading zimb's thoughts I still think he's overreacting and putting the blame for the awful 2nd part of Death Note onto him, but for me Near was one of the only interesting parts of the 2nd season. Mello was quite awful, as was the story, and many of the characters from the 1st part of DN all degraded in quality.

But still, all that aside, Near is basically a cheap imitation of L, and that lazy approach for his character is enough for me to dislike him.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Hakuei Ren
Magi
Linali
@Linali I wish I put her on my list too :notlikethis Another one of the characters my brain blocked off when making the list it seems. She's top5 material for sure.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
But still, all that aside, Near is basically a cheap imitation of L, and that lazy approach for his character is enough for me to dislike him.
Aye, this.

I dunno - I just really disliked the 2nd part of Death Note.
Perhaps I am putting the blame all onto Near, but I have blanked out most of the 2nd half from my memory.

No matter how much I try to scrub those memories out, however, his stain was almost impossible to wash out.



It's probably because I liked Death Note [pt. 1] so much, why I can only think of Near in a negative light.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,617
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I know what you mean. Was one of the first shows I watched that disappointed me so heavily and made me feel empty and confused :neutral Why.

Like Bel said even Light's character was much worse than he was in the first part, and what used to be a cool plot turned into a mess.

I like how at least the opening of the 2nd part foreshadows how awful it became with how much worse the 2nd opening is compared to the 1st one.
 

Elusia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
11,568
Country
Philippines
Aye, this.

I dunno - I just really disliked the 2nd part of Death Note.
Perhaps I am putting the blame all onto Near, but I have blanked out most of the 2nd half from my memory.

No matter how much I try to scrub those memories out, however, his stain was almost impossible to wash out.



It's probably because I liked Death Note [pt. 1] so much, why I can only think of Near in a negative light.
:derp

To be frank, I'm one of the few people who even like the second half, but it's not because of Near or Mellow. It's Light himself. To see this benevolent character turned into the most despicable character shows that the DN can corrupt anyone even with good reasons
And that his death is both heartbreaking and satisfying, even though the manga depicts it better than the anime.
You can still love Death Note without the second half. It's very loved and popular because of it. But there's some good things that came out of it.
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
To not have an all male cast? :invalid
You have thought of more reasons of her existance that I could :super
....Wait, what?
Surprise :derp Well, it's not that I hate her, I'm just disappointed, how she was handled by Ohtaka. When she was introduced, she caught my attention. I thought she's going to be a strong individual female character with guts and I like strong individual female characters with guts. But in the end she turned out to be a blind follower and hypocrite like many others, who prefers to believe in words of one man rather than turn around and see, what's going on around her. And just like with Momoi - what do you do, when you see, that person the closest to you starts to act strange? Nothing :errr You don't give a single damn, until it's too late and you can only apologize. Well, at least she was useful once - for a villain, but still.
I expected you'd defend him :awe I do get what you mean, but I'd say you downplay the issues related to him in the story rather than me exaggerating the scale of it. I don't know FT, so maybe your bottom line of what you accept is further below than mine. Or me being too picky? :hmm

Yes basketball is a team sport, but that shouldn't be giving one player superpowers just because of his friends. Seirin was supposed to win by teamplay, a common trope/theme for the MC's team in sports stories, like for Karasuno in Haikyuu, but Karasuno actually plays and wins by their teamplay, which is where I believe Seirin failed in the execution. Teppei, Hyuga and Shun did a lot themselves too yes, but most of the weight was carried by Kagami and Kuroko, where Kuroko's power is extreme plot convenience(he'd be close to coming onto my list himself) but Kagami is even worse than that by what he does is surpassing simple convenience and just becoming unbelievable. He improved a lot before the winter cup(everyone in Seirin did), and he can manage the GoM decently, but he overperformed waaay too much in every winter cup game they played for it to remain realistic. When it was looking bad against Touou Kagami entered the zone the first time and stayed in it longer than someone who was in the zone multiple times, for the given reason of "fighting with more than 1 man's strength!". Against Yosen when they were getting crushed Kagami's zone again lasted forever and made him 1v5 Yosen :fail Against Kise he never entered the zone, but the Kise match has other flaws unrelated to Kagami... and the final match his zone powers were extremely out of proportion again. You say he "pays for it with stamina and injuries" but apart from the early leg injury at the start against Midorima he never had any drawbacks again, so what is he paying?

Seirin's overreliance on Kagami's zone just doesn't sit well with me at all. It could've been handled so much better, since as you said teamplay was supposed to be what the GoM lacked and Seirin showed them how important it is, but teamplay wasn't what let them win critical situations, but extreme Kagami powerups.

