Games - Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over... | Page 15 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Top Ten Game - Most Overrated Anime - They think it's all over...

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
zimbardo what's the deadline, onegai ? :)
Try to get something to me by this weekend - I'd like to set the deadline for Saturday morning, but I am going to work on both Sat and Sun this weekend. I dunno how long I will be there, but my boss and I want to have a paper submitted before I offski on my Christmas holidays (so it's possible I might be super busy).

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
The Marmite of the manga world. :lmao

I don’t like Natsu, but not sure I agree he’s really the worst of the series. Sure, he’s a walking, talking cliché (“I’M ALL FIRED UP! ... to make a million speeches about friendship) and has the most bullshit sudden deus ex power-ups of any major shonen protagonist, and hardly has any character development and... okay, I don’t like Natsu.
He’s seriously poorly written for a main character, but he didn’t continuously irk me as much as Lucy or Happy, both of whom gave me cringe-feels whenever they appeared after a certain point. I’m not sure which is worse.

In the end, Lucy is a terrible main female protagonist (and should’ve gotten higher points). Natsu is a terrible main male protagonist. And their damn cat made me want to shoot him in the face. When the main trio is that bad, there’s just no saving the series despite other, admittedly better elements.
You forgot to add Natsu is unambitious which irks me personally.

Though Ft had good moments until the Tenrou though fan service was always over the top.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Damnit - I missed the chance for a pun on his name

ah well...

The way that you describe his character Orgy sounds to be what I feel's wrong with many typical [main] Shounen mangas.

It's a list of many of the things which I really dislike about the main characters in that particular sub-genre.

I really, for the life of me, can't understand why people love to read manga after manga where the main characters can be swapped interchangeably between series (and it'd be almost impossible to realise that any switch had ever occurred).

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Not sure if I missed it but my #4 (7points) has not been revealed yet?

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Not sure if I missed it but my #4 (7points) has not been revealed yet?
This one?
16 Points
Death would be a blessing compared to having to see these two again

Gaku Yashiro

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
if so, that might be the first one, someone has called me up on, which I got right!

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Kinda tired of the "let me pick this infamous bad sub and use it to troll/tease/make fun" of x character, especially the Shirou one's so heavily overused... :XD

There honestly isn't much point arguing with anybody who hasn't read the Visual Novel :p And I'm not saying that you will love or don't hate him if you read it, but by my experience almost everyone who did is at worst mostly indifferent to Shirou. It's no surprise that people who watched the old terrible anime dislike him, even the UBW anime doesn't do the most crucial part justice and changes it drastically for whatever reason (talking about the whole Shirou/Archer thing), but even if that was handled perfectly I could still see people disliking him.

To sum it up, anime-only guys can't properly understand Shirou. Perhaps you can get a somewhat better idea once all three Heavens Feel movies are released, but even then it's just not the same. Might sound a bit like an elitist opinion, but it's what I believe :catshrug So once you've read it we can talk about Shirou however much you want, even if you still hate him. Would be worth it, I promise :blushbirb
So you’re saying the Shirou from the visual novel is not the same character as the Shirou from the anime? In that case, reading the visual novel will not make anyone change their thoughts on the anime Shirou. So you can‘t defend him with saying to read the visual novel :rolleyes:
Same with how Orgz listed Kino from Kino‘s Journey but meant a worse version from another adaptation, the Shirou as he is in the anime is pretty unlikeable and poorly executed.

Reactions: Nii

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
3rd place
32 Points
Trapped in an illusionary world - your body used as [a rather inefficient] power source

Nii returns?!?

Actually rather likeable at the start, but only getting worse with each arc. Supposedly the epitome of an awesome underdog, but the more you see the worse it gets. Condescending tone, inexcplicable strength and technique more than once, weird emo problems, a chick magnet for reasons almost no one understands, and the story is trying its damn hardest to make him appear likeable when he just is not. I rest my case.

Yeah, I kinda agree with all that Nii said.

Kirito wasn't terrible at the start, nor was the manga (though, a tad unoriginal), but that was a brief period indeed.

The more I saw of Kirito (and Asuna...) the less I enjoyed the series.

It's one manga which I have no intention of ever picking up again - and one anime which I don't think I will ever wish to start - solely due to how little I care about the main (nor any other, for that matter) characters.

Not all that much more to say, to be honest.

