Moriarty was waiting for me outside Da Vinci’s workshop. Normally, a person would give a clue from their posture of what to expect, but the professor was a different breed. I couldn’t get a clear read from him of what lay beyond the door. The two of us are a study in contrasts - one devoted to truth and the other to lies.
“You’re late.” He said with a matter-of-fact tone.
“You’re early.” I replied, speculating whether he was connected to the incident. Fighting back a yawn, I asked “What do we have here?” He pushed the door open for me.
If the body had been human, the stench of rot would have been overpowering. Since the victim was a servant, those normal signs of death were hidden except for the visual carnage. Da Vinci lay sprawled on her back on the floor beside her desk. Blood pooled around her. A heavy wound through her stern was the most likely cause of her demise. Most likely a blow from another servant. Nothing in the room seemed to be disturbed from my memory of how it looked yesterday. The chair wasn’t even overturned, despite her odd position next to it. Almost like she died as soon as she stood from sitting. She didn’t put up a defense. That didn’t rule out the possibility of the scene being staged. Had the attacker or attackers had cleaned up after the incident?
“She knew her attacker. The attacker then surprised her, leaving no time for thought since she’s a pretty quick read on situations.”
“No doubt a servant.”
“Elementary my dear Moriarty.”
“Holmes, never say those words to me again.”
I smiled, wanting to ruffle his feathers more. Passing on the moment, “It will be hard to find a clue here. Although it seems less like a Berserker would do something like this. There are a couple of class servants who would be perfect for a kill like this, but the majority of the servants here and their masters here will have to be suspected. Nobody is safe.”
“Motives aside, the kill isn’t a singularity. Leonardo was not our only victim in the night. It seems that people were very busy last night.”
Moriarty took his leave, and I followed. Down the hall we traveled. Unsurprisingly, the second murder was much more brutal.
Arjuna seemed to have put up a fight before he died. The difference in attack also made it obvious that the killers were not the same person as the first. It wasn’t not obvious if the second one was planned or not. Were the two murders connected?
Second victim
“Ishtar.” I mentally called. She appeared with an irritated shrug. “What do you want?”
“Lockdown Chaldea, nobody in or out until this mystery is solved. The site is officially shutdown as ordered by Sherlock, Interim Head of Chaldea.”
“Why me????? omo...”
“Because you’re a goddess and I doubt you had anything to do with this.”
“That sounds like an insult.”
“You can shoot the aggressive ones if they causes a fuss.”
“Really?? Ok!” She vanished in a chaotic cloud of excitement.



!!!!
Laughing at how easy that was, I turned to the man beside me.“Suppose it’s time to interview suspects.”
“We will start with Abigail.”
“Williams? She’s not usually here. I was more thinking you.” I yawned again. Coffee was brewing somewhere. The search for it was almost as important as searching for the suspect.
Moriarty’s smug grin appeared right before he explained, “You can interrogare me, but Abigail appeared last night. Her sudden appearance does beg questioning. Why would a foreigner appear around the time this assassination happens?”
“It could all be a coincidence.”
“You don’t believe in coincidence, stating that is just unreasonable at this point.”
“True.” I said with smile of my own.
“I had Gozen restrain her while we summoned you.”
“That was very noble of you to make that decision.”
“Doing my part in this case to help my fellow servants.”
“And we both know about that nice streak of yours. Now riddle me this, James. How did you know about the murders so quickly? Depending on your answer determines my belief in your innocence. And shall we head toward the cafeteria? I need some stimulant so early in the morning.”
“That’s shameful behavior, Holmes. As a servant, you have no need of food, alcohol, or caffeinated beverages. You should be a barkeeper. As for whether I should be a suspect. Events were leading up to this. Surprised you have not seen them. And it’s only the beginning. I suspect things will get worse before it gets better.”
“Why don’t you start from the beginning then?”