Iirc the defense ring was much before Akashi broke down, but would need to recheck it too.
So it was Zone, what you were talking about :facepalm You could start with that. As I said Zone is another story and the reason I believe Kagami can stay in it far longer than others is a special condition for entering the Zone only he has - fighting to protect his teammates. I believe that it is also a reason, why do you see Kagami as main representant of "friendship power" and it's understandable (especially because Kagami is loud and usually say all those lame rainbow lines that were born in that stupid head of his :XD). But Zone is a special state and no one can compete with that unless they're in zone themselves. And why couldn't Kagami enter it, since he meets all conditions (1 - natural talent to basketball, 2 - to love this sport with one's all might). The timing was convenient, I'm not gonna argue with that, but it was forced by two factors - Aomine entering it and Kagami's special condition. And just to make one thing clear - this whole "protecting my nakama" makes me roll my eyes too (thanks for destroing the beauty of friendship for me, Mashima :-_-), but Kagami has other traites I love in him.
As for Kagami's payment - you're right, we know about one injury, but it made him out from 2,5 important matches and many trainings, so I think it's pretty significant one. And stamina - he had problems in first Shuutoku match after he used too much strenght in Seiho's one (even though he was benched for a while), he fall asleep in the lockerroom after Touou's match and during Yosen's last attack he wasn't even able to stand. So yep, there are moments, when his body refused to cooperate and he can do nothing with that.
And I wasn't talking about Akashi's final break down, it was slow process which went on through all match.

Ehhh, let's just agree to disagree, but if you want to comment what I wrote here, then go on :D
@Linali I wish I put her on my list too :notlikethis Another one of the characters my brain blocked off when making the list it seems. She's top5 material for sure.
Nah, don't worry. Good to know I'm not the only one tho ;) Just curious - where would you place her?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
This was most certainly the reason she was there:
:cookiehand
Maybe for you :lick
As well as ruining yaoi ships for the fujoshis. :lick
Don't underestimate the power of fujoshi :lmao
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Sieg definitely is another good choice for the list Gry :XD But I didn't put him on my list bc he remained a blank cardbox from start to finish. I usually put charas on my list I find (potentially) interesting at first, only for them to turn to shit or really bad. Sieg I always found boring, so I don't particularly dislike him or anything, I just don't care.

Hinata Hyuuga... spicy choice @Emperor Spriggan :lambirb

.... :noworry

Near isn't as bad as many make him out to be, and despite reading zimb's thoughts I still think he's overreacting and putting the blame for the awful 2nd part of Death Note onto him, but for me Near was one of the only interesting parts of the 2nd season. Mello was quite awful, as was the story, and many of the characters from the 1st part of DN all degraded in quality.

But still, all that aside, Near is basically a cheap imitation of L, and that lazy approach for his character is enough for me to dislike him.
Well I don't agree, but it's been too long since I last watched/read Death Note, so I can't say for sure whether I would still feel the same nowadays. Personally I loved the deconstruction of Light, and I thought Near being at least somewhat similar to L was the whole point and not exactly lazy, but I guess in this case I just feel different than most others.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Glad to see Near was a shared pick of ours, @zimbardo. Funny, then, that we disagree so utterly on your other pick from the 5-point batch, seeing as Usopp is one of my favorite characters of One Piece. :XD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Not at all surprised my 5- and 6-pointers are shared picks. Actually I think probably my 7-pointer might be the only unique one left of mine.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You can still love Death Note without the second half. It's very loved and popular because of it. But there's some good things that came out of it.
Sure, and I do.
If I didn't, then it wouldn't be on this list - 'cause it's expected that bad manga would have bad characters.

Death Note would never make it into my list of top 10 bad Manga.

However, when I'm judging a series I feel it's best to take it as a whole - not just miss the bits I don't like.

As a character, I feel that neither Near nor Mello improve the series.
If anything, they forcefully extend it.

I'd much rather read a short but satisfying whole, with a nice start, middle, and a satisfying conclusion (as, to me, it had at the end of the 1st half), than a longer series, which appears to be drawn out and extended far past the point where it should have ended.

Near did that to the series - therefore, his character 'ruined the whole' for me.