If I knew how the manga was going to be before I read it (as much as I could stomach at least), I'd have rather chosen the blue pill and avoided that journey altogether

Last edited:

Elusia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Oh, Kirito.... what a bad character you are... Or at the moment until Alicization ends and you'll probably be more tolerable.

That's the reason why I didn't put him any higher on my list, but he's still there and with reason. He's just a self-insert character with no substance to make him a bit stand out. Not the worst out of the bunch, but definitely the most popular one.

At the very least, I finally got my answer on how hated Kirito is in this forum. I thank the lovely host for such results :lambirb

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yup.

Yup.

I dropped the SAO anime and it was almost singlehandedly because the lack of character which is Kirito. Seriously, while there are other characters which frustrated me more, and thus ranked higher on my list, this guy is so god damn uninteresting it makes me honest-to-bob angry. He has flashy powers, yeah, those were relatively cool at first, but he has little to no personality, no actual character. All he does is “be strong - make girls swoon”.

One Punch Man does the “incredibly god-like unbeatable OP protagonist from the very start” really well. SOA is basically the anti-OPM in that sense. Honestly, I held on to the anime for longer than I wanted to because I was expecting there to be sooooome kind of character development in Kirito at some point, or at least for some sort of situation to arise where we don’t already know Kirito will flick his finger and pwn everyone. It got ridiculous after a while, the way they tried to create suspense even though - because nothing ever happened to indicate otherwise - everyone knew Kirito would come out on top.

I don’t even know if I’m making sense right now. Writing about him is getting me riled up, and I realize now I should’ve probably placed him higher...

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Kirito in first two seasons is a God damn horrible character.

I am hearing it changes in season 3 but who knows.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
2nd place
36 Points
Face AIDS - yeah, it doesn't exist, but if it did it'd be Obito

Do I even need to say anything? His whole story is one big hot mess, remaining a caricature you're supposed to take seriously until the end. He at least wasn't 100% bad though, that's reserved for my number 1.
Your last pick?!?
Guess it's compilation time!

... gotta get it all out of my system, whilst there's still a chance to do so

Yeah... Nii is wrong about Obito.
There is nothing redeeming about him - he is worse than 100% bad (his 'badness', like the god of the bible, breaks logic, language, and reality).

I bet this pick of mine surprised absolutely no one - at least no one who has ever heard me talk about Naruto before.

This character is the shittiest character in all manga – even characters who are designed to be shitty, or characters from shitty mangas (mangas more shitty than Naruto I mean), are less shit than Obito.

This character went from a joke of an underling, to a mastermind, to a sympathetic narrator, to an evil villain, to a victim, to a corrupted villain again, to an 'unfortunate hero'...

Akatsuki too serious? Not enough ‘funny characters’? -> introduce a masked joke

Want to push the Uchiha-Senju story? -> make Obito the secret leader of the Akatsuki

Want a big reveal? -> have him take off his mask and show that he is a Uchiha (not necessarily a bad thing, in principle, but pretty unnecessary)

Want to humanise Obito (and also help push the bullshit ‘the Uchiha were the victims’ message)? -> Show how Obito used to be kind, but turned following seeing Kakashi kill his [unrequited] lover (she didn't even realise he cared. He said less to her than Hinata said to Naruto... Like, were we really meant to think anything about their 'relationship'?!?)

Want to reintroduce Madara? -> have him, somehow, already know Obito and be guiding him to evilness

Want to redeem the Uchiha? -> (other than trying to pull some sympathetic nonsense with Madara) have Obito try to turn good (Darth Vader style) at the end

His character swung from one thing to another, almost at random.

• His powers – Bullshit and OP, in the way only a Uchiha can be
  • His look – uninteresting
  • His importance to the story - we already had 2 good enough villains [Orochimaru and Pain], who both served different purposes and could each bring interesting things to the story (they were introduced early, hadn't got boring yet, and each had a lot left to offer). There was no need to replace both of them with another, random, Uchiha (perhaps the fact that they weren't Uchiha was the reason they were replaced?!?). By replacing them, as the big bad, he single-handedly ruined their contributions to the manga also (well, excluding Orochimaru's cameo at the end).
  • How threatening he appears – this varies from page to page. Sometimes he is menacing, sometimes an unfortunate victim, sometimes a joke…
  • His master-plan – to put everyone under genjutsu, so he doesn’t have to be upset about his girlfriend/not-girlfriend dying?

He, like Itachi, symbolises the switch in Naruto. The switch being one of the main things I believe led the manga into the mess that it ended up as (see the Itachi post, as it’s kinda the same thing).

