PLEASE GIVE DUE CREDITS!! THANKS!!
[Jeanne plunges down into the water.]
The water I had longed for so long...
The water I had wished for so long...
[Drifters]Chapter 24: Kick it out
[T.N.: A song by Boom Boom Satellites, used in a Glico chewing gum CM.]
[Jeanne revives her last moments.]
[Jeanne is bound by chains to a wood post, burning furiously.]
Man: The witch!
May the flames purify you!!
The witch is burning!!
Man 2: Hah! The witch of Orleans!
Show us more!!
I bet your pu**y is really hot right now!!
Ha ha ha ha!!
Jeanne (thinking): A witch...?
But I fought for my people...
I fought for my country...
I fought for God...
[Time seems to freeze, as a portal opens up.]
[E.a.s.y. appears from the portal. Jeanne extends her arm towards her.]
Easy (grinning): Come to me.
You, who have been cast away.
[In a splash, Toyohisa raises Jeanne from the water. Jeanne is surprised, as is Toyohisa.]
Toyohisa: What the hell!?
You are a woman!!
Toyohisa (angry): Why a woman is wearing armor and taking part in battle!?
There is no honor in slaying a woman!!
Go back to your home and live as an ordinary woman!!
Jeanne (angry): .... what...
what do you know...
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT US!?
WE HAVE FOUGHT TO SAVE THE PEOPLE OF FRANCE!!
WE HAVE FOUGHT IN THE NAME OF CHRIST OUR LORD!!
IN THE NAME OF OUR FAITH!! AND STILL...!!
[Toyohisa drives a headbutt onto Jeanne's head.]
Toyohisa: OF COURSE I KNOW NOTHING!!
How the hell am I supposed to know about "France"?!
I have never heard about that country!!
Toyohisa: And what's that "Christ" talk?!
What a waste of time!!
You Western barbarians talk too much nonsense!!
I must make haste now.
I must get his head.
The head of that spearman.
How can I meet my father in the nether worlds
if I'm incapable of getting one single head!?
[Elsewhere, Yoichi is still fighting Gilles. He shoots a lot of arrows, but to no avail.]
Why doesn't he die!?
[Yoichi shoots again and pierces Gilles's eyes.]
Now I got...
[Gilles stands in front of him and launches a move with his chains.]
[Gilles binds Yoichi.]
DON'T LET YOICHI DIE!!
[Several arrows hit Gilles, but he doesn't seem to notice.]
Yoichi (being strangled by chains): Gah...
Elves: H... he is immortal...!?
He is a monster...!!
There are no immortal monsters in this world!!Every single being can be crushed!! Can be killed!!
[Suddenly, a carriage arrives. It's Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid.]
Kid: W... what the fuck is this!?
Cassidy: The hell that I know!!
Nobunaga (surprised): W...
[A man from the carriage stands up.]
Man: Do you hate this world!?
You wandering hatred,
scoured off by the whole Creation!!
Cassidy: This is the last load!!
We'll shove our grit up your ass, porcupine!!
[Cassidy lands a shower of bullets onto Gilles.]
Gilles: La pucelle
Jeanne hadn't gone to hell.[N.T.: "pucelle" is "maid" in French. He's obviously talking about the Maid of Orleans.]
She was right here.
But no longer is she a pucelle
Thus, I will wait in l'enfer
.[N.T.: "l'enfer" means "hell" in French.]Bon voyage
[The body of Gilles crumbles down.]
Man (thinking): As I thought...!!
His body became salt...!!
Nobunaga: What is this?
What does this mean...?
Yoichi (panting heavily): Huff--
Olmine (running towards that man): Great master!!
Man: Magician Olmine, you did a good job.
Thank you, sir!!
Nobunaga: Who the hell are you?
Who the hell are you all?
Man: I am...a man who hates "Offscourings".
I am Olmine's master.
And I am the leader of the "Octobrist" magickal organization.
I am a man who supports you "Drifters".
I am a man whose duty is to destroy them.
To destroy the "Offscourings" who shouldn't exist in this world.
Nobunaga: So, you are also a "Drifter"...
Man: I am Abe.Abe no Haruakira.
[T.N.: HiraKo uses "Haruakira", though the most common pronunciation seen - though not necessarily the correct one - is "Seimei". Abe no Seimei (921-1005) was one of the most famous magicians in Japan.]
Side note: An "Onmyoji", ancient Japanese magician with a vast knowledge, comes from centuries past ---TO BE CONTINUED
Foot note: Drifters 24 end
Continues on the next issue (on sale October 30th).
- So, this seems to be the end of Jeanne's fight and the beginning of the Drifters' coalition...? Will we get to see Hannibal and Scipio arguing with Nobunaga? Most probably Nobunaga will use Butch and Kid's gun as a model to replicate it for their purposes.
- In the Japanese version, Easy makes a reference to the word "Offscouring" when talking to Jeanne. However, using "You, who have been scoured off" seemed to have a slightly different nuance from the original text, so I opted for a different translation. Let's remember that HiraKo writes "Offscouring" and gives the English reading "Ends" to it. But so far, I haven't seen any actual reference to "Ends" in the manga itself - on the contrary - so I'm keeping with "Offscouring" for now.
- Actually, "nether world" is a bit of a Western concept. Perhaps "other world" would be more faithful to the Japanese, but as we seem to have other dimensions where Easy and Murasaki live, for instance, I decided to leave as "nether world" to avoid any misunderstandings.
- HiraKo presented two guys from the Wild Bunch Gang, but haven't told us their names yet. I'm going with Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid so far, but perhaps he may prove me otherwise later. Let us wait and see.
- The "Onmyoji" were magicians, but not quite like Merlin, Gandalf or Simon The Sorcerer (wha? XD). They studied Eastern occultism, but also had a very deep understanding of Astronomy, Astrology, Geography, Medicine and other Natural Sciences.