Something like that
 
Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
For those of you who don't remember this character;

She's the Lara Croft ripoff that was basically just the subject of Kurono Kei's sexual frustration:

When I was reading the chapter my friend asked me if she was Lara Croft.Lol
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
18,568
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
7 Points
That feeling when you step on an upturned nail - sharp, hot, immediate, pain

Hideki

Chobits
Juviii

Katsuki Bakugo
Boku no Hero Academia
GrySun

Kino
Kino’s Journey: The Beautiful World
Organizized

Kotoko Aihara
Itazura na Kiss
Brandish

Lisanna Strauss
Fairy Tail
Elusia

Ouma Shuu
Guilty Crown
Nii

Tseriednisch
Hunter x Hunter
Erinyes

Viktor
Yuri!!! on Ice
BluePegasus​




Again, I lack the uniqueness of a 7 pointer
Ouma Shuu:

Started okay, then went to hell together with the series

Seeing as I missed 2 days, kinda, I felt that it'd be nice to get at least one more out tonight - before I sort out kids/work (though, these two can often be used interchangeably)


There's the list, now before we get to all the shared picks, it's time to rage on

 
Last edited:

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
Nate River was the worst character in Death Note, he was just a "mini-L" without even half of the charisma of his predecessor. The fact that he managed to catch Light through several assumptions based on sheer luck was too much for me (the way he figured out Mikami aka "X kira" was just terrible for example).

But, Im one of those that still liked Death Note Part 2. Sure it was weaker than when L was around but it also left many good moments and insight into Light's true self.
Like, people tend to complain that Light should have won, that his view was just another idea of justice and seeing him win would have been cool, but the reality is that Light was a textbook psychopath playing god, and him losing his scheduled path and getting pressured to the point of underestimating his new foes was a delight to see.

In other words, I was very satisfied with the end that Light met because it gave a lot of meaning to his journey as a character, if the series ended with L's death alone then yeah, dark unexpected finale, but it would have also felt empty imo.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Katsuki Bakugo
Boku no Hero Academia
GrySun
I agree with pretty much everything you say Herr Gry, but not with this :lambirb

He might have made it into the list at the beggining of the manga (Season 1 anime) but right now Bakugo is one of the best characters in BnHA, to the point he has completely overshadowed Todoroki. The series wouldn't be this good without him.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Agree with Lambu, though I honestly don’t think early Bakugo would’ve fit the list either. Always considered him one of the very best characters of the series.

Though I haven’t read it in some time since I want to save up and read it arc by arc. But from the very start Bakugo’s character was one of the most intriguing to me, and that only grew as I read on.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Oh, and for those who know me and know Kino’s Journey (2003) is one of my favorite anime of all time (and I included Kino on my favorite anime characters list), the Kino I included on this one is Kino from the 2017 anime. Is she really one of the worst characters of all time? Maybe not, but that’s what it felt like while watching the way they ruined her (just like the entire show), so consider this a protest vote.
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Just as I thought, my 7-pointer is not here :XD I expect them to be high, maybe even top 10.

@Elusia, Lisana is great example of a character, who was more useful, when she was dead. Thankfully she was on-screen so rarely, that I was forgetting about her existance for most of the time :fan
 

Juviii

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
14,777
Gender
Female
Country
Portugal

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
There is a saying that bad female characters are those who are all about a male love interest and exist for that reason alone, without any motivations of their own. Most of the time, this holds true.

If that's the case, the bottom-feeder version would be a female who devotes herself to a guy who treats her like trash. As such, the gold medal goes to Kotoko from Itazura na Kiss, imho.
  • The reason she likes Irie is because he's a 'hearthrob';
  • Irie treats her like a peasant when he's in a good mood, and she rarely is hurt by it;
  • Probably because she's absent-minded, which feeds this fkd up cycle. Still, she is a doormat in any scene they are together. Oh, and this stupidity is pawned off as determination too, Jesus H Christ;
  • They were forced to live under the same roof, and Kotoko was cringe;
  • For some inexplicable reason Irie marries her. Let someone you crush on treat you like scum of the earth and eventually they'll marry you - msg received :verily;
  • And this marriage starts about 10 eps in, and lingers;
  • Kotoko wants to become a nurse because Irie will be a doctor;
  • By the end of it, the status quo never changes. Irie is still a prick, Kotoko is still a muppet. Absolutely no change in them or their fkd up relationship.
There's more, definitely, I haven't seen it in ages.

Another part that annoys me is that I finished this 2-cour anime, and for a split second I was happy Kotoko got her man. How embarrassing. For this shame, Kotoko was a first ballot choice in my top 10.


Usopp - I like him quite a bit, but agree he does have tedious times. That bit in Dressrosa where he ran away was one of the worse chapters/moments in One Piece..
Also, Ren Hakuei... x Kouen :twitch
 
Top