Literally my least favourite character in manga (in the anime he’s the same, just with an annoying voice added on).

There was no need for this character – he served no useful purpose in the story (the only ‘purpose’ he served was to ruin it).

I hate him so much!

My only regret, in this whole game, is that there is another character people hate more than Obito.

Also Brand, in relation to your comment
Brandish said:
((can I just put the whole Uchiha clan in?))
Looking at the picks, thus far, and excluding characters who weren't really shown, we pretty much already did
:invalid

Last edited:

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Eh completely forget about Obito.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Eh completely forget about Obito.
Forgetting about the main villain [at one point in that hot mess of the story] from one of the most famous Shounen Jump mangas?!?
... pretty much adding further fuel to the pyre; for the funeral that is his character (and the manga in general).

To be honest, I kinda envy you that you can forget him.

If only it was so easy

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
2nd place
36 Points
Face AIDS - yeah, it doesn't exist, but if it did it'd be Obito

Your last pick?!?
Guess it's compilation time!

... gotta get it all out of my system, whilst there's still a chance to do so

Yeah... Nii is wrong about Obito.
There is nothing redeeming about him - he is worse than 100% bad (his 'badness', like the god of the bible, breaks logic, language, and reality).

I bet this pick of mine surprised absolutely no one - at least no one who has ever heard me talk about Naruto before.

This character is the shittiest character in all manga – even characters who are designed to be shitty, or characters from shitty mangas (mangas more shitty than Naruto I mean), are less shit than Obito.

This character went from a joke of an underling, to a mastermind, to a sympathetic narrator, to an evil villain, to a victim, to a corrupted villain again, to an 'unfortunate hero'...

Akatsuki too serious? Not enough ‘funny characters’? -> introduce a masked joke

Want to push the Uchiha-Senju story? -> make Obito the secret leader of the Akatsuki

Want a big reveal? -> have him take off his mask and show that he is a Uchiha (not necessarily a bad thing, in principle, but pretty unnecessary)

Want to humanise Obito (and also help push the bullshit ‘the Uchiha were the victims’ message)? -> Show how Obito used to be kind, but turned following seeing Kakashi kill his [unrequited] lover (she didn't even realise he cared. He said less to her than Hinata said to Naruto... Like, were we really meant to think anything about their 'relationship'?!?)

Want to reintroduce Madara? -> have him, somehow, already know Obito and be guiding him to evilness

Want to redeem the Uchiha? -> (other than trying to pull some sympathetic nonsense with Madara) have Obito try to turn good (Darth Vader style) at the end

His character swung from one thing to another, almost at random.

• His powers – Bullshit and OP, in the way only a Uchiha can be
  • His look – uninteresting
  • His importance to the story - we already had 2 good enough villains [Orochimaru and Pain], who both served different purposes and could each bring interesting things to the story (they were introduced early, hadn't got boring yet, and each had a lot left to offer). There was no need to replace both of them with another, random, Uchiha (perhaps the fact that they weren't Uchiha was the reason they were replaced?!?). By replacing them, as the big bad, he single-handedly ruined their contributions to the manga also (well, excluding Orochimaru's cameo at the end).
  • How threatening he appears – this varies from page to page. Sometimes he is menacing, sometimes an unfortunate victim, sometimes a joke…
  • His master-plan – to put everyone under genjutsu, so he doesn’t have to be upset about his girlfriend/not-girlfriend dying?

He, like Itachi, symbolises the switch in Naruto. The switch being one of the main things I believe led the manga into the mess that it ended up as (see the Itachi post, as it’s kinda the same thing).

Literally my least favourite character in manga (in the anime he’s the same, just with an annoying voice added on).

There was no need for this character – he served no useful purpose in the story (the only ‘purpose’ he served was to ruin it).

I hate him so much!

My only regret, in this whole game, is that there is another character people hate more than Obito.

Also Brand, in relation to your comment

Looking at the picks, thus far, and excluding characters who weren't really shown, we pretty much already did
:invalid
You tried your damn hardest zimb, so I will finally acknowledge your oniichan vids and say they were mildly amusing :3

As for Obito, I still stick with my statement that he wasn't entirely bad, just that what he turned into and how he was treated was entirely bad. The whole reveal of the mastermind being Obito was just horrible horrible horrible. Kishimoto should've stuck with Madara, Obito should've remained dead. As simple as that.

Also @Brandish that comment :lmao I'm totally with you, the whole Uchiha clan was the bane of this manga.