We MH staff have decided to create a new user group for regular chapter reviewers. The review sections in this site have become places of intelligent discussion that we would like to promote and hopefully grow to many series on the site. For those of you who decide to take the time to analyze each new chapter, you will receive status as an MH reviewer.
There are some rules for obtaining this status though
- in order to be recognized, you must produce at least 5 chapter reviews for a single weekly series, 3 for a monthly series, or 8 total for multiple series
- retroactive reviews do not count. You must produce the designated number of reviews each week or month for the most recent chapters
- you must be able to communicate the information and your views clearly with a decent grasp of the English language and grammar
- if after obtaining reviewer status you take a prolonged break from your reviews with no hint of returning, your status may be removed
- after creating 10 reviews for a single series, a sub-board will be created in that review section for your old reviews
There is no real format for reviews and they can be done any number of ways. You can search through the reviews in the Naruto
, and One Piece
sections for various examples of review styles but ultimately, it is best to establish your own unique layout after you get the hang of it. Here are a few general tips
Writing the Reviews
- use a writing program such as Microsoft Word to write your review before posting it. Reviews are quite a bit longer than normal posts and it is easier to see your work than it is in the reply box
- run spell check while writing to minimize the number of language or grammar problems
is a great resource for reviews as authors commonly find basis for characters, events, and techniques in real history
- pictures are not necessary though they can help in sectioning the review and gives the reader a bit of reference back to the material being written about
- if you do use pictures, it is best not to use full pages or extremely large pictures. Very simple art programs like Microsoft Paint can help in using smaller frames from the manga instead
- free image hosts such as Imageshack
can be used to store these pictures.
- if you use a scanlation to obtain these pictures, credit the scanlation you used
- if you use an artwork from an artist other than yourself, be sure to credit them. Most artists also prefer that you link back to the original art, their homepage, or both. It is also good practice to contact the artist when using their art as not all artists are comfortable with their pieces being used outside of their homepages.
On a final note, while we have no problem with those of you who decide to make reviews for multiple series (and sincerely thank those of you with the free time to do this), we suggest that you not try to bite off more than you can chew. These reviews can be quite time consuming and we would prefer to see you make high quality reviews for a single series than overstrain yourself with a second. We also encourage you to start your reviews in sections that lack a reviewer. The ultimate goal of this user group is to establish regular reviewers for as many series as we can and promote this kind of discussion throughout the site.
Art by celesse